AFL Autopsy Round 22, 2018 - 8 point loss to Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardwick saying Riewoldt gets a rough deal from the umps lol, every free kick he gave away was absolutely a free against him, maybe if he stopped pushing in the back and stopped sooking maybe he would get free kicks.
He was back to the sooky Jack of old last night. He was gifted one in the goal square by a blatant shepherd off the marking contest by Caddy - didn't see him whinge about that one. Horrendously officiated game.

Finally this completely gacked season is done.

Performance was a big improvement on previous outings against the Tiges in recent times. So that's fun.

A lot of reasons to be excited for 2019 if we can pick a suitable forward structure once all the pieces are fit. Adding a capable mid or two would be saucy too.

Not quite, I'm looking forward to belting Port next week & end the season on a high.

Ths most frustrating thing for me was watching the boys lose confidence with the attacking game and often played wider when there were options through the middle.
The second was Throwmond, some many bullcrap "handballs" from defensive or neutral territory resulted in them entering 50.

Close but yet so far. Effort really good. Fight to the end really good. They just have to get better with what they do around the ground. In key moments the Tigers where just too smart for us. Their positioning and ability to get out of tight spots was better. They play with a clear structure. Players move around those positions like a well oiled machine. We are getting their but we are a bit too much see ball get ball and do not hold our position around the contest as well. We sag off opposition players to go two in at a contest too much and allow outlet players. It is a minor adjustment but it has to happen.

The game showed why the Tigers are what they are. 4 really key players out but the machine still worked.
We just need a couple more pieces in the puzzle. Wallace and Setterfield would be nice if they can pull it off and a full season from Joe and Razz.
On top of this Langford , Parish and Myers closing the gap a little on their good games and the run of the mill games so they are pushing out their 20 to 25 possession games, being involved our 4 quarters.

Our last 12 weeks have been the most consistent we've been since our 1st 16 weeks of 2013.

Players said all pre season this year that the Sydney final hurt them but I guarantee you this entire season will gut them, I personally believe as a club we have turned the hunger back on over the past 3 months.

I think for the 1st time under Woosh we have total buy in from the entire playing list, Wasted season? No way for me, This season was 100% more proactive than last year and as Dev said in his post match we have an identity now.

We should contend next year and I think the players know they can as well.

Our senior players were embarrassing when your captain miskicks the ball with a 50/50 ratio, it's not great viewing. Our 5 player core senior group, Myers, Goddard, Hooker, Heppell, Zaharakis, maybe Colyer, they all turn the ball over regularly and it's cringe to endure. Maybe even Merrett.
They don't really contribute much to effective ball use and or goals, goal assists. They seem to be there to serve some purpose, but watch the Tigers and they all contribute to a great fabric of teamwork that leads to clean ball use and eventually a goal.

Zaharakis and Heppell, maybe I'm being unfair, as they are always going for the ball/contest.

But disposal is just amateur hour.

You can see Devon Smith, Francis, Saad, Mcgrath thinking..."come on guys, you're our senior group", i just put in all that effort and you turned the ball over with no pressure. This sets a cultural precedence over time of mediocrity.

Our last 12 weeks have been the most consistent we've been since our 1st 16 weeks of 2013.

Players said all pre season this year that the Sydney final hurt them but I guarantee you this entire season will gut them, I personally believe as a club we have turned the hunger back on over the past 3 months.

I think for the 1st time under Woosh we have total buy in from the entire playing list, Wasted season? No way for me, This season was 100% more proactive than last year and as Dev said in his post match we have an identity now.

We should contend next year and I think the players know they can as well.

I think a win next week and missing finals by percentage will give them the most hunger for improvement next year.

Please no

I'm not saying he should play on. But its clear the backline listens to him and respect him, which is exactly what you need and want in a coach. I think he can continue to teach them off field next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are overseas and I haven't seen the game but honestly I think we have done so well to retrieve our season from being a total disaster and come within 8 points of the top side....especially after a huge few weeks playing for their lives each week. Last week playing with no rotations in the last quarter would have taken a lot out of them .
Of course its disappointing for us all but now having had 2 years to bring a club back together as 1 instead of 2 halves we are showing some really good signs for next year.
Hopefully next week we'll finish off on a good note for the year.

