Review Round 22, 2018 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Despite not converting his chances I thought Eric competed pretty well matched-up against May

If Eric kicked four we'd be talking about it being one of his best all round games in his career. Given May has troubled him in the past it was super impressive despite the inaccuracy.

adey115

Premiership Player
Nov 16, 2001
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy side of the family.
So much in the media about Zorko being distasteful - "a disaster" as one nutjob put it. Lots of bagging in here too. I am not going to say I enjoyed the look, but I am going to say that kidney punches over a 2 hour window is going to pierce anyone off, and in the video after the siren sounds young Miller seems to be walking at Zorko in a manner that doesn't look like he wants to shake his hand, while Zorko is walking backwards and not physically "getting in his face" as some seem very keen to interpret. Everyone seems very very keen to see one side of the story.... screw that.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some posters suggesting that fatigue caught up with us with us last night. Do they believe the Suns have had the last 4 weeks off?

They had 26 fit players to choose from on the weekend but showed they had the hunger to try and fight out a win before running out of legs half way through the last quarter.

The last couple of weeks have made me far less confident that we can push for finals in 2020 and will have to wait until Beams, Robinson, Walker, Rich, Taylor and a few others have moved on and when McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Bailey and a few others are genuine A graders.

I'm now firmly in the delist Mitch Robbo camp. At his age he has to do a lot more than take a couple of contested marks. We've had a Mitch-shaped hole in our midfield all season and he hasn't stepped up on a regular enough basis. If we get a Wallis then he should be moved on. We should also consider Hately or another genuine inside midfielder.

Taylor is an extremely limited footballer and with his experience he can't continue to play one or 2 decent quarters a game. We need another skillful wing to replace McCluggage when he plays more inside and Taylor isn't the answer. I'd also like a genuine pressuring, small forward in addition to Charlie Cameron.

Nick Robertson also has to come under pressure. Would be great to recruit a quick defender and then we can see the back of him.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon we could give Lyons a game this weekend. Stick him on the wing. Probably replace Starcevich.

Bring Mayes in for Witherden. Like for like.

Could give Keays a game for Matho as well.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zorko/Miller.
What we do know: they don’t like each other. Wasn’t the best look.

What we don’t know: what truly gets said between parties during game.

Not saying there was definitely something untoward said by TM but regardless it will be left on the field and Zorko will have to look like the villian here and cop it. Probably deservedly so.

Some posters suggesting that fatigue caught up with us with us last night. Do they believe the Suns have had the last 4 weeks off?

They had 26 fit players to choose from on the weekend but showed they had the hunger to try and fight out a win before running out of legs half way through the last quarter.

The last couple of weeks have made me far less confident that we can push for finals in 2020 and will have to wait until Beams, Robinson, Walker, Rich, Taylor and a few others have moved on and when McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Bailey and a few others are genuine A graders.

I'm now firmly in the delist Mitch Robbo camp. At his age he has to do a lot more than take a couple of contested marks. We've had a Mitch-shaped hole in our midfield all season and he hasn't stepped up on a regular enough basis. If we get a Wallis then he should be moved on. We should also consider Hately or another genuine inside midfielder.

Taylor is an extremely limited footballer and with his experience he can't continue to play one or 2 decent quarters a game. We need another skillful wing to replace McCluggage when he plays more inside and Taylor isn't the answer. I'd also like a genuine pressuring, small forward in addition to Charlie Cameron.

Nick Robertson also has to come under pressure. Would be great to recruit a quick defender and then we can see the back of him.

With Bailey showing a lot both defensively and offensively against the Suns when thrown on the back flank, you'd think he will push for the back 6 if a midfield spot isn't available. You'd think that'll put pressure on Robbo to perform no doubt, although he is an honest foot soldier who will give his all and will always be close to best 22/first depth player in with his work ethic. Absolutely nothing wrong with that type of player. He does need to wear shoes that don't make him slip over though!

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With Bailey showing a lot both defensively and offensively against the Suns when thrown on the back flank, you'd think he will push for the back 6 if a midfield spot isn't available. You'd think that'll put pressure on Robbo to perform no doubt, although he is an honest foot soldier who will give his all and will always be close to best 22/first depth player in with his work ethic. Absolutely nothing wrong with that type of player. He does need to wear shoes that don't make him slip over though!

Back 6 will be interesting with Bundy and Bailey both playing well down there.

I'd keep Robbo on our list ahead of Rich, Frost and Bastinac but they're contracted. Also probably ahead of Keays. In a perfect world we'd have a bit of turnover and bring in some recruits to fill a few holes.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Finally got to watch the replay yesterday. Even knowing the result it was still stressful to watch. But realistically end of a long season, rotation down, young team, fired up opposition - I'm really happy to see us grit out a tight win. Think learning to win ugly is a really important lesson for the team.

I find it strange that for much of the year we have started slow but worked into games but the last few weeks we seem to be starting fast then fading. Have the coaches changed how we approached things? If we had been accurate early it could have been a very different game as we were smashing them.

Hipwood did have another almost game. His kicking was pretty poor but 4 missed shots, another missed pass and another out I think. Could easily have been 5 or 6 goals. Thought he actually did well in dealing with May who can be a great defender.

Im a little critical of Zorko but at the same time, it did really seem like Miller was a typical tagging pest. Resorted to a lot of cheap shots and crap. Fair enough to Zorko to be annoyed. I was reasonably happy that I thought I saw the team trying block and help him out. Would be curious to see what happened when he got taken out off the screen at one point?

