Autopsy Round 22, 2021 | Autopsy vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Great fight back but if we're being really honest the Swans are a far superior side to us at this stage as they missed a lot of chances and had a lot of good players out and their young kids are great kicks of the footy and apply elite pressure.
Also our senior players try their guts out but aren't really of the same quality as Heeney, Papley and Parker etc. Swans are probably a top 4 side next year.
We will most likely be a 6-8 win bottom 6 team but not unexpected given we have to keep adding young talent and that means inconsistency will follow.
Also our defensive pressure is the worst in the comp, in some part due to young guys not quite being fit enough and having to learn and apply those habits every week but a massive preseason could improve these areas. A guy like Phoenix might also help as well.
One thing is clear that the players will know what areas they need to get better at and will be encourage and challenged by the coaching staff.
You can see the young guys taking steps forward and are often not the ones making costly errors that cost goals and are often involved in our chains of possession that create most of our scoring opportunities. Exciting times ahead watching these young guys develop.

I hope Bonar causes you many burst blood vessels by constantly being picked.
Banter aside .... I actually don't mind Bonar. I'm not going to write off a player so quick who is under 21-22 years of age who's only played 20 odd games.
Truth of the matter is whether it be by a run of injuries (although at times unlucky) . You got to admit he has had a few , bad luck , wrongly positioned by our coaches , bad form etc. Out of those 20 odd games (what is it ? lets be real here 3-4 games ?) where he has actually really shown something and would warrant him being ahead of others in our team ? I'm still perplexed how / why Atu got dropped and is not playing in Bonar's position ? I actually think Bonar was selected too premature after his latest injury set back. VFL is not playing at the moment so its difficult ( I get it) but its not like we were desperate for someone in that position.
We have a very fit P Walker who deserves a chance soon , Atu & even Young (medical sub yesterday) who would be ok to be played there. Bonar has proven before that it takes him a while to get match fitness after injury. So why expose him directly in the AFL after 1-2 VFL games ? and vs teams like the Tigers and Swans ? This not fair on him at all.
BS aside . I actually hope Bonar makes it.
For me , once Flynn & Corr get back along the with the players I previously mentioned . Bonar is depth. Good depth mind you. Pressure for spots is what makes Premiership teams successful.
Lastly as for me being clueless? Franky Thing , Thring whoever you are ... what can I say ? I better not dig up some of the vomit you have posted previously here on BF cos it isn't going to be pretty.
Love you too Franky . :)

It's not the spoon itself Gaso, it's the celebration of it that is grinding my gears.
There's optimism that all our kids will make it and our team will become great, but there is no guarantee.
We've had 7 wins in our last 39 games and I'm ******* sick of it. I was 4 years old when we won our last flag so have only vague memories, and I don't want to turn into another Melbourne or St Kilda.

I think you mean Carltank

Could not ask for more then that. Seriously, the perfect result.

Positives:
- Jy, LDU & TT lifted in the second half & things completely changed. They’re all just so consistent
- The Souv Zur combo just keeps improving.
- Eddie Ford, 2 goals 3 goal assists 8 score involvements.
- Comben competed very well and what a way to finish.
- Curtis Taylor has put together a really strong couple months, excellent tonight.
- Will Phillips’ kicking into the forward line is incredible.

Negatives:
- Let down by our leaders at some pretty critical times by horrendous ball use.
- The joeys are tiring.

As I said… 14 point loss is the possible result.

We honestly don’t make enough of Philips and his kicks inside 50, feels like every time he does this it ends in a mark and scoring opportunity.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Banter aside .... I actually don't mind Bonar. I'm not going to write off a player so quick who is under 21-22 years of age who's only played 20 odd games.
Truth of the matter is whether it be by a run of injuries (although at times unlucky) . You got to admit he has had a few , bad luck , wrongly positioned by our coaches , bad form etc. Out of those 20 odd games (what is it ? lets be real here 3-4 games ?) where he has actually really shown something and would warrant him being ahead of others in our team ? I'm still perplexed how / why Atu got dropped and is not playing in Bonar's position ? I actually think Bonar was selected too premature after his latest injury set back. VFL is not playing at the moment so its difficult ( I get it) but its not like we were desperate for someone in that position.
We have a very fit P Walker who deserves a chance soon , Atu & even Young (medical sub yesterday) who would be ok to be played there. Bonar has proven before that it takes him a while to get match fitness after injury. So why expose him directly in the AFL after 1-2 VFL games ? and vs teams like the Tigers and Swans ? This not fair on him at all.
BS aside . I actually hope Bonar makes it.
For me , once Flynn & Corr get back along the with the players I previously mentioned . Bonar is depth. Good depth mind you. Pressure for spots is what makes Premiership teams successful.
Lastly as for me being clueless? Franky Thing , Thring whoever you are ... what can I say ? I better not dig up some of the vomit you have posted previously here on BF cos it isn't going to be pretty.
Love you too Franky . :)

Go ahead and post and stop talking s**t

What I 'require' is for my football team to not be sh*t. I just honestly don't understand how anyone (despite our minor improvement) can look at these results and say "yep I'm happy with this". I know where we are at, I've come to terms with it despite hoping otherwise. But the cognitive dissonance of some on here that can see us finish dead last but at the same time have this notion that we are somehow better than we actually are is just baffling.

