Review Round 22 2018 - Collingwood 115-64 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The comment above was funny - SwanDaneFan1991 did De Goey somehow steal the shinbones spirit after his manager utensil-teased them?

Look one thing has been unsaid - our backline coaches need a fine case of scotch sent to them. With a second-gamer of Madgen, a broken backline we still kept Port to under 70 points with a forward line of Gray, Ryder and their reasonable midfield. Our defensive structure is so good that we can apparently just sub in our reserve reserves and it still works. Kudos to them.

Langers just heroic today. Not lackadaisical but focused and confident today. Was the reason we remained so stingy in our back half and kept the dangerous Robbie to one goal only.

Aish coming along nicely. Sier getting more inside 50s than most of our other midfielders. Murph in his first game looking like a regular fixture. Jades still performing incredibly in his first year. How did we strike gold across so many veins in such demanding circumstances?

The Collingwood curse is lifted. Bucks will lead us to a Premiership this year or next. It is destined.

I am so happy

I have never been called out in a post before, which deserves a raised eye brow (o_O) and a LOL :)))

Few pointers on an excellent, and positive post:

- How many jokes do you think we can make about shinbones before it gets old? This one was fairly hilarious. De-Goey-ng nowhere!! If they ran out of time to make finals because Ben Brown took 60 seconds for every 30 second allotment to kick his half ton for the year, why should we help them out? :rolleyes:

- Silver lining. Port Adelaide aren't sh*t. Ken Hinkley, despite being a real so-and-so (I said worse elsewhere here), has them well drilled. He inherited from Primus a team that had turned into a rabble (see round 20 2011. Giggity :p), and has them well drilled, and silky skilled when they are on. Why else hadn't we beat them since 2014? Same with Adelaide. Now we have been both Adelaide teams by eight goals this year. Our boys are definitely on, and this was after many panicked because we didn't seem to have a KPD!

- Well done on using "lackadaisical" in a sentence. I had to check the pronunciation and I have been doing it wrong ALL this time. Even wobble supporters can be Rhodes' Scholars! I would agree with your assessment, since the use of the adjective "nonchalant" might imply he is an A-grader multiple AA Dustin Martin sh*t sort of a bloke. He is a plodder, and he has come on leaps and bounds. I am stealing "Langers" too. Sue me! :cool:

- I am relieved to see Aish running around again. Seeing him pop up means he must be getting a few possies, and I remember a game against Wet Toast at the 'G in 2016, him kicking a crucial goal, and that was the first time I noticed him.

- Sier reminded me a lot of Swanny, and he is a MASSIVE unit, but correct me if I am wrong, the bloke keeps kicking box kicks (rugby union reference) with his left foot, that seem to go nowhere on occasion? Watch the replay for what I mean, because he did it a few times. Once he actually kicked it on half back, backwards, and Murphy (#28 if I am wrong) took the mark!

- I fair dinkum said to my brother Bucks was "cursed" the day after we got smashed by Carlton in 2012. That was a horrible night. Truth be told, and someone said elsewhere, how Malthouse marginalised him before the succession occurred, then encouraged the "rat pack" to revolt against him and this necessitated the mass exodus when we should have built a dynasty with the young players we had, and all the umm-ing and ahh-ing with failed trades and injuries since we bombed out against Port in 2013. The balance is right now, and it is different to 2008 and 2009. It feels like 2007, with a top four finish, and advantage us because we are firing on all cylinders!

- We can tell you are happy by the pitched tent ;) your avatar looks like the bloke (google says Aragorn) from Lord of the Rings. It's what I watch in between Collingwood wins, since they are so bloody long. I haven't had much chance this year!

Now hopefully we can win the VFL today, and we could do the double with reserves and seniors making the four, and perhaps swooping on both competitions!

P.S. I just found this gem on Collingwood Forever, for more embarrassment for Adelaide teams against the Grog Squad. Something to further stroke our egos, whilst Port cower in a corner at Tullamarine :)

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/collingwoods-aami-stadium-record/

Last edited:
For starters.. we played like s**t agst Hawthorn and GWS.. our game has improved so much since then. These games in round 1 and 2 are totally irrelevant to the conversation.

