Noidenous

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2012
Climbing out your mum's window
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
Today I learnt that Noidenous thinks we are less mentally stable than a team that conceded 21 straight goals last week.
Guess what...

That's the only team from that group that we beat.

Guess what...

They're more consistently good than us.

Today I learned* SaintersUnite thinks the ladder works in reverse.

* The correct word.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Just don't see how we can get up past 9th or 10th anytime soon.

Getting close to a decade since we played finals, the nineties and noughties we played finals regularly.

Used to laugh at how teams like Richmond and Freo rarely played finals during that time, even they've played more finals than us this decade.

We've gone backwards as a club, Grant Thomas tried to turn our culture around to be successful and we sacked him.

We haven't played as well as we did under him since, even under Ross Lyon when we made GFs.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Getting close to a decade since we played finals, the nineties and noughties we played finals regularly.

Used to laugh at how teams like Richmond and Freo rarely played finals during that time, even they've played more finals than us this decade.

We've gone backwards as a club, Grant Thomas tried to turn our culture around to be successful and we sacked him.

We haven't played as well as we did under him since, even under Ross Lyon when we made GFs.

Like you Pluggs I was a big GT fan but he had a team absolutely full of talent in an environment where it was easier to re build solely through the draft.

Throughout our recent lean years, the one thing we always had for comfort was our domination of carlton. Looks like we don't even have that anymore.

View attachment 728556

My brother follows Carlton. The lean years have been painful but the one thing that kept me going was our wiping our arses on Carlton's hopes. I was already struggling with not being very good but this has just shat on an already crap year.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well we can't say we didn't have a go, but gees we make life hard for ourselves. Some of the goals we missed directly in front of goals was amateur hour. Whoever thinks we don't need more quality midfielders are kidding themselves. Dunstan as usual against quicker opponents was a complete liability. Our midfield group was absolutely flogged and as a collective our kicking and ball handling skills are disgraceful for an AFL team.

I wrote in the game day thread I hope Lade & Ratten change our midfield handball movement. The amount of times we win the ball with space ahead of us and handball backwards to a stationary team mate is beyond stupid. That and our slow looping/dinky little handballs to a team mate 1 or 2 metres away we simply have to get that out of our game.

I also mentioned this in the game day thread and throughout the year, as a group we are a very weak over head and a poor contested marking team. It is another thing the new coach needs to identify and work on at training. The other thing is players hanging onto the ball to draw an opponent or tackler then giving off - its like we want to play touch football at times.

It was like the umpires were barricking for Carlton in the last quarter, but as a group they deserved the win. I understand Cartlton were killing us in contests hence us playing the extra around the ball, but it felt very Richo like today. Ratten was prepared to leave Carlton with a loose defender, where most of their scores came from. Again we just bombed it long to marking contests where Casbult was killing us. Carlton defended well but gees they got away a lot with pushing or easing our blokes under the ball with their hands. Its something we have to learn from and change up.

Again I question Richos/Ratten's lack of midfield rotations developed over the season. Dunstan was like a statue but he left him in their which shows no imagination, which was very Richo like. I hope Ratten/Lade can identitify the need to develop and manage our midfield differently. TBH that was the first crack I saw in Rattens armour today, hopefully that is not the norm.

Sadly we could write the same review for 90% of the losses in the last 2 years, if this is our best 22 and we play this game style we'll be writing the same reviews for the next three years too.

Looks like a whole lot of us received one.

Not going to waste a second of my time reading it.

Please feel free to report him for us if it's deserving of it.
Done. Im about to dispatch a PM to George

I mean Im laughing at it because someone actually took the time to laugh at us.

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Guess what...

That's the only team from that group that we beat.

Guess what...

They're more consistently good than us.

Today I learned* SaintersUnite thinks the ladder works in reverse.

* The correct word.

Better than us does not equal more mentally stable. Have you ever thought that maybe the top 8 team just have better lists than ours? Shocker I know.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Like you Pluggs I was a big GT fan but he had a team absolutely full of talent in an environment where it wss easier to re build solely through the draft.

We had a lot of talent with the likes of Riewoldt, Kosi, Goddard, Ball, Milney. Dal Santo and old man Harvey but he knew how to get the best out of them.

He turned the G-Train into one of our best full forwards since Plugger and he picked up the likes of Guerra and Powell to give us some muscle in the mids

We also had a lot of bad luck under him. those years in 2004/05 we were missing Kosi, Ball, Hamill and Goose Maguire for a good chunk of the time.

Everyone gives Lyon credit for us making GFs in 09/10 but GT laid the groundwork and he wouldn't have played Robert F***ing Eddy in either of them.

I have my PM function disabled, it’s worth doing. I can send & start PM’s but with the exception of mods no one can initiate a PM with me.
I dont get many PMs as is.

I just find it funny more than anything that someone has taken the effort to type HAHA.
Proberly a burner account.

Clearly out coached today. Not sold on Ratten or Harvey. Let’s hope the committee are looking at all options.

Poo list still. We are about 6 players shot of competitive. Stuv going next year should make s bottom 2 despite making us s**t today. We need to go to the draft and find some more Hunter Clark types before we go after existing talent or we are just wall-papering over a cracked wall.

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sadly we could write the same review for 90% of the losses in the last 2 years, if this is our best 22 and we play this game style we'll be writing the same reviews for the next three years too.

Agree it annoys the shyte out of me watching the same dumb football over and over again. We play our best footy when our mids travel forward and kick to lead up players, but its like its against team rules at St Kilda. Firstly we have to go back and sideways 3 times before a player under pressure scrubs a kick forward. And again the same mid group getting slaughtered and like the Richo years the same players rotated, plus contiunally bombing it forward. Surely Ratten has more of an idea than that, if not he doesnt deserve the job either?

Last edited:

Noidenous

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2012
Climbing out your mum's window
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
Better than us does not equal more mentally stable. Have you ever thought that maybe the top 8 team just have better lists than ours? Shocker I know.
You've not named a single team we're mentally stronger and better prepared than.

You've also not provided any evidence beyond a single anomalous result.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
We got outrun and outworked. Reckon a few guys have hit the wall, compounded by playing underdone Stuv 2nd up. Meant too much fell to too few.

Roma tried hus guts out but was taught a lesson by Kruezer, particularly early in the last. He will have learnt a lot from that today.

Hunter is amazing and will be an absolute star in a year or 2. Amazing composure in close.

Hanners footskills are beautiful, the way he draws players to where he wants the ball to go. Hopefully some kids are watching him closely coz they could do with learning a bit.

Hind a highlight, will get better with another AFL pre season into him. Continually lowers the eyes and looks to bring others into the game

Steele did really well at keeping a lid on Cripps. I thought he kept Cripps about as ineffectual as possible.

Overall pretty disappointing but like some others not devastating. We have a lot to work with.

Im still fuming and Im two pints in.

A mate brought me back 2 huge bottles of 140 proof vodka and I'm into it. I think my vision is going from it. I'm starting to forget what AFL even is.

Back