Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was it on the SEN Breakfast program this morning? Might be available in the podcast of that if so.

Yeah at the start of Whately.. may have only been the last 30 seconds. Part of a weekend wrap. I actually think the games go up don't they?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah at the start of Whately.. may have only been the last 30 seconds. Part of a weekend wrap. I actually think the games go up don't they?

Ahhhh yeah I did hear that, though I think that was the call of Linc's mark and then the final 10 or so seconds.

Not sure if the games go up somewhere or not, they don't appear on any podcast feed I subscribe to.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Surely Linc's mark gets the Quad Call on 360 too this week, but it still won't beat that video. I've watched it 10 times already and I get goosebumps every time. Love it.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ahhhh yeah I did hear that, though I think that was the call of Linc's mark and then the final 10 or so seconds.

Not sure if the games go up somewhere or not, they don't appear on any podcast feed I subscribe to.

lioninthesand Found it - in the first two minutes of Fages' chat with Gerard:

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely Linc's mark gets the Quad Call on 360 too this week, but it still won't beat that video. I've watched it 10 times already and I get goosebumps every time. Love it.

I rewound it literally 30 times last time. The call is great too "Woooahh... the big ride".... looking forward to the footy shows tonight.

Hi guys. I flew up to Brisbane to catch up with my son, and of course to go to the game.

It was a fantastic game, I can't seriously complain about the end. And I don't blame Bews, Cameron is a super star.

But the main comment that I want to make is that everyone in the crowd that I interacted with were fantastic. Great banter, full of goodwill. It makes it a pleasure to go to the footy when the crowd is like that, and what it should be like.

Good luck for the finals - hope to meet you in the GF !

Jimmy Two Hands

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks/Seattle Seahawks
lioninthesand Found it - in the first two minutes of Fages' chat with Gerard:

Interesting to him hear say that some of the younger players had never felt intensity like that. Not to poke the Rayner bear - but surely everyone can agree that its best for his development to experience that environment (and contribute within it) than running around a training drill kicking 3-4 goals in the NEAFL.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting to him hear say that some of the younger players had never felt intensity like that. Not to poke the Rayner bear - but surely everyone can agree that its best for his development to experience that environment (and contribute within it) than running around a training drill kicking 3-4 goals in the NEAFL.

Cam, Zac, Eric and Jarrod will all be better for experiencing that intensity and the intensity we'll face at the G this week. I think Witho handled it pretty well (barring that dreadful turnover kickout). Noah seemed pretty unfazed too.

Of course Clug didn't seem to notice the increase in pressure at all and still managed to find so much time. What a special, special player.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently - McCluggage, Linc, Rayner went into Kangaroo Point Macca's for dinner after the game. Obviously a club sanctioned carb load after playing in the heat (I know its often pizza) macca's was their choice.

The guy working there was a Lions fan, he said they ordered a shitload of food. He joked with Rayner about winning again and Rayner said "we will win the flag, you watch".. The Guy told him to settle down. Love the boys confidence.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The best thing about the Cats game is.. we played pretty Shite. Their pressure was good but we still didn't play well.

Out of bounds on the fulls, low possession counts, lots of players down, injuries, cautious ball movement. That was about 60% of our best IMO. Off day and still got up.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Hi guys. I flew up to Brisbane to catch up with my son, and of course to go to the game.

It was a fantastic game, I can't seriously complain about the end. And I don't blame Bews, Cameron is a super star.

But the main comment that I want to make is that everyone in the crowd that I interacted with were fantastic. Great banter, full of goodwill. It makes it a pleasure to go to the footy when the crowd is like that, and what it should be like.

Good luck for the finals - hope to meet you in the GF !
Footy going should always be like this. A significant compliment here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently - McCluggage, Linc, Rayner went into Kangaroo Point Macca's for dinner after the game. Obviously a club sanctioned carb load after playing in the heat (I know its often pizza) macca's was their choice.

The guy working there was a Lions fan, he said they ordered a s**tload of food. He joked with Rayner about winning again and Rayner said "we will win the flag, you watch".. The Guy told him to settle down. Love the boys confidence.