How on earth can you be an expert and not understand the blooming obvious.
The "experts" don't barrack for Collingwood Gimpy. It's a worldwide conspiracy orchestrated by the Illuminati. That is why all the commentators on Foxtel are past players from other clubs, and love to see the Woodsmen fail, and you can't really hear much on Seven, since BRRRUUUCCCEEEE is always shrilling about some opposition player, e.g. Cyril or Dusty. I think the bloke might love it apo piso. Fair dinkum.

Name one bloke in the major papers (read the Sun, the Age etc) that follows the wobbles? I have only ever heard of Tony Jones, and he is a media personality, not a journalist per se. Brian Taylor played for Collingwood, but he has held a grudge since Matthews dropped him after the QF draw in 1990. His biography on the matter would be more saucy than Scarlett's rant about Maxy :rolleyes:

BringouttheGimp , if we play the Dawks or the Dwarfs in the run home, does/do your crystal ball(s) suggest we will get the job done?

Interstater

I seem to have upset you with my comments about Cooper's and Kochie.

I have it on authority my mouth can be ahead of my brain sometimes. Cooper's is probably a sensational drop.

Good on you for coming past and saying g'day. I have polarised a few into discussion on different vintages. Good to generate controversy.

I don't want to blow smoke up your arse, but you should know how highly I rate Port. Have since the days of Chocco, Franco, Tredders and co.

The more of a rise you get out of me, the more respect and fear I harbor toward you :p

How about a hug mate? Accept a sh*tlord's apology? :$

Excuse me while I go road test my urine, you know, for Science :D

Last edited:

Another week of amazed observation of an undersized, inexperienced and ungeneralled back line operating as if it is composed of 100+ game stars. I don't understand, but I love it. The only trembling comes from the memory of an undersized backline in '82 monstered by Cloke, and Roach, so that a certain Bartlett was able to crumb a lot of goals. But this year, we have the monsters on the forward line, so I take heart.
The midfield doesn't seem to miss Treloar, but what an addition he would be. Who deserves to miss for him? Nobody.
The forwards are a revelation. A marking mobile full forward, a marking mobile centre half forward and a monster forward pocket/ruck, with a pacy forward pocket rover and two fast, strong marking flankers. Who'd have thought Australian football would use this formation?
I've always believed that the defining character of a team is the players, and that quality will always win out. So what to make of the performance of our backs. They have had their quality systematically removed and yet still they win most battles in their part of the ground, and not always with support from upfield. Amzing.
To finish, it was strange to see the game turning umpiring failure, that has so often gone against us in the last 5 years, go our way, and have Port's spirit broken by the 50 against Motlop that came from the blue. Perhaps out luck has turned.

Interstater

I seem to have upset you with my comments about Cooper's and Kochie.

I have it on authority my mouth can be ahead of my brain sometimes. Cooper's is probably a sensational drop.

Good on you for coming past and saying g'day. I have polarised a few into discussion on different vintages. Good to generate controversy.

I don't want to blow smoke up your arse, but you should know how highly I rate Port. Have since the days of Chocco, Franco, Tredders and co.

The more of a rise you get out of me, the more respect and fear I harbor toward you :p

How about a hug mate? Accept a sh*tlord's apology? :$

Excuse me while I go road test my urine, you know, for Science :D

Not so much upset as really tired of the stereotypes (even though we often do our best to justify them)
Mate if Port don't win the premiership Collingwood are always my second choice.
As kids the maggies in the VFL were our second club for obvious reasons.

The next time Port and Collingwood play in a final I'll shout you a Coopers. :cool:

Good luck with the rest of the year (except against us). :thumbsu:

cheers

Last edited:
I’ve given credit to both Buckley and Langdon when they’ve had their due. I was praising Buckley’s growth as a coach just last week after he made significant adjustments to quell the Lions in the second quarter. If you want to ignore my positive posts and concentrate on the ones that contain (valid) criticisms, more power to you. Not sure why you’re even trying to take a shot tbh, I haven’t posted criticism about your mate Langdon for months. He’s been having a good year.
Valid criticism & just calling it as it is, for some reason can receive plenty of odd-targeted distain. And considering our recent history, its like the truth wasn't allowed anymore.

Getting sick of the “umpire erred in giving the 50 which stopped Ports momentum and lead to 7 unanswered Collingwood goals” line being trotted out by every media outlet, last night and this morning.
The fact is the umpire erred by not awarding a 50 after the player who was awarded the free was picked up then slammed in the back forcing his face to contact the ground.
There was the 50 right there.

