Review Round 22, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes and then we saw what it looked like without dizzy and Marcus. Pretty terrible!
It is ironic isn't it though that over the years when star players from any club are out for extended periods the team can often play better. Others step up.

Clarkson had no problem letting Buddy go and after that they seemed to kick a lot straighter for nearly a decade.

Many scribes said the Tigers couldn't possibly win another flag when Rance walked out. They got better.

Ablett at Geelong.

Just off the top of my head.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is ironic isn't it though that over the years when star players from any club are out for extended periods the team can often play better. Others step up.

Clarkson had no problem letting Buddy go and after that they seemed to kick a lot straighter for nearly a decade.

Many scribes said the Tigers couldn't possibly win another flag when Rance walked out. They got better.

Ablett at Geelong.

Just off the top of my head.
I've got this theory that's just my personal observation ,and it's hard to measure, that it's your worst 6 players that determine how successful you are on a given day ,not your best 6.

Every team has good players now, lots of teams have a few champion players. The good players play well most weeks, it's an even match there amongst the better sides . But it's really how effective/ineffective your footsoldiers are that bring about consistent success.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Every time a player comes back from a lengthy injury, it seems that there is inevitably disappointment and criticism about how the player has performed first up. Or second up.

A few here were on J Berry's back since he came back into the side, forgetting what a valuable contributor he's been when fit and firing. Last night he was good, without being back to his best.

Also some pretty unfair comments about Lachie over the year in a season where he has had multiple injury issues.

Gardiner is easily best 22 but also seems to have come in for some criticism for making poor decisions and numerous mistakes. TBH, I thought he was OK. I'll have to have a look at a replay but from memory, I can't remember any absolute howlers that cost us on the scoreboard. Unlike Andrews, who had two terrible skill errors that cost two goals,

People sometimes have short memories about how well returning players perform when they are truly match fit.

If we are playing our best 22 coming into finals , we have to accept that it's going to take a match or two to bring them up to scratch when they come back into the side
I thought Neal look the sharpest he has for a while. Still a way to go but promising.

MRO didn't even comment on Lachie's high hit. Good decision - as the commentators went through at the time, there was no decision to bump.

Mihocek gets a week for running past the ball and bumping Fullarton.
I think you mean Lincoln?:)

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gardiner would be in my first 6 players picked every week. Watch the work he does live at a match. Any opponent that plays on him knows they're in for a torrid day. He is exactly what I want from my defenders.

I was at Ballarat this year when we played the Dogs and it was Darcy's first game of the year. He was superb and was probably our best player at HT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gardiner would be in my first 6 players picked every week. Watch the work he does live at a match. Any opponent that plays on him knows they're in for a torrid day. He is exactly what I want from my defenders.

I was at Ballarat this year when we played the Dogs and it was Darcy's first game of the year. He was superb and was probably our best player at HT.

Been said before but Tom Boyd rated Gardiner as his toughest opponent in the juniors and IIRC was the best defender from his draft year

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Been said before but Tom Boyd rated Gardiner as his toughest opponent in the juniors and IIRC was the best defender from his draft year
When Gardiner is playing as a one on one, man marking defender, he does really well. But the problem I have with Gardiner is that he gives away two or three stupid free kicks in the defensive 50 most games, often resulting in an opposition goal/s.

Also, when playing our defensive zone, both Andrews and Gardiner often lose their direct opponent, especially when they are watching the ball and looking for an intercept mark, they are either to slow to recover and close the distance, especially Andrews, which often ends up with their opponent taking an uncontested mark and shot for goal.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When Gardiner is playing as a one on one, man marking defender, he does really well. But the problem I have with Gardiner is that he gives away two or three stupid free kicks in the defensive 50 most games, often resulting in an opposition goal/s.

Also, when playing our defensive zone, both Andrews and Gardiner often lose their direct opponent, especially when they are watching the ball and looking for an intercept mark, they are either to slow to recover and close the distance, especially Andrews, which often ends up with their opponent taking an uncontested mark and shot for goal.

Darcy averages slightly over 1 free against for the past 3 seasons. 1.2 frees against over his career. About the same as Alex Rance

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I've noticed that with Andrews increasingly the last year or two . It's part of the package if you want him to intercept mark and spoil the way he does on most occasions.

When Adams was playing well it took a lot of the pressure off him . Likewise we'd be hoping Payne could take part of his role.

Gardiner tends to scrag his opponents so he's always going to give one up every now and then. The ones that send me bananas are when you scrag or pull your opponent's arm when they had no hope of marking the ball anyway.

I think you are thinking of the Darcy Gardiner from 3,4 and 5 years ago.
He has cleaned that up the last couple of years.

Bloody hell Darc is getting worse, trade bait?
I know what you mean. This will also be the first year since about 2016 that he hasn't been top 10 in the B&F. Clearly a player on the slide.

Back