Review Round 22 2019 vs North - the great humiliation

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d suggest North worked out how to open our lock it in the forward half playbook and in turn opened us easier than a can of baked beans!

Season over regardless, maybe 2020 we won’t be inconsistent but I highly doubt it if we persist with the same seniors
Two points here:

1. Nah, for whatever cause the real reason was a rubbish mental preparation and attitude, resulting in a lack of premiership level of hardness. This is on our coaches and players.

2. Baked bean cans, particularly the small tins, are actually very hard to open because the bloody rings are too small and break off often.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Two points here:

1. Nah, for whatever cause the real reason was a rubbish mental preparation and attitude, resulting in a lack of premiership level of hardness. This is on our coaches and players.

2. Baked bean cans, particularly the small tins, are actually very hard to open because the bloody rings are too small and break off often.

I've had the same thing with tins of Spam. It's getting to the stage where I'm considering not buying any Spam next year.

Caro Wilson (not North supporters favourite person soz) said Goldstein played one of his best ever games and will miss out on 3 votes because of Ben Brown.

Ben Brown also played one of his best ever games last night so I'm not sure what Caro's point is. Someone will miss out.

If only we had a suitable key defender and prime ruck option to counter those two...

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Ollie Wines, for instance, would have gone well-past the likes of Cunnington and Ziebell several years ago if he was at any other club. That’s sorta the crux of the issue.

It’s not the thread for it but Cunnington is a flat out gun.

I suspect because no one watches North games and he doesn’t score fantasy hundreds every week he is criminally underrated.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
As I said, I'm on your board so aware of the sensitivities.

Ollie Wines is a gun and came out of the blocks super quick and does seem to have stagnated a bit, but Ben Cunnington holds the all time record for contested possesions in a game.

How much further past that were you expecting Wines to go?

You saw last night that if not heavily tagged he orchestrates it all from the guts.

Scott took that 2014/15 list to its natural limited - we were one genuine match winning gun away from the next level (the tragedy of Jesse W Smith).

Scott's a bulls**t artist snake oil salesmen who got his media mates onside creating Brand Scott narratives.

Hinkley the same. Why your premiership ruckman in the twos? Why your gun defender in the twos? Why no tag on Cunnington when the last four or five weeks he's been taken from All Australian form only by close, hard all day tags from the likes of Clarke, Steele and co?

Hinkley.

Wuuuh???!? Ollie Wines is not a gun. He is ******* terrible. He SHOULD be a gun. You seem to be judging things through the Pro-Hinkley-lens while simultaneously potting him. It makes no sense!

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
It’s not the thread for it but Cunnington is a flat out gun.

I suspect because no one watches North games and he doesn’t score fantasy hundreds every week he is criminally underrated.

Cunnington is a great player. Wines should at least be his equal. The basic point is as follows;

Brad Scott: good coach and good developer of young talent

Ken Hinkley: terrible coach and list-murderer

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
"Lighten up and turn up" sounds a bit threatening Baz. Whatever you say m8 but we've got a right to get it wrong.
If we want to vote with our feet we'll do it with your blessings or not. Next week's crowd will be interesting.
As a club we serve up sh*t sandwiches with lotsa mayo and wonder why we get asked Q's.

Eric Blair

All Australian
Aug 31, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Torino
As for the Captains themselves, they aren’t even qualified to lead an Italian tank division, let alone a footy club.

Agree with everything except this, an undertrained understaffed under equipped poorly commanded army fighting for a horrible cause showed more courage than this mob.

Also some Italian tank divisions are good at defence at the very least😉

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Haha sorry for winding you up
That's cool brother. Somedays I'm a lot easier to wind up than others - depends how sore my knees are. The old timers at the club I was at when I was a young fella use to complain about sore knees, ankles and the likes and me and my teammates use to have a bit of a giggle. I don't giggle any more.

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Haven't read all posts on here, so possibly already discussed however:

In the first quarter, Gray took a mark just inside 50. The north player stood the mark outside the 50, and the umpire ran up about 4 meters behind him and said here is the mark. The north player didn't move. Why wasn't a 50m penalty paid?

ctpower

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Ollie Wines, for instance, would have gone well-past the likes of Cunnington and Ziebell several years ago if he was at any other club. That’s sorta the crux of the issue.
I think there’s some truth in that but I also think that lets Ollie wines off the hook a bit.
His performance last night lacked effort.

Amazing what can be achieved when a finals spot is up for grabs.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 5.38.59 pm.png

Ahh, maybe not.

Miss December

Debutant
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hinkley press conference as shown on 7

Performance so far from what we've been

Don't overreact

Everything went wrong that could

North better at every part.of the game

We are way better than that

Turn around and bounce back

Inconsistent when poor around the contest

Keep working hard

Be clear on the detail and be better

So bad we have to own it
D overreact, just sack him now.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This had to be the worst loss in our AFL era.

Not even a good opponent. Even if we lost, for finals sake it would've been okay, but no we stuffed the losing part too by getting absolutely rolled and dropping the percentage significantly

This is why we should be rejoicing in talk of Wines wanting a trade. Someone will pay way over what he’s actually worth.

He’s so far from being a gun it isn’t fun.

He's not in great form at the moment but I don't believe he's lost what made him look great a few years back. He could be very very good again for Port but not under Hinkley imo.

Again, on your board so aware of the sensitivities, but I can think of one bloke straight off who looked great in a Port jumper a few years back, then lost form and confidence under Ken, but has absolutely thrived at a new club this year.

LukeSA

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well, no need to have the seeing prowess of Nostradamus to see that coming.

Went to a mates house for a few beers and a bonfire, turned the game on, see Brown get a free out in front for a regulation bump and not too long after another roos goal from a dubious 50m and then we turned that s**t off and tuned into the cricket. :rolleyes:

Again, on your board so aware of the sensitivities, but I can think of one bloke straight off who looked great in a Port jumper a few years back, then lost form and confidence under Ken, but has absolutely thrived at a new club this year.

You don't need to be aware of our sensitivities, 90% of this board knows exactly how dumb trading Wingard was.

Even old mate Jasper has been more than serviceable for your mob this year after looking like the spuddiest spud who ever spudded in 2018.

yeswecan1

Senior List
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No it doesn't count and that example makes no sense at all, unless you secretly think Ken is a supercoach and plan to release this opinion the day the broken clock is right and we fluke making finals.

DBJ has been unanimously considered to have had a stellar season, you've had all year to share this opinion yet wait for his first s**tful game to squeak out "I knew it!"

Just accept it was a weak as piss call so we can all move on and wallow in our shared misery.
Everyone accepted Pittard had a stellar season when he made all Australian. Trouble is it was one good season out or many average seasons and when we where offered a top 10 pick for him everyone said oh no he’s to good to trade. He and others are overrated. Stick with these ave players we will be average and we are.
No it doesn't count and that example makes no sense at all, unless you secretly think Ken is a supercoach and plan to release this opinion the day the broken clock is right and we fluke making finals.

DBJ has been unanimously considered to have had a stellar season, you've had all year to share this opinion yet wait for his first s**tful game to squeak out "I knew it!"

Just accept it was a weak as piss call so we can all move on and wallow in our shared misery.
you don’t make any sense. You know the team performance is poor but you think none of the players are. Dbj is overrated. Same as pittard, lobby Cam O’Shea and list goes on. Should have traded all when they all had 1 odd good year and people thought the sun shone out their u know what. Amon will be the same as pittard plays his best season when contract renewal comes up.

Back