Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I wrong in thinking we were the ones who outplayed Geelong? The stats suggest we were slightly ahead in an arm wrestle but Chris Scott, in his arrogant belief, thinks they dominated?

To me it seemed that quick burst of goals just before HT gave Geelong the only sort of lead for the game and our burst of goals at the end of the game gave us the lead, just happened to be when it mattered. It also felt like we struggled to convert but had more opportunities. On another day, I think we blow them away in the third, like we have to many teams this season.

Would love to play them in the finals, easy win. They are the biggest pretenders of the top 4 and everyone knows it.

Awesome game. Loved it. Huge experience. The crowd was nuts.

My notes:
- Chris Scott is a sore loser. You can't highlight a dodgy deliberate out of bounds call because "even Gardiner wasn't expecting the free", but neglect to mention 10 minutes earlier, when Jarrod Berry was poleaxed, and every player on the ground stopped for the obvious free, until Kelly (I think) realised no whistle was blown.
- They kicked 4 posters. I think that might've been more relevant than blaming the umps.
- I actually agree with Scott though that Charlie wasn't that influential. He scored the goals, but that was more 'final link in the chain' than 'influential play maker'. Last week, Charlie's 6 were made up of 50/50 chances that he managed to finesse into 6-pointers - he was absolutely best on ground. This week he missed all of those (2 behinds, and I think 2 missed everything) and got on the end of 3 or 4 easy ones. He still got involved, and you don't get the goals without being in the right position, but I didn't find him as influential.
- I was questioning Adams. Last week, he had a poor-ish first half before getting into it in the 3rd (which was, by then, junk time). This week - BANG. Huge. Loved it.
- Harris. Gun. Nuff said.
- Umpiring was atrocious. Really quite poor. I thought Geelong were the dirtier team on the day, so for them to get 6 more frees didn't seem right. Lot of poor calls.

In the end, good contest. I thought they dominated play slightly more - maybe 55/45. But we hung in well when they had the momentum, and when we had the legs, we took our opportunities when it mattered. Huge win. Amazing.

If Chris doesn't think Charlie was influential in a game where they gave up a 3 goal lead late in the 4th to lose by a point then good luck to him. But if 5.2 from a small forward is "not much of an influence" then I do wonder what he makes of Hawkins' 0.2 output then.

We were actually down to a 1 player bench at a point in that game too. With Bundy's pinged hamstring, Gardiner off with the shoulder issue and Mitch Robbo was off for a bit with a hip niggle. Oh and we didn't skulk off to the shade at the quarter time break. I did have a laugh when I heard the crowd on that side of the ground lace into the Cats for that.

absolutely RIPPED IN.

Haven't seen that much abuse at a sports match since DCE came to Suncorp after backflipping on the Titans.

Am I wrong in thinking we were the ones who outplayed Geelong? The stats suggest we were slightly ahead in an arm wrestle but Chris Scott, in his arrogant belief, thinks they dominated?

To me it seemed that quick burst of goals just before HT gave Geelong the only sort of lead for the game and our burst of goals at the end of the game gave us the lead, just happened to be when it mattered. It also felt like we struggled to convert but had more opportunities. On another day, I think we blow them away in the third, like we have to many teams this season.

Would love to play them in the finals, easy win. They are the biggest pretenders of the top 4 and everyone knows it.

Nope. I agree with you totally.

I was watching the score yesterday at work & was over the moon to see a one point result. Sat down to watch the replay expecting to watch a game where we probably didn't deserve to win but snatched it at the end anyway.

Thought we were the better of the two teams clearly. Very much a rub of the green their way by the umps early, and we kept them in the game with our efforts coming out of defense. Not as bad as the Collingwood deer in headlights effort earlier in the season, but I still felt that the occasion got to us a bit. Zero fears facing them again in finals.

Chris Scott has to come out & say stuff like that to keep the hopes of players & fans up. Oh, and yeah he's a salty loser.

Adams performance was an eye opener for a few on here. Has the pace and judgement to zone off their biggest gun and the agility and strength to get back and thwart him in the air.

That's gold .

