Autopsy Round 22, 2022: Richmond roast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed with a couple of Scrim's defensive efforts, particularly the one where Cumberland marked deep fwd pocket City end , he had no awareness whatsoever.

DGB needs more time. .I would have more faith in him than Scrim defensively.

Jeka has some wow factor.

Having said that, we should shuffle magnets around this week as nothing to lose something to see FFS

HF: DGB Jeka Scrim

DBG is still 10/15kgs away from being the player we drafted him to be. His listed weight this season is 85kg (seems generous to me) and was supposedly 81kgs when we picked him up

Some of the KPD weights at 195ish cms are:

Sam Collins - 98kgs
Weitering - 101kgs
McCartin - 100kgs
Logue - 95kgs

Some of the taller KPD's in Andrews, Moore are 100kgs+

Look at how Mitch Lewis went until that famous offseason. The bulking up of most young lads that size will be minimal until they are 22/23.

Albeit has a naturally slimmer build than those listed above he's just physically limited in what he can do at the moment. I'm reserving judgement until he's 23 or 24 anyway because that will be when we should start to challenge a bit again. Until then anything good is a bonus

I know it's the old addage/cliche blah blah but these players take time - see Fogarty this year, Weitering last year. They were written off a few years ago

DBG is still 10/15kgs away from being the player we drafted him to be. His listed weight this season is 85kg (seems generous to me) and was supposedly 81kgs when we picked him up

Sam Collins - 98kgs
Weitering - 101kgs
McCartin - 100kgs
Logue - 95kgs

Look at how Mitch Lewis went until that famous offseason. The bulking up of most young lads that size will be minimal until they are 22/23.

Albeit has a naturally slimmer build than those listed above he's just physically limited in what he can do at the moment. I'm reserving judgement until he's 23 or 24 anyway because that will be when we should start to challenge a bit again. Until then anything good is a bonus

I know it's the old addage/cliche blah blah but these players take time - see Fogarty this year, Weitering last year. They were written off a few years ago
Well said. I'm of the same view.

For me, the elite players always show a glimpse of something special early on, be it a kick, they way the move, a great mark etc. I thought DGB showed some of those traits in his first game last year (a few marks and desperate spoils). Unfortunately, I don’t think I have seen those same glimpses this year, but I’m hoping like hell they return in 2023.

HFor me, the elite players always show a glimpse of something special early on, be it a kick, they way the move, a great mark etc. I thought DGB showed some of those traits in his first game last year (a few marks and desperate spoils). Unfortunately, I don’t think I have seen those same glimpses this year, but I’m hoping like hell they return in 2023.
His character is terrific. Not one to drop his head in adversity. It's one of the best qualities you can have..

A good test is how you feel when a player has the ball in his hands and am pretty comfortable with Denver.

DGB, Blanck & Jeka are rippers! Great to see them being thrown into the deep end. Fight your way out of it, didn't hide in their shells.

Who wants to be a defender at the Hawks, when the ball is coming down like that?

21-6 inside 50s, in the 1st quarter.

If only we had a brownlow medallist and vice captain to show ANY form of leadership.

I see some have seen the light with regards to T.Mitchell. Last game for Hawks in Tassie?

I am basing my take on asking the question about him as a defender not so long ago - maybe preseason - and a few respected posters who watch far more training and Box Hill games than I do said he wasn’t fit to play defence at AFL level. Maybe they’re wrong but it stands to reason when two coaches now haven’t played him there for many years.

Yeah I know where the opinion is coming from. He was moved out of the backline because he was struggling.

But maybe now things have changed, he's got over the injury issues and looks like he's in good condition. His injury troubles were an issue that held him back in those years. He didn't have much continuity.

If we are throwing around the magnets then why not give him a go playing in the backline?

I don't think I can wait another 2005 years for him to hit his peak.
Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Always reservations about Harry on this board.

Thought they were laid to bare today unfort. But wasn't alone.

He will be a player that gets overtaken and moved out of the side once we push right up the ladder, IMO. Tidy player that's decent at everything, but we can do better in the long run.

Yeah I know where the opinion is coming from. He was moved out of the backline because he was struggling.

But maybe now things have changed, he's got over the injury issues and looks like he's in good condition. His injury troubles were an issue that held him back in those years. He didn't have much continuity.

If we are throwing around the magnets then why not give him a go playing in the backline?

Fair points - but given that Clarko and Mitchell haven’t sent him there in recent years I can only imagine that the track watchers’ opinion is also shared by the coaching staff.

Tho you have the point. He kicked a fair few goals on Denver and Jeka aswell. The whole back 3 of Denver, Jeka & Blanck were under the pump often. Didn’t think Blanck did much wrong either, he was the only of the three plus Sicily to put body on Lynch to try stop his run and jump. His hands were like glue today however so it didn’t matter. Sicily was good on him when he went back.

The first 15 minutes of the game it was like watching an old Brisbane Bears game at Carrara. We were lucky to not be down 50 at qtr time .

At some point someone will need to stand up to Tom Lynch and whack him across the chops and do a 3-4 game stint as he has pushed and bullied us around for years while we have accepted it .

One across the chops will see that big Pussy cat go missing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will not be popular but I didn't think Mitchell was that bad and people are unfairly harsh on him. If anyone else had the game he had, they would be getting praised. A lot of our players commit regular turnovers but his get illuminates to the nth degree and others just get glossed over. People will not doubt laugh at me but I actually thought one of our better ball users today. That bad turnover on the wing was poor and was focussed on but he hit up targets inside 50 quite well a number of other times when nearly everyone else was just bombing to a Richmond filled pack.

