Autopsy Round 22, 2018: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

After last night I can see why the club might be looking at King.

Apart from Skunk we don't have a decent contested mark inside 50.

I assume you mean Max King , I would go that way too , he’s just too good to pass on imo. He could dominate like Franklin does in the future.

Go Saints

Great effort by Newnes

First of all , how was the speed by Long and to not give away a free by a over zealous tackle was terrific. At the other end of the line was the effort by Newnes . He could have worked hard to put pressure on but instead just jogged and watched Mitchell run past him , very poor effort.

Go Saints

After the previous two matches ( where I left early ) I went into a bit of a low/ semi depressed state. However, I pulled myself out of the doldrums and decided to go along last night and just take whatever the game had to throw at me with a little more grit than I’d shown of late. My reward? A magnificent game of footy, with my side playing its full part in making it a thriller
Good on you jiggsterR45....we certainly got more than we expected to.

It's amazing how many times a team "bounces back" after a very public blast from all and sundry during the week before...….but it took 2 weeks of a very public caning of the club for us to "show something".

I couldn't help but wonder where this effort was the previous 2 weeks.

It's time we commit to Lonie. The guy is only 22 years old and clearly has it. Would give him a 3 year contract.

Steele was really excellent.When he plays well it allows Ross and Steven more freedom.

Umpires were awful in the last quarter. The 50s were there but also O'Meara's clear deliberate! Still, we needed more composure.

Lots to like though.

Why was Carlisle a late withdrawal?

Armo's body is failing and it is frustrating to watch. But then you see him talking things through with Rice/DMac/Goddard on where to go or after they have made a mistake and I realise why he is in the team. He does have that clam head and teaching manner we have really missed when things go wrong.

It is just unfortunate that our only real experienced leader moves like he is 80 years old.

Yes I saw the footage of him talking to Dmac explaining something at the end of a quarter. No one else seems to do things like that in our side . Good on him , a Saints man through and through.

Go Saints

Armo's body is failing and it is frustrating to watch. But then you see him talking things through with Rice/DMac/Goddard on where to go or after they have made a mistake and I realise why he is in the team. He does have that clam head and teaching manner we have really missed when things go wrong.

It is just unfortunate that our only real experienced leader moves like he is 80 years old.
Yep, spot on. Hard to watch him move at times. He is trying his best to help the kids at his bodies expense. Leadership is handy onfield especially the way things have gone this year

In: Meatball, Freezer, Weller and Phillips

Out: Long, Rice, Paton and Gilbo

Let Carlisle have the week off.

Why would you drop Long , Rice and Paton ? All three are part of the future of the club . Better off dropping Newnes , and Sinclair who are both so out of form . Bring in Freeman and Meatball or Phillips .
Gilbert has been a tireless worker for the Saints throughout his career , plugged wholes all over the field and never complained and always gave 100% every game even with his limited skill set . He deserves at least one more game imo.

Go Saints

What's wrong with the Ben Long clip?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The first one Armo marks on the T on the ground, the guy on the mark goes at least a metre over then , probably more , no 50 of course .
Earlier Steven was given 50 for not going back on the mark quick enough.

The second one is an obvious drag to the ground after a mark by Long , it’s 50 ever time except that one .

Very poor umpiring for those two decisions.

Go Saints

Both were 50m. The throw in the goal square from Breust I think to Gunston was pretty clear.
Luck of the draw....but Hawthorn do not look a top 4 side especially without Cyril and Roughie.
Apart from Burgoyne and if you can stop Mitchell they look a bit second rate.

In no world is that 50ms to Long.

Good effort by the Saints. The Hawks came out like it was training run and the Saints played seriously.

I thought the Saints players did well as they auditioned in front of their next head coach. I'm hoping that the Saints pick up Ratten and the Hawthorn coaching academy expands to seven teams in the league. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good effort by the Saints. The Hawks came out like it was training run and the Saints played seriously.

