Autopsy Round 22, 2021 | Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't watch the game live. Just watching the replay now and in the 2nd quarter feels like we got shafted by the umpires.
Watching GR’s goals video and there was at least 2-3 commentator comments that said Larkey should have got a free there.

Watching GR’s goals video and there was at least 2-3 commentator comments that said Larkey should have got a free there.
There were a few occasions, two in particular that I thought were a bit rude, but if we're being honest they dismantled us in the first half. We got our act together in the second half, but the damage was done.

There were a few occasions, two in particular that I thought were a bit rude, but if we're being honest they dismantled us in the first half. We got our act together in the second half, but the damage was done.
Ray did ruin a grandstand finish though. Even Swans fans said the same on the MB.

I don't want mid table. I want top 4 and finals.

Rebuilding and potential can be (and are often) used as excuses for underperforming, and we had plenty of underperforming under Scotts.

As you said, we have the talent, we have the plan. So why do so many feel the need to celebrate us coming last?
Okay...

Firstly I'm not celebrating. Secondly i'm not particularly upset about finishing last right now. I've been aware that is where we'll end up for a while and had no real expectations after rounds 3 - 5 somewhere. I'm not wasting energy now over something beyond my control after coming to terms with it months ago.

But ever since I joined people have been calling for us to bottom out properly. Ie before that massive winning period between 2015/16. And to play the kids. Even when we didn't really have any.

So now we have bottomed out and we've come up with some pretty good picks by the looks of things, even without including this years national draft. Furthermore we have a good coach who seems to have a plan and is in control of the situation. Ie He understands the game and can respond to its demands on a coach. And our kids (up/including Buckets McKay who was a kid when these calls started and is still young) are really playing well.

So its not so much about where we are on the ladder as where we are along the journey to a better side. IMO. And that is strengthened by the fact that the kids are playing well and the plan they've called for forever is coming together.

I don't think people are celebrating us coming last, they are celebrating the fact we taking a path they've wanted to see for years. Its not the same thing. There might be a bit of "the year we finally bottom out we might end up with the best draftee in a decade" going on as well but its not what they are happy about. If you compare where we are now (with a game to go) to r 17 last year we are in a much better place and well along the way back to being a decent (ie top 4) side. We've gone back and rebuilt or are rebuilding properly, not just the on field side but off field all the way to the admin.

IMO as I said.

We may have bottomed out at the best possible time too, enabling us to pick up some top quality draft talent over the last two seasons.

It should go without saying that I want flags... But top 4 (I guess not so much these days) and finals are obviously pre-requisites for winning flags.

I've seen this story play out before. Battling team with some promising kids has a few morale building wins towards the end of the season or generally shows some decent form, the expectation and hype builds, only for them to remain battlers the next season.
For some it seems a foregone conclusion that wont happen because it's 'different' for us. Perhaps they are right, but I just think we still have a lot of work to do to get there.
Undeniably but this is the first time in a long time that it seems the coach and the players get this and are committed to the journey.

It was the year we needed to have unfortunately, our list was a mess, we debuted Powell, Phillips, Ford, the speed wagon Lazzaro & Comben.
You remember when the media said we wouldn't have enough players to fill our list? THen we went out and grabbed Young, Corr, Stephenson and Atu all for not much.

Managed to get a lot of games into Taylor, TT, McKay, LDU, Scott, Mahony, Larkey & Zurhaar so much so that we'll have a fair few aover the 50 plus games mark next season.

Also got Edwards and yes for mine our year I'll give it a 9/10. It was after all a rebuilding year. Next year is a different matter and I expect we will see a better balanced side with the intent on winning.

No more of Tarrant, Walker & McKay in the backline- ridiculous. Also Perez will be back and he can play. Ditto Corr.
Lazz R O Speed wagon?!

Mate this lockdown is messing with you isn't it.

right now as we sit here today ironically with the 2021 wooden spoon and not even thinking of the list we will have in 2022.
Without being too biased , Although it will never ever show on this years ladder but I Honestly reckon we are ahead of Adelaide, Collingwood, GC, Hawks Carlton & Freo.
With our form after the bye and with Ben10 in the team we would be level pegging with the Saints , * , Tigers & WC.
That pretty much puts us fighting for the 8 next season. Promising signs ahead.
Freo could still playfinals, Saints and Tigers are s**t.

Realistically this year there is a clear top, middle and bottom six. If our improvement trajectory continues as it has this year we should be in that middle six next year (if we get some stability.)

This is untrue. Most of Jeds possessions he gets because he is so hard at it. Other players would not even get possession to be able to dispose of it either well or badly.
Not just that. Some of them are bullshit good. A few times he got the ball yesterday and I was thinking to myself "did he just do that?"

How good is this photo!

nsqyHLAN.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back