Edit: Just went and checked and yes, Mitchell had the most goal assists and the most score involvements in confirmation of the above. Yet all we hear is what a liability he is with the ball.

Last edited:

Sam Collins - 98kgs
Weitering - 101kgs
McCartin - 100kgs
Logue - 95kgs

Size has nothing to do with picking the ball up off the ground. Composure is what he lacks atm. The size will come but will the composure?

For me, the elite players always show a glimpse of something special early on, be it a kick, they way the move, a great mark etc. I thought DGB showed some of those traits in his first game last year (a few marks and desperate spoils). Unfortunately, I don’t think I have seen those same glimpses this year, but I’m hoping like hell they return in 2023.

Suggest rewatching the Carlton game. Was pretty bloody good when he was given license to attack the footy and the midfield slowed the entries.

FWIW none of the talls from the same draft have exactly set the world on fire. JUH, Thilthorpe and Logan.

They are all babys at this stage of their development.

Jeka looked great.

DGB clearly needs to put on 10kg but I liked his fighting attitude tbh. He got a bath but didn't take it lying down.

Sicily is the next official captain but has been the spiritual captain for a while let's be honest.

IMO it's definitely time to move on the likes of Shiel, Gunston, maybe Breust too. Also don't think much of JOM, Mitchell etc it's kinda pathetic how Newcombe is showing them up but they're supposed to be the stars.

Otherwise it was just a dead rubber for Hawks and for the Tigers it was a chance to cement the finals spot. And that's how it played out!

The first 15 minutes of the game it was like watching an old Brisbane Bears game at Carrara. We were lucky to not be down 50 at qtr time .

At some point someone will need to stand up to Tom Lynch and whack him across the chops and do a 3-4 game stint as he has pushed and bullied us around for years while we have accepted it .

One across the chops will see that big Pussy cat go missing

Sheesh what a disgusting thing to say. Basically go king hit a bloke because he's playing good footy? Attitudes like this definitely belong in the 80's mate.

Jeka looked great.

DGB clearly needs to put on 10kg but I liked his fighting attitude tbh. He got a bath but didn't take it lying down.

Sicily is the next official captain but has been the spiritual captain for a while let's be honest.

IMO it's definitely time to move on the likes of Shiel, Gunston, maybe Breust too. Also don't think much of JOM, Mitchell etc it's kinda pathetic how Newcombe is showing them up but they're supposed to be the stars.

Otherwise it was just a dead rubber for Hawks and for the Tigers it was a chance to cement the finals spot. And that's how it played out!

Sheesh what a disgusting thing to say. Basically go king hit a bloke because he's playing good footy? Attitudes like this definitely belong in the 80's mate.

He has whacked our blokes, pushed, bullied for a number of years while we have taken it.

If you consider it the 80s and disgusting for standing up for yourself and giving one back then bring it on.

Top post. Anyone expecting finals after beating the Gold Coast in Tassie and 3 teams lower than us over the past 4-6 weeks was setting themselves up for a painful reality check. Finals next year certainly isn’t impossible but banking on them is getting way ahead of ourselves.
not expecting finals but expecting better efforts than copping 15 goals to 2 in 2 qtrs

I said in the game day thread, when I was at training about a month ago, Sicily spent a stint training with the mids, so I don’t think was an impulsive experiment. Surely something that they’d wanted to try for a while. I gotta be honest, i didn’t hate it and suspect it’s a lever we might pull for short stints in games moving forward.

Definitely more positive than some about the game. Thought we did a lot of nice things at times and if you take out the 3rd quarter, we actually only the lose the game by a couple of goals. Tigers just have a way of punishing they have the momentum. Particularly a young and inexperienced backline.

All the usual issues are glaringly obvious and not worth stating. But I saw enough from the green shoots to be optimistic.
Finally somebody spells ‘shoots’ correctly

Suggest rewatching the Carlton game. Was pretty bloody good when he was given license to attack the footy and the midfield slowed the entries.

FWIW none of the talls from the same draft have exactly set the world on fire. JUH, Thilthorpe and Logan.

They are all babys at this stage of their development.

He was great throughout the game vs. Carlton. He displayed his strengths, such as intercept marking, vertical leap, agility, etc., against arguably the best key forward combo in the league. At times, his lack of strength was exposed by McKay and Curnow, but he held his own for the majority of the game. I am not worried. Any individual would struggle with the constant bombardment of inside 50s from Richmond.

We have had almost the entire season to figure out a way to minimize scoring when the opposition have the momentum & just have not been successful in coming up with a strategy to slow the game down. (The third quarter was eerily similar to our last quarter against Sydney earlier in the year.) Losing is ok but we were really poor against an inconsistent Richmond team.

Last edited:
DGB, Blanck & Jeka are rippers! Great to see them being thrown into the deep end. Fight your way out of it, didn't hide in their shells.

Who wants to be a defender at the Hawks, when the ball is coming down like that?

21-6 inside 50s, in the 1st quarter.

If only we had a brownlow medallist and vice captain to show ANY form of leadership.

I see some have seen the light with regards to T.Mitchell. Last game for Hawks in Tassie?
Hope so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back