I thought the Saints players did well as they auditioned in front of their next head coach. I'm hoping that the Saints pick up Ratten and the Hawthorn coaching academy expands to seven teams in the league. ;)

Just as long as that Academy gets a 7th (or 8th if Richmond win this year) Premiership through Ratts then that's fine.

been thinking about it all day. still happy with the result and its a big turn around on previous weeks, but if i'm looking at the bigger picture i think we should be beating sides like the hawks

hopefully with some additions to the football dept (hopefully a change of coach and new footy boss) and some new ready to go money ball likes trades/acquisitions and a top 5 draft pick, we can be climbing back up to where we know we should be

been thinking about it all day. still happy with the result and its a big turn around on previous weeks, but if i'm looking at the bigger picture i think we should be beating sides like the hawks

hopefully with some additions to the football dept (hopefully a change of coach and new footy boss) and some new ready to go money ball likes trades/acquisitions and a top 5 draft pick, we can be climbing back up to where we know we should be

Biggest difference with the 2 teams last night was the experienced heads that the Hawks still had out on the ground compared to ours. Had the same amount under 50 but they had a hell of a lot over the 150 mark. Burgoyne just one that still heavily influenced the game.

The St.Kilda riddle continues to baffle.

The question kept going round in my head watching last night - is the big issue our players or coaching/strategies/structures.

I know it has to be a combination of both but how can we produce that effort one week and be meek and dejected the next.

Will supporting Richo with good assistants work? Do we get rid of young players that are unproven before we've had a chance to give them the opportunity? Can we afford to give them the opportunity with all at stake?

If we put up an effort like last night next week that will surely secure Richo's position. I hope it's the right call.

In: Meatball, Freezer, Weller and Phillips

Out: Long, Rice, Paton and Gilbo

Let Carlisle have the week off.
Assuming Rice out with that neck injury? Otherwise no. And Long why?

Newnes and Sincs should be outs IMO but they won't be. Saints can go to the trade table with Newnes saying "He didn't miss a game all season and kicked 4 goals once".

Logical would be Carlisle in for Gilbert, Austin playing a Roberton 3rd tall role. Not going to happen though. They'll drop Goddard sadly.

If Rice is injured hopefully White gets a game. He won't though. They'll switch Newnes back and bring Weller in just to mess with my blood pressure.

No choice now have to take him. Luko rank walsh smith will be gone. Hes the next best player.

Won’t we have pick 4 ? GC pick 2 and 3 and Carlton pick 1 or will Carlton get a priority pick as well ?

Go Saints

The question kept going round in my head watching last night - is the big issue our players or coaching/strategies/structures.

I know it has to be a combination of both but how can we produce that effort one week and be meek and dejected the next.

Will supporting Richo with good assistants work? Do we get rid of young players that are unproven before we've had a chance to give them the opportunity? Can we afford to give them the opportunity with all at stake?

If we put up an effort like last night next week that will surely secure Richo's position. I hope it's the right call.

For all the s**t that gets thrown about, Richo, imo nailed it when he talks about 2 different groups on the field. The group that tries way too hard and *s it up. On the other hand the group that is too scared that they will * it up.
Whether the only way to change that is to sack the coach, I'm honestly not sure. Will back the club either way.
Looking forward to seeing Ratten a part of the team regardless. But he is only the first cog.

Newnes looked to be in a fair bit of pain with his strapped shoulder at one point. Definitely seems to be carrying an injury/injuries.

Hopefully he'll be able to have a full preseason and get back to his best next season.

Why do we want him back at his best at another club? :p

To give an autopsy on why we lost i would say this:
-Lack of intensity by some players at times, with sloppy tackling that let hawks thru when our structures yesterday were pretty good.
-getting too many players sucked into the ball at clearance and the hawks left 1 outside (we kind of rectified this after half time i think)
- poor goal kicking - think Members is trying to listen to Dicko again ffs!!
-lewy played well, but needs to tighten up his defensive game
- Austin played well but also needs to work on his defensive game
-forward line is missing a kpf - Marshall needs to improve on this
- Gilbo had a mare

What we did well:
-Structures were good behind the ball which choked the hawks
- looked very potent when our good users like billings and webster had it
- contested ball and clearance we did well, contrary to our season - seem to be getting the mix right
- looked like we were trying to leave free there no 24 in defence which was very smart. The guys makes Gears look like an elite kick:)

Won’t we have pick 4 ? GC pick 2 and 3 and Carlton pick 1 or will Carlton get a priority pick as well ?

Go Saints
Priority picks should be as follows based on club situations they only deserve the following for the good of the Comp

Pick 1- Carlton
2- Gold Coast
3 - saints
4- Gold Coast
5- saints
6- Carlton
7 normal order resumes .

This boosts the sides . Evens out the league but priority can’t be traded

Thought the same leaving the ground Jade Buddha.

It's a dilemma which no one has the exact answer at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back