Autopsy Round 22, 2019: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Throughout our recent lean years, the one thing we always had for comfort was our domination of carlton. Looks like we don't even have that anymore.

source (6).gif

TheJackal

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
One of the funniest games I've been to in ages. I wasn't emotionally invested in the game so at this stage the loss means possibly pick 5 instead of pick 9 to me.

But gee Carlton supporters are passionate nufties when they are guaranteed 16th spot on the ladder...

We didn't work hard enough and didn't want it as much, Carlton played their hearts out and Levi smashed us, that's awkward.

Bit yeah, whatevs, sucks to lose but nothing to play for and it showed.

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well we can't say we didn't have a go, but gees we make life hard for ourselves. Some of the goals we missed directly in front of goals was amateur hour. Whoever thinks we don't need more quality midfielders are kidding themselves. Dunstan as usual against quicker opponents was a complete liability. Our midfield group was absolutely flogged and as a collective our kicking and ball handling skills are disgraceful for an AFL team.

I wrote in the game day thread I hope Lade & Ratten change our midfield handball movement. The amount of times we win the ball with space ahead of us and handball backwards to a stationary team mate is beyond stupid. That and our slow looping/dinky little handballs to a team mate 1 or 2 metres away we simply have to get that out of our game.

I also mentioned this in the game day thread and throughout the year, as a group we are a very weak over head and a poor contested marking team. It is another thing the new coach needs to identify and work on at training. The other thing is players hanging onto the ball to draw an opponent or tackler then giving off - its like we want to play touch football at times.

It was like the umpires were barricking for Carlton in the last quarter, but as a group they deserved the win. I understand Cartlton were killing us in contests hence us playing the extra around the ball, but it felt very Richo like today. Ratten was prepared to leave Carlton with a loose defender, where most of their scores came from. Again we just bombed it long to marking contests where Casbult was killing us. Carlton defended well but gees they got away a lot with pushing or easing our blokes under the ball with their hands. Its something we have to learn from and change up.

Again I question Richos/Ratten's lack of midfield rotations developed over the season. Dunstan was like a statue but he left him in their which shows no imagination, which was very Richo like. I hope Ratten/Lade can identitify the need to develop and manage our midfield differently. TBH that was the first crack I saw in Rattens armour today, hopefully that is not the norm.

Last edited:

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clarke is going to be a player. Hind was good in patches. Hannebury looked okay. Not much else to be excited about.

Dunstan contract is not going to age well. Debatable whether he is AFL standard. 3 years is another unnecessary contract.

I would also trade Carlisle, looks cooked and doesn't have a genuine position. Still has trade value, if he puts a season together next year anything close to how bad he has being the past month he will be worthless in 12 months.

Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
We couldn’t keep it in our 50 at all. They got out the back throughout the day.

Hannerbery showed his class. Every handball went to a target, not at feet like most of the others.

Obviously an emotional win for the Blues but after last week, happy to put the cue in the rack.

Swans will probably being Buddy in for his 300th next week and we will be on the end of it again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Disappointing to lose but it’s hard to care about losing a meaningless game.
Meaningless game ? But to be fair i reckon a few players think like that as well

Clarke is going to be a player. Hind was good in patches. Hannebury looked okay. Not much else to be excited about.

Dunstan contract is not going to age well. Debatable whether he is AFL standard. 3 years is another unnecessary contract.

I would also trade Carlisle, looks cooked and doesn't have a genuine position. Still has trade value, if he puts a season together next year anything close to how bad he has being the past month he will be worthless in 12 months.

Oh, come on.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Got two years which was complete fair based off his season this year.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Meaningless game or not, I hate losing to the cheats.

Hannebery, Billings, Hind my best three.

Dunstan's deal is two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013

Hopefully we still move him on
16 touches today not good enough

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I suspect the most common word heard at our club this week will be PRIDE, because we showed precious little today.

If only there were a chance to reinforce that somehow in the game against Sydney next week...

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I thought it was the worst game we've played since Ratten took over. We were out-pressured and out-tackled, our forward entries were poor and we struggled at times to clear the ball from defence.

Despite being out-played for large periods, we still put ourselves in a position to win the game at times but missed easy shots. That Membrey miss to make a nice gap was just atrocious.

It was a frustrating game to watch, but hopefully we will learn from it. I think Hind looks better every week and Clark was great again.

The decision to play Brown ahead of Webster didn't pay off. We really could have used Webster's intensity and kicking out of defence.

The Blues played well, but I don't feel like they are light-years ahead of us or anything. On another day we could have easily won the game. But they were the better side today.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
A lot of players looked slow and weren't doing much. Got destroyed in the contested marking and then when Carlton didn't mark it a Carlton player would easily crumb it. Aside from Hind, the small forwards did nothing again.

Out Lonie, In Langlands

Brown surplus to requirements that game. In Webster

Newnes and Sinclair probably lucky that there are no ideal replacements. Maybe Marsh? at least he has some pace.

Macgruber

All Australian
Dec 4, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
4 goals up in the second quarter and then took the foot off the pedal imho

Smart ass handballs going in one handed and alike got Carlton back I to it.

I thought after Membrey put us back in front in the last wed finish them off.

Nope Carlton simply outworked us in the second half. It was like they had an extra player at every contest.

Best: Membrey Steele Billings Ross Hannebery Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda

Doesnt mean he cant be traded if we attract others.

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I could see our game plan was too get it in long and quick to try and expose their lack of height in defence but not sure whether it was poor kicking, poor positioning by our forwards or a combination of both but that game plan was not working and it reminded me of the Richo days when we had no backup plan.
We had our chances but had way too many players disappear for long periods. Clark was again promising and looked a class above. He's officially my boy

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
So much for Richo bragging about us being the fittest team in the comp, we ran out of legs in that last quarter.

Understandable with Steven and Hannebery who haven't had that many games under their belt but we had a few other guys go missing after half time.

Billings, Hind, Lonie - a few of our prime movers in the first half were MIA in the 2nd half, we were getting out run by Kade Simpson who must be pushing 40.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back