Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I've written this before, but I'm in a similar boat to BrainOfMorbius . Grew up in Brisbane so my immediate family had no real connection, but was brainwashed by our Carlton-mad uncle at an early age. We used to visit family on the Gold Coast every other weekend and quite often it coincided with Bears games at Carrara, so we'd stop in there on the way home to watch them get belted. Once the Bears came up the highway I started attending more games and inherited an unused membership in '95. When they played Carlton in the first week of finals, I was down in Melbourne to watch, but for some reason in that final quarter it was the Bears I wanted to win. And that was when I knew my allegiances had changed.

So as sad as I was when lionbear made the change, I understand some of the reasons why.

I think I've written this before, but I'm in a similar boat to BrainOfMorbius . Grew up in Brisbane so my immediate family had no real connection, but was brainwashed by our Carlton-mad uncle at an early age. We used to visit family on the Gold Coast every other weekend and quite often it coincided with Bears games at Carrara, so we'd stop in there on the way home to watch them get belted. Once the Bears came up the highway I started attending more games and inherited an unused membership in '95. When they played Carlton in the first week of finals, I was down in Melbourne to watch, but for some reason in that final quarter it was the Bears I wanted to win. And that was when I knew my allegiances had changed.

So as sad as I was when lionbear made the change, I understand some of the reasons why.

I was in a very similar position to you but with the Hawks. My family are all fanatic Hawk fans and typically the only games I'd ever get to attend were Brisbane v Hawks (and the occasional other Brisbane game) games. Having a local team with charismatic players like Acker on the field, I was absolutely hooked. I asked my Dad if I can make Brisbane my team and much to my families disappointment he said yes, embraced it and bought me a Lions Tee to wear to games.

In the end, life is too short and if Lionbear was going to 11 Geelong games a year and felt that connection as a fan, he has every right to support them.

I was in a very similar position to you but with the Hawks. My family are all fanatic Hawk fans and typically the only games I'd ever get to attend were Brisbane v Hawks (and the occasional other Brisbane game) games. Having a local team with charismatic players like Acker on the field, I was absolutely hooked. I asked my Dad if I can make Brisbane my team and much to my families disappointment he said yes, embraced it and bought me a Lions Tee to wear to games.

In the end, life is too short and if Lionbear was going to 11 Geelong games a year and felt that connection as a fan, he has every right to support them.
That’s an interesting story. My kids went the reverse to you. After our horror start last year and having just attended the Richmond game at the MCG where we got our first goal at time on in the third quarter, I said to my kids that I was always going to support Brisbane Lions, but if they wanted to pick another team they could. They both said that if I was going to barrack for the Brisbane Lions, they were too. Needless to say that we are all finding this year that little bit sweeter. Like me, the kids are now rusted on!

I remember lionbear switching and was shocked despite his explanation at the time.

I moved to Rosebud on the Mornington Peninsula for 20 years. I 've never thought once about ditching the Lions despite my brother and his family and my wife's family devout Bomber fans.... and yes very few games I could attend.

My kids were the only Lions supporters at their school.

Lionbear was a great contributor to our board.... when he jumped ship during our darkest hour as a club.... I lost all respect.

It's footy... you can barrack for different teams than your friends and family... heck the banter is fun....

You can have a second team too that you follow with interest and attend their games

But to dump your team all together and stop loving them??!!

It's unAustralian... and counters our footy culture completely.

....I was and still am surprised that it annoyed me so much when people jumped off when our club was hurting. There are many more important things in life that watching a footy team....

But it's the same feeling I get when I feel protective or defensive for my family or friends.... Footy isn't my primary focus in life..... but I've learnt that the Lions are definitely woven deeply in.
That’s why I’m a member and supporter of Fitzroy in the VAFA.

I THINK WE SHOULD JUST CALL IT! GEELONG ARE CHEATS!

PLAYERS LIKE DANGERFIELD "COACH" THE UMPIRES DURING GAMES AND GET AWAY WITH BLUE MURDER EVERY WEEK! ABLETT AND SELWOOD ARE JUST AS BAD!

BRISBANE'S WIN WAS MORE MERITORIOUS BECAUSE WE BEAT GEELONG AND THE UMPIRES!

What about the way they creep the mark. Cameron took mark in the first qtr on the run near the goal post but ended having the shot from the boundary line because the Cats defender just stole five metres on the mark and by the time the umpire got there to set the mark the cats player was standing metres from the original mark.

They are great at also holding onto a player for that extra second when a free kick is paid against them. All teams try it but Geelong are the best just holding them up. Selwood even got away with pushing a Lions player over after after a free kick was paid - how that was 50m I will never know. Umpires are scared of them. Ablett is a disgrace. Every time he is within the umpires ears he is taking to them.