Two teams who followed similar paths are Melbourne and Brisbane, look where they are now.

Two teams who threw bag s of money and took anyone who’d join them, St Kilda and Carlton.

I’m happy where we re headed.

We beat the Eagles at home (something even the Tiges couldnt do with Martin playing).

Beat Carltank convincingly.

Beat Hawthorn with a miraculous comeback.

Served it up to Geelong twice.

Competed well against top 4 sides fundamentally more superior on paper until the final siren. In some games, leading them in stats and on scoreboard.

Besides the early horror, we've been a more formidable opponent trusting our own style and being more adventurous with ball in hand.

The excitement alone from the younger guys very much suggests we are on the right track.

Brisbane just belted Collingwood and Carltank just got done too.

Next year will be interesting.
right now as we sit here today ironically with the 2021 wooden spoon and not even thinking of the list we will have in 2022.
Without being too biased , Although it will never ever show on this years ladder but I Honestly reckon we are ahead of Adelaide, Collingwood, GC, Hawks Carlton & Freo.
With our form after the bye and with Ben10 in the team we would be level pegging with the Saints , * , Tigers & WC.
That pretty much puts us fighting for the 8 next season. Promising signs ahead.

He is so good at this. Firm, measured, thoughtful, honest, encouraging about the new players in specific comments, not generalisations, everything I want to see. And the way he answers the Cunners question talking about the relief for Ben’s family first, not the football side, and then raising Sam Docherty, shows such sound perspective.

Might be my imagination but have the questions become more knowledgable?

What I 'require' is for my football team to not be sh*t. I just honestly don't understand how anyone (despite our minor improvement) can look at these results and say "yep I'm happy with this". I know where we are at, I've come to terms with it despite hoping otherwise. But the cognitive dissonance of some on here that can see us finish dead last but at the same time have this notion that we are somehow better than we actually are is just baffling.

Our improvement isn't minor.

We've instituted an almost completely different style of play and the players now in game will switch to it.

Our running patterns have gotten better.

There are still a lot of gaps but we are now able to win the ball through the middle for decent stretches in games without Cunnington out there. This will get better again next year.

We have 2 forwards who on multiple occasions have kicked bag and they've played less than a collective 100 Games. They will both be long term players.

We've had a key back turn himself into a lock this year.

Our system of play is more complex and less predictable than crack in hard and win it, skirt the boundary with it.

This was a year of pain. We have almost all new coaches, a new style and plan which is very different to what we've had before and we've had some kids emerge.

I know I am rationalising, but if I was asked to choose who I wanted to be, us with the foundation we have, or Carlton and the predicament they're in, the answer is clear.

So winning the spoon is s**t. I'm older than you and this is the first and hopefully only I ever experience. A dose of medicine you don't need to like but hopefully don't need again for at least another 50 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry to say but as a team we have gone past having Jed spend time in the middle. The bloke is a warrior and a great competitor, but lacks that polish to be playing too many minutes in there.

We looked so much better after half time when Noble was rotating Simpkin, LDU, TT and Phillips.

Unfortunate, but this is pretty clear to see. Our game now relies on link up and clean disposal…any top side does really.

If he can play to his limitations he could be a real asset, but he and Dumont, too many times get the footy in hand, panic and bang the ball on the boot. Mcdonald and even Ziebell do this at times when the side is struggling, but I’ve seen enough from those two to suggest they are coming around to the game plan.

Those hack kicks, burning multiple handball options just kills our system of play and halts momentum like no end. It basically gives the footy back to the opposition who set up well behind the ball.

When the players you mentioned started linking up together and got their hands on the footy we just looked a totally different side.

He is so good at this. Firm, measured, thoughtful, honest, encouraging about the new players in specific comments, not generalisations, everything I want to see. And the way he answers the Cunners question talking about the relief for Ben’s family first, not the football side, and then raising Sam Docherty, shows such sound perspective.

Might be my imagination but have the questions become more knowledgable?
IMO it's a by-product of addressing the journos by name and making them more accountable to their own questions.

It's not the spoon itself Gaso, it's the celebration of it that is grinding my gears.
There's optimism that all our kids will make it and our team will become great, but there is no guarantee.
We've had 7 wins in our last 39 games and I'm ******* sick of it. I was 4 years old when we won our last flag so have only vague memories, and I don't want to turn into another Melbourne or St Kilda.
I don’t like the celebration of it either - but clearly that doesn’t reflect anyone’s thinking at the club, which is all that matters.

I’ve always said that a season doesn’t need to end in a flag to have been successful and enjoyable for me - similarly, the first wooden spoon I’ve ever seen doesn’t mean I’ll remember 2021 as a failed season. The win over West Coast in particular has already joined the list of my favourite days watching North Melbourne, and the Carlton game not far behind.

It's not a fan boy site.
Some of the first half criticism were beyond deplorable and completely irrational.
I just think it comes from a lack of understanding of footy.