A new sponsor perhaps?!

Also does anyone know if Christensen left the Cats on bad terms? I noticed he had a serious expression when shaking the hands of the Cats players. Just a perfunctory hand shake and moved on.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Watched the game last night and Cam was directly involved in two goals - one streaming through the corridor and bombing it in for a Cameron goal. This was with four disposals. Imagine when he's getting 20 or more a game:eek:
All of this brouhaha about Cam's low level of possessions etc. just goes to show the inadequacy of statistics as a measure of a player's contribution to the team. That Fagan keeps selecting him is indicative of how highly he is regarded.

Was it noticed at all that an ankle-high pick up and handball by McStay was what led to McCarthy's sealer? Had he been playing in the NEAFL, this would probably have been a task beyond his capabilities. McStay's ability to bring the ball to ground, his sure hands under pressure and his penetrating kicks are why he's in the team.

There are many Brisbane followers who still haven't worked out how incredibly smart Fagan is. I'm only just beginning to realise myself. His intricate plot to get us to where we are is why the players have unswerving belief in what he's been doing for the past three years. All the players have to do is play their part, which includes playing with flair and excitement. Simples.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone notice Adams knees give way every time he kicks ?
Even though he got caught a couple of times I thought Zac Bailey played very well. For a young under sized kid to stand up in finals like game and deliver some pb stats was outstanding. He is made of the right stuff.
He certainly is and he is also tackling hard and effectively as well!

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
A new sponsor perhaps?!

Also does anyone know if Christensen left the Cats on bad terms? I noticed he had a serious expression when shaking the hands of the Cats players. Just a perfunctory hand shake and moved on.

Hasn't been with the team for years, wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't friends with a lot of the players anymore knowing what we know about the betting culture down in Melbourne.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Too hot. Too hard. At the Gabba. Home crowd [never happens at Geelong]. Ridiculous deliberate OOB call cost us the game. Charlie who?? Not enough free kicks [albeit +7]. Lions just plain lucky [headline in Hobart's Mercury yesterday- I kid you not!!]

Berry lucky to get off without report for deliberately trying to dislocate Duncan's elbow with his head [watch it on the replay- all the players stop, waiting for the obvious free kick, together with mandatory 50m. Crickets].

Why no free kicks to Gazza? And Hawk???

Serious crap!!!

Gracious in victory, gracious in defeat. Not. Can't wait for the soft treatment on AFL 360. At least Reiwoldt unafraid to call it out.

Too hot. Too hard. At the Gabba. Home crowd [never happens at Geelong]. Ridiculous deliberate OOB call cost us the game. Charlie who?? Not enough free kicks [albeit +7]. Lions just plain lucky [headline in Hobart's Mercury yesterday- I kid you not!!]

Berry lucky to get off without report for deliberately trying to dislocate Duncan's elbow with his head [watch it on the replay- all the players stop, waiting for the obvious free kick, together with mandatory 50m. Crickets].

Why no free kicks to Gazza? And Hawk???

Serious crap!!!

Gracious in victory, gracious in defeat. Not. Can't wait for the soft treatment on AFL 360. At least Reiwoldt unafraid to call it out.
At the ground, my immediate thought was that Gazzas kick was a deliberate kick for the line. Was not surprised at all when it was called!
Just because it went 60m doesn’t mean it wasn’t deliberate!

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
And another thing- an absolute buzz watching the departing after-game crowd, all with that winning glow, including all the kids who have been won over to our game for ever more. And unlike many a Melbourne ground [I speak from experience], no danger of serious assault from opposing supporters.

How far has our game in Brisbane come from those years ago when my son and I used to get out to Sherwood oval of a Sunday afternoon just to catch a weekly dose of AFL. If we continue with this lot, we're gunna need a bigger ground.

One bloke wandering past with a big banner- "You can't Dodge the Hodge". How true. Please ensure the bugger plays on again for one more. We should be mature enough to manage from then on.

Back