Agree that the game showed we really need another inside mid. We got slaughtered in the clearances for a while. A free agent like Wallis would be a big help. Same for the draft pure mids seem the biggest priority at the moment.

Was really happy to see Christensen have a good game. Have been critical of him across the season but he has found some great form the last few weeks.

Think that is a perfect example of why we need to keep Lester on the list. Late in and he then has to go plug in some roles off limited preparation. Thought he did some really handy bits and pieces to save the game. Filled in well for Dizzy I thought. Lester is the perfect utility for when injuries pop up.

For next week I think Mayes is a straight in for Witherden. Not sure if there is anyone else that could do with a taster of the top level or a farewell game. Several of the kids look at little tired so an early end to the season wouldnt be a bad thing

Berrygood

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really looking forward to seeing what Ballenden can bring next year.
Yeah me too. I haven't seen much of him at all. How mobile is the big man, can he pinch hit in the ruck, are his abilities down back any good or was that just a draft year aboration. I have been impressed with the big O this year, showed signs of season fatigue recently but some of his tap work in the ruck has been terrific. Mcstay has shown improvement as a kpf this year but has dropped off the last few games. His first full season in that position, played nearly every game so he maybe suffering a bit of season fatigue as well. Could ballenden be a shot to play against the eagles.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zorko/Miller.
What we do know: they don’t like each other. Wasn’t the best look.

What we don’t know: what truly gets said between parties during game.

Not saying there was definitely something untoward said by TM but regardless it will be left on the field and Zorko will have to look like the villian here and cop it. Probably deservedly so.

TBH, I've looked at it a few times and still don't see too much in it.

After seeing comments here and in media, was a bit horrified Zorks had brought us and himself into disrepute, so was eager to have a look. No, just can't see it. OTT reaction imo.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure about Mayes coming into the side this week. Had plenty of chances over the years and done very little to suggest he will make it.. Hasn't even dominated the NEAFL. I would rather we put another game into Cox or Allison who at least have the ability to offer run from the back line.

The Eagles losing yesterday means this game is a must win for them now to finish top four and get a home final. I actually prefer that. One last test for the boys against a team who isn't brilliant but have good structures and are tough in the contest. I can see a lot of our younger guys who are staring to get tired getting knocked off the ball easily this week by the likes of Hurn - McGovern - Yeo.

Our best chance of beating them is getting them on the outside and exposing there lack of pace and we cannot bomb the ball into the 50 and allow McGovern to take mark after mark. Our forwards need to be on the lead and the mids lower there eyes.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
TBH, I've looked at it a few times and still don't see too much in it.

After seeing comments here and in media, was a bit horrified Zorks had brought us and himself into disrepute, so was eager to have a look. No, just can't see it. OTT reaction imo.

Yeah, I'm with you.

I've watched it a few times now and I'm puzzled as to what all the fuss is about. Unless you were within earshot, who knows what words were exchanged?

I see Zorko extending his hand and if anything it's Miller who seems reluctant to accept the gesture.

Meh..overraction alright.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm now firmly in the delist Mitch Robbo camp. <snip>

3fvf.gif

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
What a ridiculous comment on SEN. Rayner will be a total AFL stud in about 2-3 seasons. He honestly looks the goods and I can see him potentially being in the top handful of players in the comp eventually.
The Dusty Martin comparison is pretty accurate. Rayner would be ahead of Martin at the same stage. I remember Dusty having to spend large portions of each Q on the bench for the first few years, he had no tank at all. But Richmond did the right thing and played him.

Zac Bailey reminded me a little of Andrew McGrath when playing in defence and played with a similar style of hussle!

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zac Bailey reminded me a little of Andrew McGrath when playing in defence and played with a similar style of hussle!

We saw first hand on the weekend with Harbrow how useful it is to have a quick defender in the backline who attacks the footy hard once it's at ground level. Bailey could play this role for a season or 2 until he's ready to break into the midfield.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This.

We just needed to slow things down and get more control, especially in the slippery dewy conditions. The Suns appeared to want to play Russian Roulette and we fell into the trap of accommodating them .

Now apart from that, I can't accept the contention that we weren't putting in 100% effort in this game.

Maybe it presented differently on a TV screen but speaking as one who was att he game and close to ground level, I thought the commitment from both sides was exceptional. If anything, I thought we tried too hard when the Suns came at us and we lost a bit of composure.

We were in serious trouble at three quarter time mainly because of woeful set shot kicking for goal but we dug in and willed ourselves over the line, even when they snapped a late goal and got to within a few points again. All night they seemed to kick goals from acute angles and rushed snaps, while we butcherd everything from less pressured situations

I'm stunned at he weird logic being trotted out by some that since we didn't belt them, it would have been better if we had lost so we got a higher draft pick.

WTF?

What kind of :poo: sandwich culture are we trying to cultivate in this club?

In a season where we have had so many heartbreaking losses, we finally crack it for a close win and there are some of us who are disappointed that we didn't lose.

Pathetic.

I'm also bemused at the continued scapegoating of Ryan Lester and the vitriol being directed at Dayne Zorko.

Lastly, as soon as I walked into Metricon last night, I knew we were going to have one hell of a fight on our hands. Their usually tame supporters seemed to be up and about and as soon as thier team took the field , it was ovious their players were amped for the occasion. They fielded a decent side and they humbled Sydney only a couple of weeks ago. The competetion has thorwn up some massive upsets this season and if they had rolled us it wouldn't have been even close to the biggest boilover. So let's give a little credit to our oppostion instead of throwing the toys out of the cot because they didn't meekly roll over like they were supposed to.
Exceptional post - well said Luthor!

Back