I know there’s things to be optimistic about for 2019, but for now geez it’s getting monotonous finishing in the mediocre ladder positions and watching Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong go deep into September year after year :eek:
Agree with you there Stu.
Enough of the hope going into next season...
I was optimistic after making the finals last year. Only for the first two months of 2018 to be a complete disaster. In 2019 I want results, i want a full season of this improved playing style... not showing up when the season was cooked.
Do we get any credit next year for what we have done since the Carlton loss?? * no: we start at nil points, so do not take any game for granted.
Anyhow - i will probably re sign like every other lemming!

He was back to the sooky Jack of old last night. He was gifted one in the goal square by a blatant shepherd off the marking contest by Caddy - didn't see him whinge about that one. Horrendously officiated game.

We didn't get too many favours from the umps last night.

We didn't get too many favours from the umps last night.

It was more in the form of what they didn’t pay against you. I lost count of how many times your players threw it or held our men in the contest. A couple of these no-calls resulted directly in Richmond goals.

It was more in the form of what they didn’t pay against you. I lost count of how many times your players threw it or held our men in the contest. A couple of these no-calls resulted directly in Richmond goals.

A lot of teams supporters say this about us. I must admit I haven't noticed but it must carry weight. I know we do block a fair bit off the ball. It's a tactic we've employed since last year. Umpires sometimes pay it. Most of the time they don't though.

Thought you guys had a few underdone blokes all night and will definitely be a contender next year. Really liked Francis game and mentioned on the Richmond board I don't often see Jack outpositioned by his opponent but Hurley definitely had his measure last night. You could tell it was frustrating Jack.

I know there’s things to be optimistic about for 2019, but for now geez it’s getting monotonous finishing in the mediocre ladder positions and watching Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong go deep into September year after year :eek:

Yes but all have some very good top end players who have played finals a lot. Hawthorn still have several premiership players so it is hardly a big shock that with a few good young players they have jumped up a bit.

Myers, Goddard, Hooker, Heppell, Zaharakis, maybe Colyer, they all turn the ball over regularly and it's cringe to endure. Maybe even Merrett.
They don't really contribute much to effective ball use and or goals, goal assists.

Serious?? Last night? Always?

A lot of teams supporters say this about us. I must admit I haven't noticed but it must carry weight. I know we do block a fair bit off the ball. It's a tactic we've employed since last year. Umpires sometimes pay it. Most of the time they don't though.

Thought you guys had a few underdone blokes all night and will definitely be a contender next year. Really liked Francis game and mentioned on the Richmond board I don't often see Jack outpositioned by his opponent but Hurley definitely had his measure last night. You could tell it was frustrating Jack.
Jack got a goal from Caddy's block on Francis in the goal square on the ball, it's not just blocking or holding off the ball that I noticed last night. It's an effective technique, playing on the edge of the rules (Ritchie McCaw of the ABs used to play on the edge of the rules, with great effect too.) If the whole team does it constantly the umpires can't pick all of the infringements up all of the time. It works.

I'm not saying he should play on. But its clear the backline listens to him and respect him, which is exactly what you need and want in a coach. I think he can continue to teach them off field next year.
The looks on thier faces don't say respect to me. Pretty sure Zacha and Joe weren't say yeah mate I respect you. Quiet the opposite

Unfortunately Dea was at fault for almost half the goals Richmond scored.

He tends to ball watch a lot, and while he does some stuff well and had some good games for us I don't think he is ever going to lose that habit.

Last edited:
The looks on thier faces don't say respect to me. Pretty sure Zacha and Joe weren't say yeah mate I respect you. Quiet the opposite
Goddard got stuck into Hurley after Goddard and Francis watched Caddy mark unopposed on the goal line and then goaled. Hurley's look said "what the *?".

Goddard then fumbled in the 3rd quarter and gave McKenna a talking to as though he was responsible. Then he fumbled again and gave McKenna and McGrath a talking to. McKenna actually pays attention to what he says, or at least pretends that he does. McGrath appeared to act as though "whatever".

Goddard runs hot and cold. He does 3-4 bad things (dropped marks and fumbles, mis directed passes) and then has a patch where he does some nice things. When he was at his peak, he would rarely make a mistake.

Redman looks like Goddard, plays like Goddard and makes less mistakes. 2019 In: Redman.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back