Preview Round 22, 2018: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 18th August, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Hawks

Votes: 73 84.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off to the Bomber with his best mate Billings?

I’d love Freezer to just walk away from us now. Deserves way better treatment than this. Let him go to Sydney as part of the deal for Hanners.

If there is a medical reason then the club should have put out a statement this afternoon to soften the blow. We are run by the dumbest people in footy right now.
Bombers need inside players, not outside wingers/forwards.
Couldnt see them being interested at all.

That first comment makes no sense to me.

One of McEvoy and Pittonet will be in the ruck at presumably all times and Pierce will be rucking against whichever of those two is in there, for probably 80% of the game.

He won't be playing on them when they're playing forward, which will presumably be for 60-80% of the game. Carlisle or Hugh will likely line up on them when they're playing forward for that time and the other one will presumably be on Schoey.

That leaves Austin for whichever of Gunston or Burton are playing forward, which I would have thought are pretty ideal match-ups for him, given he looks to me to be more of a "3rd tall" type.

That means we don't have to have the likes of Webster and D-Mac playing on them and giving away significant height.
The reason I mentioned the rucks and specifically that Pierce should go into defence/follow their ruck is because the last 2 times we have played them McEvoy has gotten off the leash because of Billy's accountability (just something in my head when thinking about this game... might not have made sense to read for others I admit). He was their best player by a long way when we beat them last year and almost their best this year so I would hope at the very least Pierce can go with him more than Billy could and make him accountable (Billy's endurance has never been his strength), especially when he gets forward. Our ruck keeping him in check combined with Jake or another 3rd tall should be enough to nullify him more than has happened against them recently.

Now there's no Cyril, it frees Geary up to take anyone from Gunston-Burton, with DMac or Webster the other and Rice, you'd imagine, Poppy.

I guess like you said they think Austin can play on a Gunston type, but geez he's a tough match-up for Austin. Gunston has an amazing tank and mobility, it'd be a big risk for me to go that way. Would love Geary to be given the role to blanket him instead. He has the tank and mobility, just get him to play a shut-down role completely. Also limits him getting the ball which means he won't be giving it back to them so it's a win-win for us.

George...….the club for the last 2 years has had a members forum around late June/early July at the City of Kingston town hall.

They were informative and very well run.

Not a thing this year.

The conspiracy part of me thinks it was too risky running one and copping the wrath of angry supporters.

Did you hear anything on why one wasn't held?
No idea mate can always ask

This is our strategy..
The best sides are going with a mobile forward line, our club is light years behind in selection, structure & game plan..
As we've seen for the most part of the year by playing the "Statue" Paddy Mac..
Would've liked to see Meatball get a run & Coffield..
Richo is still holding out hope we can make the finals I assume..:think:
I must be looking at the wrong team sheet then - as far as I can see we've only got one bloke over 188 cm named on our forward line. Still too tall - wow!!!

Can understand Freeza being omitted - he played OK but didn't do anything "special" - still being managed a bit I think.

Hope Paton gets a bit of time on the wing in this game to see how he goes. Only 9 possessions but still managed a goal and gained some fair meterage even with his limited possessions. If he can clock up 15 to 20 possessions I reckon he can become a real plus for us. (But jeez - haven't we got sick of saying exactly the same thing about a fair few on our list!!!)

Can't see us winning but I expect a good effort - I re-watched the first half of Fridays game - we really kill any confidence we may gain by shocking disposal and goal kicking!!!

Looking to see if Lewie can back up his pretty good game from last week and give the List management team something to think about. I

Ok, sorry it’s not. You’re right. We should have more talls. Can’t believe Richo picked Gresham over Spider Burton.
You're seriously defending your comment that we have 5 "genuine talls" to their 2, when they have all of the following in their team:

McEvoy 200cm
Pittonet 202
Brand 198cm
Schoenmakers 195cm
Frawley 193cm

It was complete and utter crap and I'm sure you know it, like the rest of us do.