How often are Martin's 'don't argues" in the throat as opposed to the chest?
A lot slip up you notice a few a game although seeing it is Dusty just play on.
He is a great player although it is annoying as it is his trademark they let any go. I seen many slip to face and throat you see a lot on shoulders.
Other players go a little high and paid each time. You rarely see Dusty get caught as the crowd goes ohhhh.

Things let go as they are brownlow favs annoy me or like the Dogs throws not called as a slick team :(
Watched some of there GWS and Bombers games they just throw it.
Bont gets 10 hours to get rid of the ball as well. Then throws it :) Danger, Ablett,Pendles also get extra time.
Like Joel Rubber legs Selwood.. Great player wish he did not dive.
Matho does it with us and Bundy and I cringe.
Neale gets no gift frees. Zorko plays up for them a lot so misses others.
If your a big name A grader you get away with things

If it was Danger instead of Berry who ran extra it would not be called

I still can't get my head around " heavily thinking through" an emotional detachment and re-attachment to another football club, no matter how "unique" the circumstances. Seems like the logical mind has to somehow override the heart, something that I've always struggled with..

I just couldn't do it but you obviously have, so good for you I suppose. However it seems a little odd to me , that for someone who has "moved on" that you frequently appear on our forum to regale us with your insights; Sounds like you are a little conflicted.

I think you should however, have the decency to change your username.

Your continued use of lionbear as your username is a little weird for a proudly self professed/confessed Cat convert. :poo:

Believe it or not I do still watch some Lions games, I have moved on but was asked the question about changing teams, perhaps going forward if the question is asked I will do so via provate message thus removing this topic ever coming up again.

It is wrong of me to expect people to fully understand the change when it took at least 2 years to fully understand it myself, one thing I will say is the brush it tars you with is one that could be very painful if you are not 100% on the change, and I wont go through the full reasoning again.

I return here because I have people still on this board that I consider friends, I still chat with many Lions people about the Lions, even though I am not as emotionally attached I dont think a change of club should black list me from talking to those who I talked footy with over many years.

I could change my username, but it has been that for 12 years now and honestly never thought about it.

In saying all that the times I have returned this year have opened up old wounds for Lions posters, perhaps it is best I stick to the Geelong board now and wish my old team the best for the remainder of the season. If you do go on and win the flag I will congratulate you all from a far.

Good luck and all the best:thumbsu:

"Switching" makes it sound like a sudden decision - it was in fact a long process, a realisation that your heart has realigned, and learning to accept that. Coming out as a Brisbane supporter in my family was a bit like coming out as gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Either of them.
Yes I followed a similar path. Emotionally left Collingwood after 1990 and started taking an interest in the unloved Bears. For those who find it difficult to understand, think about being born into a strict Christian family but over years coming to the realisation that traditional Christian practice doesn’t meet your spiritual needs. Enjoying my football much more following Brisbane.

Believe it or not I do still watch some Lions games, I have moved on but was asked the question about changing teams, perhaps going forward if the question is asked I will do so via provate message thus removing this topic ever coming up again.

It is wrong of me to expect people to fully understand the change when it took at least 2 years to fully understand it myself, one thing I will say is the brush it tars you with is one that could be very painful if you are not 100% on the change, and I wont go through the full reasoning again.

I return here because I have people still on this board that I consider friends, I still chat with many Lions people about the Lions, even though I am not as emotionally attached I dont think a change of club should black list me from talking to those who I talked footy with over many years.

I could change my username, but it has been that for 12 years now and honestly never thought about it.

In saying all that the times I have returned this year have opened up old wounds for Lions posters, perhaps it is best I stick to the Geelong board now and wish my old team the best for the remainder of the season. If you do go on and win the flag I will congratulate you all from a far.

Meh relationships break up and people move on and create new ones with different people all the time. Some of them manage to stay friends with the old partner, and good on them.

You've clearly thought long and hard about your decision, and I for one, do not have a problem with it. Won't be doing it myself, but it's your call to make.

Yes I followed a similar path. Emotionally left Collingwood after 1990 and started taking an interest in the unloved Bears. For those who find it difficult to understand, think about being born into a strict Christian family but over years coming to the realisation that traditional Christian practice doesn’t meet your spiritual needs. Enjoying my football much more following Brisbane.

Grew up in nsw with league and watched my father become a qld fan back when it was nsw v qld not state of origin. He thought it was massively unfair. That caused some right old beanies between him and one of my brothers.

Re umpiring favouritism- Bontompelli gets off with a ridiculously light fine for a late bump fracturing an opponents throat, leaving him out for a minimum 4 weeks.

Gazza jnr. runs in, well after a square contest, to push over a Lions opponent, with all the attendant potential for square up. No comment.

Berry gets a "made to earn it" head high leaving him [and his opponents] staggered, no further comment.

Sounds fair.

I commented to my 2 nearby Cats supporters- we always cop the crap umpires up here. Out of sight, out of mind.

I commented before the game- wish we'd had Razor officiating. No favouritism there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are always welcome here. I have no issue with the change of clubs. Hope to see you posting here again soon.

