Autopsy Round 22, 2018: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

When you lose by four points you need to look at all the little things.

- Goals conceded in the last minute of both the 1st quarter and 2nd quarter
- At least two goals conceded in the 3rd quarter due to rubbish bounces

But by the 10 minute mark of the last quarter it was pretty clear we didn't have the temperament for the moment. Gresham's missed snap was the only shot on goal after the 6 minute mark. Also Lonie took a great mark on the boundary in the last quarter - I'd rather he had a shot considering how hot he was.

Kudos to Geary and Steele for their roles, particularly Geary who in the end was the one who went into the midfield to replace Freeman. Smith, who was Hawthorn's best player by a mile in Round 6, had very little influence on the contest.

Lonie has earned himself another contract. Not only does his production mean better goal production, it enables Gresham, Long and Billings to spend more time in the midfield. I think Lonie benefits from his attitude which seems like "stuff the coach, I'm going to play my way". Let Lonie be Lonie.

Those who are hard on Goddard need to remember he was given a role which he fulfilled. Schoenmakers and Pittonet were non-factors when forward. Austin is a lovely kick who needs to work on his defensive skills.

Someone said earlier that we kept Billings and Marshall on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the last quarter - they were both involved in a passage of play in the first minute of that quarter.

I find it amusing how much people talk about how slow we are yet one of the first things mentioned by Clarkson, the best coach in the game, is about trying to match our pace.

Odd hey.

We move the ball fast by hand, we are slow as far as spread and run go. We wave-run and create overlap.

Someone said earlier that we kept Billings and Marshall on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the last quarter - they were both involved in a passage of play in the first minute of that quarter.

Last 10 minutes of the last qtr... billings was off from roughly the 20min mark.

Either way, I was shitty with the fact that 2fwds who could have won us the game were off.

Point wasn't how long for it was the time of the game they were off

I find it amusing how much people talk about how slow we are yet one of the first things mentioned by Clarkson, the best coach in the game, is about trying to match our pace.

Odd hey.
Headless chooks run pretty fast...

Of course our forward line is missing a KPF... We are usually pretty hopeless when it’s only Membrey & one Tall. We need that 2nd tall.

I will say however that I thought our forward structure worked well last night & it got me thinking. What if at times here & there to change up the game & spark something that we push blokes out of the arc & let Gresh or Steven rest in the goalsquare - kick low balls in & let him do the rest....?

Even use Acres...?

Mitch McGovern is available. Need him as much as the mythical speedy outside running midfielder. Bring back Battle, Bruce, get McCartin to play to his potential and we'll be rich I tells ya'. Not the room for all of them, but wouldn't it create some competition. If I was there, I'd be trying to turn Battle, Membrey and Acres into the midfield beasts we so desperately need. They're good enough.

Mitch McGovern is available. Need him as much as the mythical speedy outside running midfielder. Bring back Battle, Bruce, get McCartin to play to his potential and we'll be rich I tells ya'. Not the room for all of them, but wouldn't it create some competition. If I was there, I'd be trying to turn Battle, Membrey and Acres into the midfield beasts we so desperately need. They're good enough.

When Membrey gets the ball he stands still for 10 s waiting for everyone to get manned up. Have never seen a less likely midfielder. Someone needs to tell him to just wheel and go sometimes.

Too slow no footy smarts.
That's harsh cooper. Blokes who have multiple 30+ possession games, in which they also kick multiple goals are neither too slow , nor lack footy smarts. He is frustrating at times because he looks as though he's cruising, but he has been appalling mismanged, either by the MBK or his lieutenants.

I would suggest that it is not Blacres who is too slow, nor has footy smarts. It is his coach. With the evidence available, on balance over five years, I reckon I could successfully prosecute my case.

When Membrey gets the ball he stands still for 10 s waiting for everyone to get manned up. Have never seen a less likely midfielder. Someone needs to tell him to just wheel and go sometimes.

Fair call, but he is a roo like endurance beast and has a strong body, great hands and is a good kick. Give him the new role and see how he goes. Remember the old line about he's no good, move him to the backline? A change of role might see him realise his full potential.

What's not to like? I'd have him in the mids with Battle (also an endurance beast) as a high half forward mid type. Throw in more of Billings at his best, Steele emerging, the absolute gun, the Gresh, the extractors in Ross and Steven and we're back in the game. Bring in Hanners to tie it all up and get Freeman confident enough to use his explosive pace. I have a sneaking suspicion we will also add one or two of Liberatore, Lloyd, Menadue, or Bolton. Suddenly we'd look very dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Lloyd? A tough one - on one hand perhaps cheaper than Menzel, but older too. Has his best year when Richmond had it's worst.
Yeah I like Lloyd if we don’t get Menzel. Menzel should come for free picks wise and wouldn’t be much of a dent in the salary cap so he is my preference. If we went for Lloyd I would want him as a forward. He’s improved his game to be able to go through the midfield but we don’t need another ok mid. His 35 goal season is what attracts me.

Could see Battle being a Gunstan-like utility... He’d be a beauty at it

Who was Austin playing on? Seemed to me he would have been the best match up for Gunston which would have released Webster. On the few occasions Webster was rebounding with the ball, his kicking was elite. But for most of the night he was locking down (and getting beaten) on Gunston.
I thought he started on Gunston but was moved off him presumably as was too loose and Webster took over to fail in a different way.

Exactly.
The commentators last year said it on a few occasions. You don’t have to be able to run fast if you can move the ball quickly and skilfully by hand and foot ( which of course has been our downfall most of the time :()
Perhaps if we could spread faster we wouldn’t stretch our skill levels as much and wouldn’t turn it over as often

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/tom-morris-reports-from-inside-the-st-kilda-rooms

If you get a chance to listen, this is a great clip about what was going on in the rooms during half time.
Sounds like they were concerned about the opposition getting the ball back inside the centre corridor- hello..been happening all year and killed us in most games- especially against the Dons. I would have expected a coach to have this ongoing problem sorted at this stage in the season?

Sounds like they were concerned about the opposition getting the ball back inside the centre corridor- hello..been happening all year and killed us in most games- especially against the Dons. I would have expected a coach to have this ongoing problem sorted at this stage in the season?

To be fair, it wasn't Richo or one of the coaches who said this ... it was Hugh Goddard in for his first game. Sounded like one of those obvious things players say that increases the energy in the group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back