An opposition team comes out applying max pressure, and blocks our preferred Avenue through the corridor.

Well , * me, but your gonna fumble, make poor decisions under pressure and turn it over.
It's not the fault of any individual player.

Guess what, we turned it around at half time and had the game on our terms.

Almost snagged a win.

Didn’t realise this was a fanboi site. Honest opinion should be welcomed, I’d have thought. Or do you imagine we should all be lining up to applaud every player in a team that’s won our first wooden spoon in 50 years? Clearly there’s some major deficiencies in the line-up - and I’ve no problem with posters pointing them out.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Makes me question footywire.

It’s our understanding of an effective kick,what we consider an effective kick and what they do is totally different.

It’s why the big footy eye test is king.

Kicks from a position of strength, ie: in space and time should not be considered effective unless they hit the teammate and you retain the ball. However, as we’ve known for 9 years, an effective kick is counted if that ball is kicked to a contest.

Seriously, it’s the most absurd stat in football.

Last edited:
Great fight back but if we're being really honest the Swans are a far superior side to us at this stage as they missed a lot of chances and had a lot of good players out and their young kids are great kicks of the footy and apply elite pressure.
Also our senior players try their guts out but aren't really of the same quality as Heeney, Papley and Parker etc. Swans are probably a top 4 side next year.
We will most likely be a 6-8 win bottom 6 team but not unexpected given we have to keep adding young talent and that means inconsistency will follow.
Also our defensive pressure is the worst in the comp, in some part due to young guys not quite being fit enough and having to learn and apply those habits every week but a massive preseason could improve these areas. A guy like Phoenix might also help as well.
One thing is clear that the players will know what areas they need to get better at and will be encourage and challenged by the coaching staff.
You can see the young guys taking steps forward and are often not the ones making costly errors that cost goals and are often involved in our chains of possession that create most of our scoring opportunities. Exciting times ahead watching these young guys develop.

Great post Chubbs

It was the year we needed to have unfortunately, our list was a mess, we debuted Powell, Phillips, Ford, the speed wagon Lazzaro & Comben.
You remember when the media said we wouldn't have enough players to fill our list? THen we went out and grabbed Young, Corr, Stephenson and Atu all for not much.

Managed to get a lot of games into Taylor, TT, McKay, LDU, Scott, Mahony, Larkey & Zurhaar so much so that we'll have a fair few aover the 50 plus games mark next season.

Also got Edwards and yes for mine our year I'll give it a 9/10. It was after all a rebuilding year. Next year is a different matter and I expect we will see a better balanced side with the intent on winning.

No more of Tarrant, Walker & McKay in the backline- ridiculous. Also Perez will be back and he can play. Ditto Corr.

If the tree keeps shaking at the Blues as they chase Cerra, I wonder if someone like Dow can become this year’s Jayden Stephenson?

Last edited:
That's not rationalising, that's the truth. You'd have to be footy illiterate to dispute what your saying.
Our improvement isn't minor.

We've instituted an almost completely different style of play and the players now in game will switch to it.

Our running patterns have gotten better.

There are still a lot of gaps but we are now able to win the ball through the middle for decent stretches in games without Cunnington out there. This will get better again next year.

We have 2 forwards who on multiple occasions have kicked bag and they've played less than a collective 100 Games. They will both be long term players.

We've had a key back turn himself into a lock this year.

Our system of play is more complex and less predictable than crack in hard and win it, skirt the boundary with it.

This was a year of pain. We have almost all new coaches, a new style and plan which is very different to what we've had before and we've had some kids emerge.

I know I am rationalising, but if I was asked to choose who I wanted to be, us with the foundation we have, or Carlton and the predicament they're in, the answer is clear.

So winning the spoon is sh*t. I'm older than you and this is the first and hopefully only I ever experience. A dose of medicine you don't need to like but hopefully don't need again for at least another 50 years.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pintado Rojo y blanco!!! Ohhhh mi corazon, Que Algegria…. Que Algeria Ole Ole Ola!!!

Vamos Swanies de mi vida!

I have no idea what you are talking about….

Anyway mate, open your eyes, how we differ from them is really simple Melbourne & Carlton didn’t pick correctly.

So far so good;

Larkey, Zurhaar, Comben & Ford. @ average pick ~60

Simpkin, Thomas, LDU, Stephenson, Powell, Phillips & Horne versus whoever the * they please?

We are doing everything better than they did in terms of picks and we have Goldy, Taz, Cunners and Ziebs as mentors. Which is far better than either of these two teams possessed at the time.

Comparing us with them is disingenuous, Melbourne had a % of 40 for starters.

The big difference this year is that Every one we have tried, of the Youngsters crew, has shown something

would not surprise me to see Lazarro carve out a spot tho it is hard to see where he fits just at the moment

Love your anger & passion Dr Z.

I think for those of us that were there during the 90s and 70s, we experience this differently.

Hope & belief mean diddly squat, see Carltank, when you need wins, top 4 finishes & a genuine shot at a flag.

For the newer breed of Shinboners, like you Dr Z, flag no.5 will have been a long time coming. May it be soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back