Greenwood had a very underrated game watching the replay. Wingard has 18 touches and no influence in the game at all.

He's in very good form as a tagger, very important player for us right at the moment.

Injuries don't count for s**t.. if you have a core group of elite all Australian A+ talent.. that's what wins premierships.

What separates us from the rest is our core group of A+ talent.

What you'll find is this.. and I can't be bothered spending time on it.. but I'd say I'm close to the mark when I say the majority of Premiership winning sides have had the most All Australian team players or All Australian squad selected players for the yr.

Really when I think about it.. the most important role recruiters and coaches need to play is getting 6 players that are gonna be the best in their positions in the league.. you can have 15 players on the sideline.. the influence of your All Australian A+ players overrides any size injury list you may have.

Grundy Treloar Adams Sidebottom De Goey Howe Pendlebury.. if they're all on the park come September.. toss a coin between Richmond and us. Why.. because it doesn't matter where the ball is on the park or who is our there.. they'll always be someone elite influencing the play.. regardless of how extensive your injury list is.. really counts for s**t.. play Blair.. wouldn't bloody matter.

If your core group of 6 top line players ranks ahead of every other sides top 6.. all that's left to do............ start thinking about what brand of polish you will be using to shine that premiership cup.. I think we're a big f chance.. let's make sure they're all out there.

The Gimp knows.

See I kinda disagree with this because I feel in 2010 it was exactly the opposite. I feel our bottom 6 players were better than the saints who had a group of super stars but the talent dropped off very quickly.

Valid criticism & just calling it as it is, for some reason can receive plenty of odd-targeted distain. And considering our recent history, its like the truth wasn't allowed anymore.
The vast majority didn't have an issue with the truth of s**t performances. What they may have had issues with was the reasons given for the said s**t performances. That's when the line between truth and opinion becomes blurred.

See I kinda disagree with this because I feel in 2010 it was exactly the opposite. I feel our bottom 6 players were better than the saints who had a group of super stars but the talent dropped off very quickly.

Reid Pendlebury Swan Jolly Thomas O'Brien Shaw Didak were elite.. I rank our super stars ahead of theirs. All Australian players.

You can have a really good spread of talent across the park.. if you lack these elite types.. counts for s**t in my book.

I'm trying to look at it from a different perspective. Trying to get my head around why is it that we're winning. I don't necessarily see logic in the whole 'play your role' s**t.

Grundy falls over.. let's see how this role playing argument stacks up.

Liverpool FC have 1 possibly 2 elite players in a squad of 20 odd. We're talking absolute world class. Wouldn't expect they'd do well if Salah falls over and someone comes in and plays his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the excitement of a return to finals is covering over some of the concerning trends that have come out of that result. I think it’s best to begin with that excitement because the thrill of a final at the G, which we will experience at least one of this year, is nothing to sneeze at after 5 years in the wilderness so I’m most definitely as pleased as any. There’s a but:

- We looked seriously vulnerable when Port were able to isolate our defensive group and play with width. There was a point where I thought they were on pace to break the I50 marks “world record”. That isn’t to throw shade on that group as a collective because the overall performance was good it was more a reflection of what we need from our mids in terms of allowing the opposition to walk it out of the centre of the ground.

- Overuse of the handball. Bugger me we’ve become well drilled and the adherence to our system is a sight to behold after the dogs breakfast that was huge chunks of 14-17. The problem is that there are times when it isn’t on. The two biggest culprits yesterday were Murphy and Madgen which to me is both a positive and negative. Positive because they come in and immediately know what their role is and execute. Negative because good teams will pray on that once the intensity goes up a gear in 3 weeks time. They stood up well and the future looks bright (although Madgen’s pace is a bit of a concern given he could barely go with a half rat power Ryder at times) we just need to be conscious of this.

- The lack of a really strong KPF target. Cox does an ok job, but is not someone I think we should rely on much come September. I’ve also been very bullish on Mihocek, but yesterday wasn’t his best effort. IMO, he didn’t compete enough aerially and whilst he got into some really dangerous spots at ground level I’d prefer that be Stephenson, JT or WHE with Mihocek creating more of the opportunities for those three. Overall they took too many uncontested marks inside our F50.