As far as Charlie goes I have to disagree ,he was hugely influential . The reason he got on the end of a few was because he has the blistering pace to get there that I don't believe any other player in the comp has . He did it every time. Plus a couple of his tackles and some one on one contests where he linked up resulted in goals so as far as I can tell he played a part in most of our goals. Anyone else on our list who would've got those ? Could've kicked 7 or 8 if he kicked straight

Some of his comments can be annoying and frustrating, but I just cannot dislike the man. Was my absolute childhood hero. Ran with the mullet and the number 1 on my back for years. Will always love Roosy. Just like when JBerry makes a mistake, for some reason I find myself making excuses for him, as my man love always outweighs the frustration haha.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’m like that with Andrews and I sure I will make excuses if he ever makes a mistake(which is unlikely).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats on the win again it was nice seeing the mutual respect show by the supporter base all week on both boards

It’s a pity to see us being call cheats and other s**t too

Hopefully you have a good final but I leave very bitter after the lack of respect shown
Pretty ordinary comment mate. Same with a few on your board.

I saw a total of 2 instances of the word come up in the matchday thread. 0 traction on either of those comments from everyone else in the thread. You also complained about people whinging about the umpiring. I checked your guys thread and it's the same sort of stuff.

Crap comments from one or two individual posters don't paint the whole group, especially in matchday threads which are filled with over the top comments. I see people in your threads talking about how Brisbane fans don't have any idea, nice to see a bunch of fans seeing their first game etc. Should those sort of comments represent your whole supporter base? I'd certainly hope they wouldn't if the roles were reversed.

For you to go masquerading around on both of our boards acting as if the whole lions community on here is doing it is pretty poor form of you. Just as ordinary as those two comments the lions members made in my opinion.

The non-ex-player commentators at the moment are killing it. Speed and Papalia are both very listenable.

I remember Roos calling out the two Berry incidents (high contact, stupid "ran too far" call) and two "should have been 50s" (kicking the ball away, giving the ball back to the wrong player) precisely because it felt relatively unusual to hear him do so.

Non-ex-players are professionals who know the journalistic genre and are able to apply it properly.

Ex players either comment from their own personal experience (colour) or are making it up as they go along. The should only ever be ‘colour’ in the commentary.

Congrats on the win again it was nice seeing the mutual respect show by the supporter base all week on both boards

It’s a pity to see us being call cheats and other s**t too

Hopefully you have a good final but I leave very bitter after the lack of respect shown

Two people on this thread call Geelong cheats and you get salty. Meanwhile, on your review thread, your mob mention that we wouldn't have won without one free kick at the end (even through your team got a lot more free kicks), state that we wouldn't have won without the heat factor (bespite both teams cramping up towards the end of the game), talk s**t about how we couldn't beat you at the MCG and then top it off by calling majority of the users on this board recent campaigners, amoungst numerous other accusations most likely as I only read up to page 5 of that thread.

Don't talk about disrespect when two users call your a a bunch of cheats when I can count at least a few dozen users from your board stepping way above from what you've seen here.

Had to share this.

I work in a bottle shop on Ann street in Brisbane City downstairs from the Sofitel. Just about all away teams across codes stay at the Sofitel when they come to Brisbane.

Anyway I have made a habit of displaying my lions jumper or scarf when I work the night before or day of a game - it’s a good conversation starter with customers.

On Friday night I was watching the (insipid) Swans v Demons game in the shop with my lions jumper hanging at the entrance when in walks Chris Scott.

I have mad respect for the bloke - being a Lions champion. When he walked into the store he paused a moment upon seeing the hanging lions jumper, I looked up and said ‘g’day Chris’ and offered to shake his hand. He did so, but in the spirit of competition - I had to have a little dig.

‘What are you after tonight mate?’
‘Just a bottle of wine to take to dinner’
‘Geelong Pinot Noirs, over in that corner’, I pointed to the far corner. (Farrside Winery wines are very renowned)

I gave him a smirk with as much malice as I could muster. And then he bloody bought one - remaining completely stone-faced. It was a fun exchange I really enjoy exchanging with lions opposition when I get the chance. Got to let them know which territory they are in.

