Preview Round 22, 2021: Hawthorn v Bulldogs, Saturday 14th at 1.45pm @ UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe... with Demons and Geelong dominating the air in defense, Beveridge has decided that to beat them in finals he needs to grubber / mongrel the ball into the forward line. Hawthorn might be a practicing ground with the Bulldogs making a strategic play on how to beat their September rivals. So maybe we'll see mongrel ground balls coming into our defense as we are the "guinea pigs" for the Bulldogs long term plan?

... or maybe it has something to do with Bruce out and Ugle-Hagan "managed" (read "not quite up to it of late") and a not so tall forward line.

I like the first theory. ;)
Astute observation. 👌

Is this a farewell match in front of a crowd for Burgoyne? I can't see any other reason why he would be playing over some kids who could use the opportunity.

I still just enjoy watching Burgoyne play. Of course, he isn't at his best any more but I'm just savouring watching an absolute legend of the club and the game play out his final season. If the cost is that some kid who may not even play 20 games for the club doesn't get a go in a few games that don't even really matter then so be it.

I still just enjoy watching Burgoyne play. Of course, he isn't at his best any more but I'm just savouring watching an absolute legend of the club and the game play out his final season. If the cost is that some kid who may not even play 20 games for the club doesn't get a go in a few games that don't even really matter then so be it.
The benefit of having burgyone out there for any game, is his help with the kids in defense is worth 5 games in experience to them everytime he can play with them. We are missing a burgyone in the forward line (Gunston)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if that mentality was taken into the final rounds of last season and Dylan Moore didn't get his career saving game against Gold Coast in round 23.

Is this a farewell match in front of a crowd for Burgoyne? I can't see any other reason why he would be playing over some kids who could use the opportunity.
Yep.

I for one will be going up for the game and the chance to see Burgers play in person for the last time, is one of the biggest reason I will travelling.

As others have said getting him to 250 Hawk games would be the go.

I don't mind if Downie is sub again. Not like he'd be missing out on VFL game time this round. If there's a problem with 'ruining' his debut, it's already happened.

Still think Morris or Duke are more likely. Just rewarding Downie's better form by getting his name there.

Imagine if that mentality was taken into the final rounds of last season and Dylan Moore didn't get his career saving game against Gold Coast in round 23.

this is a valid argument but i don't really think there's actually anyone really in that position that would take Burgoyne's spot

i guess possibly Finn who's been playing off the HBF a bit? But you'd imagine he will get another contract. Morris is contracted, Pep is a Cat B so we can retain him for free, Hartley is likely gone, and i can't think of anyone else.

Nobody has really been bashing down the door at BH other than Ollie and Nash, and both of them are now getting a shot in the seniors. Downie has had an uptick in form and I reckon he'll get a proper debut this week or next, but not at the expense of Burgoyne

Maybe... with Demons and Geelong dominating the air in defense, Beveridge has decided that to beat them in finals he needs to grubber / mongrel the ball into the forward line. Hawthorn might be a practicing ground with the Bulldogs making a strategic play on how to beat their September rivals. So maybe we'll see mongrel ground balls coming into our defense as we are the "guinea pigs" for the Bulldogs long term plan?
I thought retro round was last week 🤷‍♂️

this is a valid argument but i don't really think there's actually anyone really in that position that would take Burgoyne's spot

i guess possibly Finn who's been playing off the HBF a bit? But you'd imagine he will get another contract. Morris is contracted, Pep is a Cat B so we can retain him for free, Hartley is likely gone, and i can't think of anyone else.

Nobody has really been bashing down the door at BH other than Ollie and Nash, and both of them are now getting a shot in the seniors. Downie has had an uptick in form and I reckon he'll get a proper debut this week or next, but not at the expense of Burgoyne
Burgoyne has played in every win / draw this year - our backline looks considerably better with him in it. As promising as our backline is talent wise, who's the leader, who's the marshall? It's burgoyne. That's why he is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back