That’s most of the projecting forward stuff out of the way so another minor observation that I specifically took from the game. There were two moments that decided that match, IMO, and we had the better of both. Firstly the Motlop 50 which I would be ok with if the shoe was on the other foot, but we don’t get that gift in a final and it was our only goal of that quarter. The Maynard goal saving tackle on Rockliff was self explanatory I guess. The thing for me is if both of those go against us scores are practically level with them having kicked the last 3 goals of the game. Moments matter is the point I’m trying to make.

In terms of individuals I’ll start on the negative which will be short and sweet. Aish will be a valuable contributor for us over the next decade if he can develop a trigger that sees him run at the same speed on both sides of the ball plus get rid of those short steps. Despite the injury it’s been a good year for him, but there’s scope there to go to the next level.

The positives were Greenwood in his role on Wingard who wasn’t poor by any stretch, but he negated him more than enough to justify a tag which is all you can ask of him. Mayne keeps on stepping up in that wing role. I have concerns against quicker opposition like Hawthorn or Richmond, but if he brings that every week this might not be the only contract he earns from the club. I think the quality of the performances from Adams and Grundy’s has been discussed enough, but what’s the harm of another wrap! Aside from those 5 I was pleased with the roles played by all others.

As a betting man I’m taking JDG to miss next week. Once the result was beyond doubt we were odds on to rest him, but I think we pulled the trigger earlier than we’d planned. Obviously it could well be a case that we checked him out, he was ok and with circa 5 mins of playing time left what’s the point, but he wasn’t 100% when he came off. FYI knowing that it was odds on he’d be rested I chose to keep an eye on him which is why I’m certain he wasn’t 100% and can confirm he didn’t go down the race to be assessed which is also why I’m not particularly concerned, for now.

Last edited:
I think the excitement of a return to finals is covering over some of the concerning trends that have come out of that result. I think it’s best to begin with that excitement because the thrill of a final at the G, which we will experience at least one of this year, is nothing to sneeze at after 5 years in the wilderness so I’m most definitely as pleased as any. There’s a but:

- We looked seriously vulnerable when Port were able to isolate our defensive group and play with width. There was a point where I thought they were on pace to for the I50 marks “world record”. That isn’t to throw shade on that group as a collective because the overall performance was good it was more a reflection of what we need from our mids in terms of allowing the opposition to walk it out of the centre of the ground.

- Overuse of the handball. Bugger me we’ve become well drilled and the adherence to our system is a sight to behold after the dogs breakfast that was huge chunks of 14-17. The problem is that there are times when it isn’t on. The two biggest culprits yesterday were Murphy and Madgen which to me is both a positive and negative. Positive because they come in and immediately know what their role is and execute. Negative because good teams will pray on that once the intensity goes up a gear in 3 weeks time. They stood up well and the future looks bright (although Madgen’s pace is a bit of a concern given he could barely go with a half rat power Ryder at times) we just need to be conscious of this.

- The lack of a really strong KPF target. Cox does an ok job, but is not someone I think we should rely on much come September. I’ve also been very bullish on Mihocek, but yesterday wasn’t his best effort. IMO, he didn’t compete enough aerially and whilst he got into some really dangerous spots at ground level I’d prefer that be Stephenson, JT or WHE with Mihocek creating more of the opportunities for those three. Overall they took too many uncontested marks inside our F50.

That’s most of the projecting forward stuff out of the way so another minor observation that I specifically took from the game. There were two moments that decided that match, IMO, and we had the better of both. Firstly the Motlop 50 which I would be ok with if the shoe was on the other foot, but we don’t get that gift in a final and it was our only goal of that quarter. The Maynard goal saving tackle on Rockliff was self explanatory I guess. The thing for me is if both of those go against us scores are practically level with them having kicked the last 3 goals of the game. Moments matter is the point I’m trying to make.

In terms of individuals I’ll start on the negative which will be short and sweet. Aish will be a valuable contributor for us over the next decade if he can develop a trigger that sees him run at the same speed on both sides of the ball plus get rid of those short steps. Despite the injury it’s been a good year for him, but there’s scope there to go to the next level.

The positives were Greenwood in his role on Wingard who wasn’t poor by any stretch, but he negated him more than enough to justify a tag which is all you can ask of him. Mayne keeps on stepping up in that wing role. I have concerns against quicker opposition like Hawthorn or Richmond, but if he brings that every week this might not be the only contract he earns from the club. I think the quality of the performances from Adams and Grundy’s has been discussed enough, but what’s the harm of another wrap! Aside from those 5 I was pleased with the roles played by all others.

