Preview Round 22, 2019: Carlton v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 17th August, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 50 89.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think baring playing Carlton battle should go forward, Carlisle should roam around the ground, play Rowe, marsh etc. I don’t see the point. 2 games proves nothing. We should be going all out to win every game. We aren’t a side good players want to come to. Is any side actually experimenting these days?
i personally think stability is the strongest thing we can have ... the more games we get with the same guys playing together the more synegy they have as a group .. i understand form will dictate players be dropped i understand injurys will throw a spanner in the works but the less changes you have to make the better ... that said it took an experiment to see Josh Bruce become a forward and Battle to become a backman some times these things can turn out ok but where we are at as a club right now i wouldnt experiment or play to emotional farewell games as it serves no benefit we know where we are at with the list we dont need to have a look at the players as we know them and what they bring, we have done a review last year so we need to finish strong and bring momentum for 2020

Walsh would be pretty close to the 40 man squad, he's been exceptional. I think he averages around 26 disposals a game in his first year. They will find a way to get him in the list.
He has had a fantastic first year but he is not near the group of top midfielders in the competition.
Would be a disgrace for him to be near the AA40.

i personally think stability is the strongest thing we can have ... the more games we get with the same guys playing together the more synegy they have as a group .. i understand form will dictate players be dropped i understand injurys will throw a spanner in the works but the less changes you have to make the better ... that said it took an experiment to see Josh Bruce become a forward and Battle to become a backman some times these things can turn out ok but where we are at as a club right now i wouldnt experiment or play to emotional farewell games as it serves no benefit we know where we are at with the list we dont need to have a look at the players as we know them and what they bring, we have done a review last year so we need to finish strong and bring momentum for 2020
Exactly. That’s what pre season is for.

I was lucky enough to be at PP for this game. Only win i saw in my 7 or 8 trips there. God I hated that place. For some reason i remember being quietly confident of winning that day. Same as 95 at waverly when no one gave us much chance. Ahh how i miss the upbeat, youthful me from the early 90s. 🤣

Same here Jughead.....that was the first win I'd seen there since my first visit in 1973.

A group of us went every year as we figured the law of averages would have us winning sooner or later.

It was much much later than sooner.

Timmy Pekin from memory slotted the winner.

And boy....did we celebrate that night......our host for that day took us into the Carlton Soclal club after the siren....can't tell you how good that was !

Of course....the game in late 2003 made all those horror years at that venue worth waiting for.

18 goals to half time...…….I was in Saints heaven.

MAGIC !

Ok. Just think he may by the committee because of who he plays for. McEvoy is probably third I think Marshall is the third best ruck in the afl. Said that many times. The aa committee has a habit of missing newer players. Don’t think we will find out because I think only 2 will be picked. If more it won’t be Marshall
the AA committee is a farce ... has been for years the whole thing lost any credibility the year Fraser Gehrig was overlooked for the AA team after winning the coleman that year ... throw in the time Pavlich was named as CHB in the AA team despite never playing there... or the yearly random WCE/Freo player who gets named just off the back of Jacovich being on the panel ...
AA is like the highschool popularity contest .. its nice when one of our guys gets a nomination but its not anything to get too worked up over

I've attended 2 games this year
-Saints v Port Adelaide
-Saints v Brisbane
I rank both those games a distant second to my last root canal
I was considering going to this game but I suspect I am currently cursed, so I will not be attending.
Based on my non-attendance, I predict the Saints to win by 12 points, Josh Bruce to kick 6.1, and Cripps to miss the last quarter with severe cramp due to towing Jack Steele around for 3 quarters.

the AA committee is a farce ... has been for years the whole thing lost any credibility the year Fraser Gehrig was overlooked for the AA team after winning the coleman that year ... throw in the time Pavlich was named as CHB in the AA team despite never playing there... or the yearly random WCE/Freo player who gets named just off the back of Jacovich being on the panel ...
AA is like the highschool popularity contest .. its nice when one of our guys gets a nomination but its not anything to get too worked up over

Agree completely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a reminder - free access to the MCG for Saints members this week - Saturday afternoon - sunny - no money going to the Blues - no excuses!!!!!!

They really have outdated information. NationalBus hasnt existed since 2013!

Same here Jughead.....that was the first win I'd seen there since my first visit in 1973.

A group of us went every year as we figured the law of averages would have us winning sooner or later.

And boy....did we celebrate that night......our host for that day took us into the Carlton Soclal club after the siren....can't tell you how good that was !

Of course....the game in late 2003 made all those horror years at that venue worth waiting for.

MAGIC !
my last game there was as a guest of a social club member.

What a hortible experience. We lost. Plugger played and all day I had to bite my lip whilst a group of old biddies fat shamed him all game.

Never again.

MAGIC !

Of course there was the horror of 1987, SW, when we led at the death by 5 points. With seconds left, Alvin marked a miskick from Sartori, who was kicking for goal.

Sartori's shanked kick fell just short of the goalsquare, falling into Alvin's lap. Spud flattened him, leaving a decent receipt. It would've been a report today and at least a couple of weeks. Not even a15 metre penalty was awarded.

Alvin was so badly shaken, the kick was given to Mil Hanna. From the hirsute to the bald. From 15 out dead in front, Hanna just snuck the kick inside the right hand goal post. Only inches in it. Carlton by 1 point.

There was barely enough time to bounce the ball in the middle before the final siren went. Carlton 12.25.97 St.Kilda 14.12.96. Devastating. We went down by a goal at Filth Park that year as well. What a double that would've been!

It made our subsequent dominance of Carlscum in the noughties even sweeter.

Of course there was the horror of 1987, SW, when we led at the death by 5 points. With seconds left, Alvin marked a miskick from Sartori, who was kicking for goal.

Sartori's shanked kick fell just short of the goalsquare, falling into Alvin's lap. Spud flattened him, leaving a decent receipt. It would've been a report today and at least a couple of weeks. Not even a15 metre penalty was awarded.

Alvin was so badly shaken, the kick was given to Mil Hanna. From the hirsute to the bald. From 15 out dead in front, Hanna just snuck the kick inside the right hand goal post. Only inches in it. Carlton by 1 point.

There was barely enough time to bounce the ball in the middle before the final siren went. Carlton 12.25.97 St.Kilda 14.12.96. Devastating. We went down by a goal at Filth Park that year as well. What a double that would've been!

It made our subsequent dominance of Carlscum in the noughties even sweeter.
Didn't help that the last quarter went for 5 hours!

An extra 10 hitouts per game is the difference. Around the ground they're very even
I'd say Roma is better around the ground tbh. Much more athletic and agile than Gawn, more clearances, better goal kicking ratio (8/10 as opposed to 4/10), less clangers, more contested possessions. Gawn's got him covered in the ruck but I don't think there's much of a gap between the two in terms of overall impact each game. Grundy a clear number 1 for me this year.

I've attended 2 games this year
-Saints v Port Adelaide
-Saints v Brisbane
I rank both those games a distant second to my last root canal
I was considering going to this game but I suspect I am currently cursed, so I will not be attending.
Based on my non-attendance, I predict the Saints to win by 12 points, Josh Bruce to kick 6.1, and Cripps to miss the last quarter with severe cramp due to towing Jack Steele around for 3 quarters.
Love for all Saints supporters to get down to the game, but sorry mate you should probably watch it somewhere else - we cant risk losing to the Blues. They should give me special tickets, been to GC, Hawks, Tigers, Demons, Freo so 4 wins from 5 games this year 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back