Autopsy Round 22, 2022: Richmond roast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I did too, but I still believe DGB can become one of the best intercepting defenders in the AFL. Key position players and rucks take longer than any other position in the game.
He no key position defender though but granted only played a handful of games. From a supporters point of view we are not seeing the patches/glimpses of what potentially we could see down the track. Fingers crossed he is one those players needs the magical 50 games to come good.

Sicily further up the ground was a success. Should persist.

Day forward afew weeks back was also good.

Kozi forward probably isn‘t the answer - He’s a KPD.

Moore in the middle works.

Jeka hasn’t had a goal kicked on him in 2 and a half games and 140+ inside 50’s - but he‘s a CHF and should be played there.

Pineapple definitely goes on Pizza.

Coach Killer.

yeah agree Kosi was AA fullback as a junior and not sure why we aren’t playing him there - Jeka CHF with Lewis FF but not being i the inner sanctum what do we really know 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

lets not get too dependent. We are developing and have half our side on the injured list. and the tigers are contending.

DGB still shows so much desire and physical effort. He will learn to use that more productively with experience. His confidence is low and is fighting through a tough 2nd year blues period. Blank has played a handful of games as has Jeka and Day still seems unfit.
Serong is an immature body and does not yet belong at the level although shows he will in time and our midfield is relying on a bloke recruited mid last year and one in the 2021 draft.

Richmond had a team full of multi premiership players and much bigger and several years more physical development than us. They beat us up around the stoppages as usual.

Sam threw the magnets around as he is in experimental phase.

I am not worried about our progression and feel we will win a flag before Richmond have another. Glass half full me.

Am glad we've only got one more autopsy game thread for the year..

Always blows my mind that people don't recognise that Mitchell gets held to a higher standard than most given the heights that he had reached earlier and his seniority on our list.

DGB has played bugger all footy and those bemoaning a 20 year old coming up against two in-form senior KPF's (at least one will be a hall of famer) reek- yes Hollands is going to be a star of the game and is in a position to show more positive traits currently, but you'd be hard pressed to find a 20 year old KPD who would look good in our side currently
To put things in perspective, for a large chunk of the game, Reidwolt and Lynch had more games player EACH than our entire backline.

Our midfield was pants again by a significantly more experienced midfield with a far more aggressive ruck. IMO our top three mids today were Newc, Moore and Ward. Thats 28 games, 51 games, and 13 games.

Finn kept the most exciting/arguably most talented player in the league to 13 possessions and one shot on goal. He has started to get media attention, but doesn't get the plaudits he deserves.

Pretty confident in saying that 8 of our 22 had their worst games for the season in this one.

yeah agree Kosi was AA fullback as a junior and not sure why we aren’t playing him there - Jeka CHF with Lewis FF but not being i the inner sanctum what do we really know 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
We don’t need to be in the inner sanctum, it’s all fairly well documented around here. Kosi was barely VFL standard as a backman and may have been delisted had we not being able to salvage something with a move to forward line. As for Jeka, he has regressed significantly as a forward at VFL and has shown significantly more as a defender this year.

Yeh it's funny to me that because Mitchell actually busts his guts out every week he gets hammered because we can all see his flaws (and yes he does have them).

Yet JOM and other senior players like Gunston and Bruest have a habit of totally dropping of the face of the earth some games and nothing is said cause we barely notice they played.

It's always easy to pot the guy doing the heavy lifting, but bugger me at least he is actually having a crack whatever his flaws may be.
Totally agree, TOM wasn’t great today but he does have a crack but our other leaders just don’t show up against good teams often enough. Didn’t expect a win but didn’t expect what was dished up in the 1st and 3rd, most important qtr and they go missing.

We won’t be playing finals until other leadership options are found or out there hands up

For as good as Sicily was, we did see that moving him out of defense shouldn't be in the playbook yet if ever.

Midfield needs the most work, as it has for a couple of years now. This week was a step backwards.

The green shoots are still there, just occasionally hard to tell today.
Was waiting for that from you re Sicily. I hope you directed plenty of heat onto Sam Mitchell when Sic lined up away from the back 6. What an outrageous move. Sam should be banned from coaching for a week.

To call it a failure after 1 game where we were absolutely destroyed at the contest is foolish.

Glad Mitchell has the courage to look at trying things with our side. Sic with the ball of centre looked very dangerous just very disappointing our forward line setup was none existent.

The saving grace from today is the Richmond board convincing themselves they’re the team to beat this September

Well if I’m honest, I hope that’s the case. Anyone but the Cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the lack of patience with our young players is staggering tbh.

Throw DGB in the Cats lineup and everyone would be saying gee how well is this young player going.
Our backline would arguably be one of the tougher gigs in the comp right now.

Tigers best players today imo Lynch, Prestia , Cotchin , Short . Can probably throw . Its simple a too experienced , strong bodied group we cannot compete with yet .......

Totally agree, TOM wasn’t great today but he does have a crack but our other leaders just don’t show up against good teams often enough. Didn’t expect a win but didn’t expect what was dished up in the 1st and 3rd, most important qtr and they go missing.

We won’t be playing finals until other leadership options are found or out there hands up
Couldn't agree more.

There is a reason teams like Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood keep making finals. Mainly that their senior players bring the goods every week.

I reckon I could count on one hand the players on our list that I have faith to bring a baseline level of performance (Mitchell, Sicily, Moore, Newk, Hardwick) the rest is a case of suck it and see on a week by week basis.

The youngsters in the list you cut them some slack but the inconsistency in performance of our senior brigade has been a huge issue for the last five years.

Just because you say DGB has had a disappointing game or year & you hoped for more, does that make you a hater? He was dropped on form & it was questionable as to whether he deserved a recall. They're just facts. He's played 18 games and is 20 y.o. They're also facts. Will he get stronger, smarter or more composed? Who knows? We certainly hope he does. In the interim, I think it's okay to be critical of our no 6 draft pick, other rookies, veterans and coaches. Isn't that why we're here? Difficult to argue against him being underwhelming thus far ... but he is playing in a largely developing team with minimal leadership & a semblance of a game plan.

Couldn't agree more.

There is a reason teams like Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood keep making finals. Mainly that their senior players bring the goods every week.

I reckon I could count on one hand the players on our list that I have faith to bring a baseline level of performance (Mitchell, Sicily, Moore, Newk, Hardwick) the rest is a case of suck it and see on a week by week basis.

The youngsters in the list you cut them some slack but the inconsistency in performance of our senior brigade has been a huge issue for the last five years.
Slight edit, throw in Scrimmers as a player that brings it every week (sorry Jack!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back