As a matter of comparison - when Simon Goodwin came in earlier in the year, the night before a game - He settled for a CARTON of Tooheys New - I had nothing to say to that besides ‘good luck tomorrow’

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

WOW!

Took some time to gather my thoughts from yesterday as I made my way through the game threads and post game thread. That was stunning. I don't feel like I've ever had this sort of emotional investment in the club.

I have to say, I thought we couldn't win. It seemed like Geelong kept getting out to a three goal margin, and Geelong are so well structured defensively, I thought that sort of margin was too much to overcome. But Charlie Cameron! How can you not love him. He is extraordinary. He is such an enigmatic player, a complete one off.

I thought Lyons stepped up the most when we had to make a final push to win. Our best midfielder yesterday. Marcus Adams intercept marking was extraordinary. He's gotten better and better every week.

Linc McCarthy was having a real stinker, but when he flew and took that grab, the jaw dropped and the body had an involuntary break dance. He converted and the hairs on the arm stood up. What an unbelievable way to win.

Christensen missing the second half, Robbo and Darc carrying knocks, in hot conditions, with only a few minutes left and a three goal margin to overturn, and the lads dug deep and got it done against top of the table. Unbelievable. The scenes at the end were nearly enough to bring a tear to the eye. Hugs all round.

I do get the nagging feeling that we just played our final a little bit too early, and that we may have run our race early. Winning the flag, or even making the final now, on the back of such a winning streak could be difficult, I don't know....but whatever happens from here, I won't be complaining. This season has been a wild ride. One that's been truly wonderful to be a part of. There's good things ahead for this group.

Great post Cahaba . Funny thing but I thought exactly the same ,we looked like we'd won the GF after the game . But on the other hand the emotion of how it happened was irresistable and sometimes you just need to open the valve and let out the pressure.

I have zero issues with the emotion shown. The conditions were tough, our game plan was impacted by the change in interchange rotations, and we were coming from behind against a team we hadn't beat at home since 2009. The reward for winning was to take top position of the ladder and continue a winning streak not seen since 2004. And in front of a sell out home stadium that was absolutely roaring with energy in the final 10 minutes.

It's how we bounce back in the coming week that defines whether a team "played their final" after reacting like that. If the players let it go to their head, then it's lost. I am willing to bet though that come the Monday game reviews Fagan will have the game face on again, as will the boys.

I think it's Roos who was all over that lady behind the goal posts.. "oh she celebrated, she cried, oh she thought he'd miss but she forgot the banana kick from Charlie.. oh there she is".. cringe.
Huddo (i think) talked her up mentioning her reaction would become a youtube clip (iirc). At the time, the fuss commentators made over her was over the top. It was certainly cringe material. I'm now of opinion it's likely she is known to one/some of the commentators & was mentioned as a favour/bit of "in house" fun with her. Looked a little like Roos's wife actually.

Scary thought. What if Dan McStay takes that mark and shot at goal instead of McCarthy? What if it's in a final? Love that the club backs him to play his role but I hope we have Dave Alred shadowing him for the rest of the year!!

Scary thought. What if Dan McStay takes that mark and shot at goal instead of McCarthy? What if it's in a final? Love that the club backs him to play his role but I hope we have Dave Alred shadowing him for the rest of the year!!
Have faith, Dan would've nailed it (only if I didn't tip him in our weekly goalkicking comp). :p

OH. MAN. WHAT. A. GAME.....just had some ice cream to ease the soreness....the way the Gabba went off when Linc marked, just.....speechless.....off topic but the number of newborns I saw at the game dressed in geelong colours was weird. Do our supporters not bring their bubbies to the footy?
Ten years ago, I took my two/three year old to Lions v Hawks at the MCG complete with pusher. It was pretty tight to start with then Buddy kicked late goals in a couple of quarters & the crowd went off. My little fella sat with head down & ears covered. It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience for that young child. I said at the time "Never again! Imo taking a baby is not a good idea & to do it without ear plugs for them could be harmful to the child. Maybe our supporters are simply more switched on in regards to "times to find a babysitter" events.

Back