As a betting man I’m taking JDG to miss next week. Once the result was beyond doubt we were odds on to rest him, but I think we pulled the trigger earlier than we’d planned. Obviously it could well be a case that we checked him out, he was ok and with circa 5 mins of playing time left what’s the point, but he wasn’t 100% when he came off. FYI knowing that it was odds on he’d be rested I chose to keep an eye on him which is why I’m certain he wasn’t 100% and can confirm he didn’t go down the race to be assessed which is also why I’m not particularly concerned, for now.
Sco I hear what you're saying and don't have a real problem but football is an art and not a science. More a matter of minimizing the opposition's advantages whilst maximizing our own.

Both the Motlop 50 and the Maynard goal are good examples of 'moments' - but I tend to look at those moments in the context of the overall game.

The Motlop brain fade was pretty early in the last 1/4 IIRC after Port had thrown the kitchen sink AND the refrigerator at us in the 3rd quarter. He would have been understandably frustrated - especially as he had practically dragged them forward on his own and they had failed to capitalize.

Maynard on the other hand would have been exalted by the opposite circumstances.

Add to that Freo were basically playing for their season and at that stage were on the knife edge.

Many a sporting campaign has been decided by a lot less.

This is a young but maturing group and I'll back them come hell or high water.

Buckley's Press Conference:

You're playing finals. How exciting is that with you officially locked in?

You must be thrilled with the way you responded after being challenged in the third quarter?

I think you had most inside 50s in the last quarter of any team all year. Is that the most dominant quarter you've played all year?

It seemed like a significant moment was the 50m penalty (in favour of Oxley) in the third quarter. Did it help you turn it around and what did you make of it?

De Goey going through the middle seemed to be critical for you?

Was it just precautionary in the end with De Goey's leg?

Nathan Murphy's inclusion meant you've played 39 players from your list this year with good results along the way. Will that also help you set up for the future?

How do view a top 4 finish considering there is a week off before the final begins?

Howe, Treloar, Moore: What are the timelines?

Can you give us any insight on Sam Murray's absence due to personal reasons?

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-08-18/raw-bucks-reviews-port-win

Thanks for posting this! Much appreciated!

Not so much upset as really tired of the stereotypes (even though we often do our best to justify them)
Mate if Port don't win the premiership Collingwood are always my second choice.
As kids the maggies in the VFL were our second club for obvious reasons.

The next time Port and Collingwood play in a final I'll shout you a Coopers. :cool:

Good luck with the rest of the year (except against us). :thumbsu:

cheers
You do raise a fair point because pre port in the afl I supported them in the sanfl. They are still a bit of a soft spot for me.
And they did stop Brisbane not win 4 in a row (even though I love Leigh Matthews that would be much too much).
And they far better than Adelaide.

Ofcourse when port plays us well may they be thrashed and debased.

Getting sick of the “umpire erred in giving the 50 which stopped Ports momentum and lead to 7 unanswered Collingwood goals” line being trotted out by every media outlet, last night and this morning.
The fact is the umpire erred by not awarding a 50 after the player who was awarded the free was picked up then slammed in the back forcing his face to contact the ground.
There was the 50 right there.

The hacks on Gameday were banging on about it this morning. You wonder what tabloid journalism inspired bullshit the producers feed them to discuss. No mention of sewing up our first finals since 2013. No mention of being in the box seat for top 4. They're the real stories. Like one 50m penalty has such a huge impact on the game when the margin is 51 points. Ludicrous.

The hacks on Gameday were banging on about it this morning. You wonder what tabloid journalism inspired bullshit the producers feed them to discuss. No mention of sewing up our first finals since 2013. No mention of being in the box seat for top 4. They're the real stories. Like one 50m penalty has such a huge impact on the game when the margin is 51 points. Ludicrous.
Haters gotta hate quick . . . never mind a flag is the ultimate GTFO :D

Haters gotta hate quick . . . never mind a flag is the ultimate GTFO :D

I just get frustrated by the commentators in this games complete inability to analyse the game and make insightful and mature discussion. There is better commentary on this website than what they dish us.

I just get frustrated by the commentators in this games complete inability to analyse the game and make insightful and mature discussion. There is better commentary on this website than what they dish us.
No argument quick, we have the most unprofessional gang of gibberish speaking has been's on the planet.

Americans give the the sh!ts but they know how to do commentary properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back