If anyone has the taller team in this game, it's clearly Hawthorn.

Last edited:
At least I get to hear BT call NOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS as per usual
That's only if Newnes is actually involved in a play, performs a tackle or gets a possession.

... so no, not so much...

I must be looking at the wrong team sheet then - as far as I can see we've only got one bloke over 188 cm named on our forward line. Still too tall - wow!!!
Obviously a few of us are looking at the teams listed on the AFL website and the rest have some alternative one that they've found somewhere! :D

You're seriously defending your comment that we have 5 "genuine talls" to their 2, when they have all of the following in their team:

McEvoy 200cm
Pittonet 202
Brand 198cm
Schoenmakers 195cm
Frawley 193cm

It was complete and utter crap and I'm sure you know it, like the rest of us do.

If anyone has the taller team in this game, it's clearly Hawthorn.
I’m sorry ARR - you’re right. As the rest of us know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing devils advocate here;
Could the Freeman decision be based off medical advice to not put too much load on his leg post injury?
Don’t hang me, I think he was very harsh to be dropped if it wasn’t pre determined.[/QUOTE
maybe got a contract extension as well?

Playing devils advocate here;
Could the Freeman decision be based off medical advice to not put too much load on his leg post injury?
Don’t hang me, I think he was very harsh to be dropped if it wasn’t pre determined.
They said they weren't going to play him until his body was ready. If they played him knowing they had to ease the load in two weeks time then his body wasn't ready and it was lie.

Can understand Freeza being omitted - he played OK but didn't do anything "special" - still being managed a bit I think.

Hope Paton gets a bit of time on the wing in this game to see how he goes. Only 9 possessions but still managed a goal and gained some fair meterage even with his limited possessions. If he can clock up 15 to 20 possessions I reckon he can become a real plus for us. (But jeez - haven't we got sick of saying exactly the same thing about a fair few on our list!!!)

Can't see us winning but I expect a good effort - I re-watched the first half of Fridays game - we really kill any confidence we may gain by shocking disposal and goal kicking!!!

Looking to see if Lewie can back up his pretty good game from last week and give the List management team something to think about. I
I was referring to the Hawks forward line, as we've named 3 x 196cm+ KD's..
Maybe Richo might surprise the football world & have Goddard playing as a small forward in the first qtr..

The thing with Freeman is that there may be legitimate reasons why he's not selected this week. It may be fitness or it may be they want him to work on something.

But...

We have had such a s**t season and the future is currently looking like complete crap. We supporters need something to keep us engaged and we have so much emotionally invested in Nathan, that a simple "omitted" was always going to get folk (including me) completely riled.

It just shows to me that Richo and the selectors just don't get it.

And worse still, no one else at the club seems to care about selection integrity or about the fans mental well being.

Rightly or wrongly, some are saying they won't be going on Saturday night now Freeman's not playing.

Two games to go, we're down near the bottom with just four wins to our name.

Give us something other than just "omitted" FFS.

The thing with Freeman is that there may be legitimate reasons why he's not selected this week. It may be fitness or it may be they want him to work on something.

But...

We have had such a s**t season and the future is currently looking like complete crap. We supporters need something to keep us engaged and we have so much emotionally invested in Nathan, that a simple "omitted" was always going to get folk (including me) completely riled.

It just shows to me that Richo and the selectors just don't get it.

And worse still, no one else at the club seems to care about selection integrity or about the fans mental well being.

Rightly or wrongly, some are saying they won't be going on Saturday night now Freeman's not playing.

Two games to go, we're down near the bottom with just four wins to our name.

Give us something other than just "omitted" FFS.
Last week Clark was listed as omitted yet he was out with illness. When Geary hurt his calf, he was listed on the team sheet as having a foot injury. There may actually be something wrong with him or a genuine reason why he isnt playing.

Also, if anyone isnt going to go to the game because Freeman isnt playing then they most likely weren't going to go anyway. I dont think I have ever heard a more ridiculous reason not to attend a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back