Autopsy Round 22, 2019: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The last full season he played wasn't hope though. It actually happened. He performed better in his underage year than many of the best in recent drafts performed when they were a year older. That is a fact, not a myth.

You suggested or implied that those who are indeed hoping that he'll be good aren't actually basing it on anything (evidence), so I provided evidence that he has shown when last fully fit that he can seriously play.

That is what they are basing their hope on.

Now of course his back may explode, or he may get run over by an aeroplane, or trampled by an elephant tomorrow and he may never play senior game, but if he gets a good run at it from here, I would suggest we have good reason to be optimistic about his prospects.

Because of what he showed he can do when last fully fit. Which it sounds like he might be again now.
If form was carried over from first year of under 18’s then the ability of players would never alter. It’s now hope especially after a serious back injury. Worth the punt though.

The last full season Bytel played wasn't hope though. It actually happened. He performed better in his underage year than many of the best in recent drafts performed when they were a year older. That is a fact, not a myth.

You suggested or implied that those who are indeed hoping that he'll be good aren't actually basing it on anything (evidence), so I provided evidence that he has shown when last fully fit that he can seriously play.

That is what they are basing their hope on.

Now of course his back may explode, or he may get run over by an aeroplane, or trampled by an elephant tomorrow, and he may never play senior game, but if he gets a good run at it from here, I would suggest we have good reason to be optimistic about his prospects.

Because of what he showed he can do when last fully fit. Which it sounds like he might be again now.

You're of course free to not be optimistic about his prospects if you'd prefer though. Makes no difference to me either way.

With all due respect, when was the last time someone got run over by an aeroplane?

Apparently Josh Battle is get his Rising Star nomination announced later this evening? Can anyone confirm?

FWIW

Battle still $251 on Sportsbet
Hind's market suspended (only option suspended)

Perhaps the Saints did get a nod, just not who we thought.

Lonie is always a liability against a fast attacking HBF, teams put their most attacking flanker on him due to his lack of pace and marking abilities. Lonie is a good little battler but he wont be in any of our GF sides in the future, he has too many weaknesses.
Absolute rubbish, he is our best pressure forward. You have to remember he had a fairly severe injury and is probably not at peak fitness.

Absolute rubbish, he is our best pressure forward. You have to remember he had a fairly severe injury and is probably not at peak fitness.
He was very good before his injury this year and deserves to be in the side at the moment.
But would he get a game in any of the top 6 sides ? i dont think he would

If you go by that theory, 3/4 of our team are in that boat. I think his best form would get him close in a couple of teams up the top
Yep I agree with 3/4 of the team bit
we complain about about not being good enough and then in the same breath we dont want to get rid of some of the players that make us a average team

Yep I agree with 3/4 of the team bit
we complain about about not being good enough and then in the same breath we dont want to get rid of some of the players that make us a average team
I don't complain, I truly believe he is a fairly handy player, has a fair dinkum crack when he is out there, and would probably be a better player in a better team. He reminds me a bit of Hayden Ballantyne only without the smartarse attitude

I don't complain, I truly believe he is a fairly handy player, has a fair dinkum crack when he is out there, and would probably be a better player in a better team. He reminds me a bit of Hayden Ballantyne only without the smartarse attitude
100% agree he has a fair dinkum crack every single game, if a few others cracked in like him we would be a better side imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonie was rubbish on the weekend but he's been much better than that overall this year. His crumbing has never been his strength, he really needs to improve that side of his game but he's got time. His pressure and ability to half contests and set up play in the half forward line is why you'd include him, really similar to Schneider not quite as deadly though. He's a long way back in the queue for the exit IMO.

The season was pretty much done done, but there was a faint wishful hope of finals, yet there was a real lack of spark in the second half. Membrey was the only forward who played like a good forward should- lead, present, move to position quickly- the rest were bloody hopeless and let their opponent lead them to the contest.
I hope there is a ruthless clean out at season's end, as we have too many who just don't contribute enough, and it has been another wasted season.

Too many players have been cruising for the last 6 or so years. No real endeavour to do much else except show up & collect their massive contract. Someone like Bruce is probably getting paid as much as Ben Brown & Newnes as much as Toby Greene. Which players are going to be culture changes that are sick of losing & want to take this team forward?

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but that moment from Hunter in the 2nd quarter where he gathers a loose ball under pressure, steps away from the Carlton player trying to tackle him, steps around around player, fakes a handball than perfectly delivers the ball to a teammate 15m away with a kick on his left.
Just another glimpse of why he is going to be an absolute superstar.
Bont like

Remove this Banner Ad

Back