You're always welcome back mate. You're the only Cats supporter I like ;)

While I love the use of the law book and its terminology, I’d still say that it’s not deliberate. This is a situation where you give the player the benefit of the doubt. It was a long clearing kick that Danger managed to get within a couple metres of. It was major and obvious, more 50/50, and for 50/50 free kicks you let them slide as an official to help keep the game flowing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It wasn't deliberate. There is no deliberate rule. The fact that Danger didn't get to the ball means it was kicked to space and near the boundary. It was a calculated risk, but it didn't pay off. It was a clear free kick.
The "flow of the game" argument just doesn't make sense in this situation. You got better flow by awarding a free kick where the ball is cleared from the area as opposed to if it was just 'let go' which would have been another stoppage and good chance of a further stoppage at the drop of the ball.
There's no need for benefit of the doubt, as the free kick is not adjudicated on whether he deliberately kicked it out or accidentally did so. He kicked it to space and it went out. That's the rule.

I too would happily have your drop by here when ever you like

Do not worry about a couple of insecure folk that can't accept your change. You are always welcome. Y'all come back now, Y'all hear.

Old Fitzroy fan and my second team was the Bears since they started.. Liked the underdogs.
Use to watch Bears matches as well. So when we merged I knew all the players.
Now I have no second team just one happy family.
Was sad Fitzroy merged did not want to be the North Melbourne Kangaoos.

It wasn't deliberate. There is no deliberate rule. The fact that Danger didn't get to the ball means it was kicked to space and near the boundary. It was a calculated risk, but it didn't pay off. It was a clear free kick.
The "flow of the game" argument just doesn't make sense in this situation. You got better flow by awarding a free kick where the ball is cleared from the area as opposed to if it was just 'let go' which would have been another stoppage and good chance of a further stoppage at the drop of the ball.
There's no need for benefit of the doubt, as the free kick is not adjudicated on whether he deliberately kicked it out or accidentally did so. He kicked it to space and it went out. That's the rule.

I did review it again after my comment and agree that it’s deliberate.

However, there is certainly benefit of the doubt given to players in this situation. Players have poor disposal all the time and if a player shanks the ball into space and over the line then it’s not deliberate. It even happened earlier in the game for Harris Andrews. Players walk over the line or take it over during the action of a kick, with the intention of bringing it out but you don’t pay DOOB because you give them the benefit of the doubt that they were showing sufficient intent.

Also, the flow of the game was just mentioned as to why you don’t pay 50/50 free kicks. 50/50’s are also not paid because if you were to pay them then you’d have an extra 10-20 free kicks each game, which is not what football wants. You don’t pick and choose which 50/50’s you pay based on whether it helps the game flow, it’s just one of the reasons you don’t pay 50/50’s.

I did review it again after my comment and agree that it’s deliberate.

However, there is certainly benefit of the doubt given to players in this situation. Players have poor disposal all the time and if a player shanks the ball into space and over the line then it’s not deliberate. It even happened earlier in the game for Harris Andrews. Players walk over the line or take it over during the action of a kick, with the intention of bringing it out but you don’t pay DOOB because you give them the benefit of the doubt that they were showing sufficient intent.

Also, the flow of the game was just mentioned as to why you don’t pay 50/50 free kicks. 50/50’s are also not paid because if you were to pay them then you’d have an extra 10-20 free kicks each game, which is not what football wants. You don’t pick and choose which 50/50’s you pay based on whether it helps the game flow, it’s just one of the reasons you don’t pay 50/50’s.
The only thing I will say with the Harris kick was that it was an obvious mis-kick and the umpire said and signalled as much when he called for the throw in.

Old Fitzroy fan and my second team was the Bears since they started.. Liked the underdogs.
Use to watch Bears matches as well. So when we merged I knew all the players.

Pretty much the same for me.

I wouldn't have called the Bears my second team as such, but they were if you know what I mean. Being a younger fella at the time with more time on my hands, I pretty much watched all of the Bears games as well and particularly enjoyed the 95-96 seasons when Fiztroy were literally a basket case and you'd be schlepping all over the place coping one belting after the other. To be honest, by that stage, I couldn't have done the Whitten Oval much more. We were lucky to get 10K people at games and had no connection to Footscray and the western suburbs in general, which I just hated anyway and were becoming souless.

I think my connection with Brisbane grew when pretty much all of the Fitzroy players agreed to relocate to Brisbane after the 86 season, to be known as surprise, surpirse, the Brisbane Lions which ultimately didn't happen and should have. I was dead against the respective Footscray (years earlier) and North mergers, so was elated and immediately on board when the Bears and Fiztroy merged and have been a foundation member ever since.

Further to your point though, there were also a lot of players that played at both the Bears, Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions that really were favourites of mine at both club, with Mark Zanotti my personal favourite to have played for both the Bears and Fitzroy.

Back