Autopsy Round 22, 2022: Richmond roast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously. Outside of two occasions, which were poor I can’t see where his decision making or ball use were poor or even average. There were a few kicks he had which were great. One late to the lead of Gunston, one early to a one on one with Gunston who had his opponent infront and out the back where Mitchell put it exactly where he wanted it.

The only two that were really poor that I remember were the hack kick forward off the boundary when he could’ve squared it in, and the one where he had gone to his right and tried to fend to get back to his left, wrist tackled and HTB.
The thing with Mitchell is that when he has a poor game it is generally because of poor ball use. And so that stands out and he cops it. But even when having a poor game he fronts up to contest after contest. Other players who have poor games just disappear altogether and are unsighted and often fly under the radar when it comes to copping it from fans

I reckon Kosi cops it more than he should similarly. He works his backside off to get to contests and puts in second efforts but is error prone and gets shredded for every error. Other blokes in the side - including senior players - just go missing altogether when they have a dirty day.

Last edited:
Denver is being given an education about being a KP. I'm sure he ends up as a 3rd tall but his grounding is about when he gets shuffled back onto a key tall in a changeover in a contest and has to defend a KP. Start with the part he is worst at.
Just shows you the chasm between the state leagues and the big smoke.

He was lauded in WAFL as the next gun key defender, and right now he is so far off it .
It could take years.
I'm not doubting he's a talent, but this will be a very slow burn.

I reckon Kosi cops it more than he should similarly. He works his backside off to get to contests and puts in second efforts but is error prone and gets shredded for every error. Other blokes in the side - including senior players - just go missing altogether when they have a dirty day.

I really like Kosi’s endeavour and work rate - if he was playing as a midfielder it would be bloody excellent. However work rate isn’t going to save him when his job is to take marks, kicks goals and take focus off of Lewis. If we lose Gunston next season it will be crucial for us to find someone that can be a presence in the forward line and based on his performances this year he can’t deliver that.

What’s everyone worried about, we had Sicily rolling through the midfield today 😂, we get another elite mid - pick 4-6 (we will do well).

The only midfielder we actually had doing anything all day was Jai and Moore coming on in leaps and bounds.

Blanck and Jeka are absolute steals and have cemented our draft and list management strategy even if DGB will take longer to come on.

Butler, MacDonald, brockman, (draft pick) is the forward pressure we were missing today.

The thing with Mitchell is that when he has a poor game it is generally because of poor ball use. And so that stands out and he cops it. But even when having a poor game he fronts up to contest after contest. Other players who have poor games just disappear altogether and are unsighted and often fly under the radar when it comes to copping it from fans

Mitchell can have some poor games and you see his ball use drop. That includes his elite one wood which is handballing and handskills/vision in tight.

Today was not one of those. People just wanna jump on someone, he had again two poor moments very poor. But people will see those and not the good. He went at 80% and had awesome impact both through tackling and scoring involvements and assists.

Jeka looks solid but when he tried to break tackles and step around he was sat on his bum a few times. But for me he showed he has enough in the toolkit to be a good defender in another 2 or 3 seasons. He won't be a key tall will be the 3rd tall.

Just because you say DGB has had a disappointing game or year & you hoped for more, does that make you a hater? He was dropped on form & it was questionable as to whether he deserved a recall. They're just facts. He's played 18 games and is 20 y.o. They're also facts. Will he get stronger, smarter or more composed? Who knows? We certainly hope he does. In the interim, I think it's okay to be critical of our no 6 draft pick, other rookies, veterans and coaches. Isn't that why we're here? Difficult to argue against him being underwhelming thus far ... but he is playing in a largely developing team with minimal leadership & a semblance of a game plan.
This is the best post of the year. Spot the f##k on. I’m so sick of the indignation and patronizing tools who can’t respect people who have a differing view on a player or the state of our rebuild. We get pumped - its all good, we’re rebuilding. DGB gets four goals kicked on him in a quarter - It’s second year blues and he’ll be better when he gets 100 games into him and puts on another 10 kg. Gimme a freakin break. Some of us think he’s crap. We all hope he turns it around. But at present I suspect we, the DGB is presently crap brigade, are the fans with a grasp on reality and the capability of following our side with both eyes open. At worst we just see differently from the Hawks fans who accept 4 straight years of no finals (and 7 years with no finals wins) - with no immediate end of ordinary footy in sight.

Just shows you the chasm between the state leagues and the big smoke.

He was lauded in WAFL as the next gun key defender, and right now he is so far off it .
It could take years.
I'm not doubting he's a talent, but this will be a very slow burn.
He will be given plenty of time. I am not concerned by him getting bullied by Lynch defensively when the ball was pouring in like it was today. The thing that does concern me is that his reported strengths when drafted were his intercept game, positioning and creativity and he just hasn’t shown that at all since being drafted. He doesn’t contribute anything attacking yet. I like his attitude and his aggression and to be fair not many from the “blind” 2020 draft are setting the world on fire

He will be given plenty of time. I am not concerned by him getting bullied by Lynch defensively when the ball was pouring in like it was today. The thing that does concern me is that his reported strengths when drafted were his intercept game, positioning and creativity and he just hasn’t shown that at all since being drafted. He doesn’t contribute anything attacking yet. I like his attitude and his aggression and to be fair not many from the “blind” 2020 draft are setting the world on fire
I'll give DGB the benefit of the doubt for his youth, but there were a few things that have worried me - the brain fades. Like being caught over the ball and making it really easy for an oppo player to drag it in on him and draw a free, that's happened a couple of times now where he had the chance to just knock it out.

Some of us think he’s crap. We all hope he turns it around. But at present I suspect we, the DGB is presently crap brigade, are the fans with a grasp on reality and the capability of following our side with both eyes open.
Don’t make out like having a “we think the 18 gamer is crap” brigade is some sort of balanced viewpoint. It’s just impatience and knee-jerk commentary.

Jeka looks solid but when he tried to break tackles and step around he was sat on his bum a few times. But for me he showed he has enough in the toolkit to be a good defender in another 2 or 3 seasons. He won't be a key tall will be the 3rd tall.
He'll make it now. We just have to re-sign him asap. Other teams will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After dwelling on it a while here are my thoughts. I think i am a little dissapointed and its not totally about the game.

We were physically put to the test. We just didnt handle it. Pushed and shoved off the ball like little boys. Yes we r inexperienced but it was still hard to see.

We probably had a similar work rate to richmond. We ran just at hard yet in a lot of instances they defended the ground so much better.

Our defence was very young. However i am once again dissapointed in Scrim he has had 3 or 4 games now where he has been very poor defensively. Interesting to see him go forward again. If the others in the backline come back i wonder if he moves further up the ground. The others in the backline Blanck had a tough day along with DGB but they were just done in by a very good player. Jeka i think has shown quite a bit i actually think he might make a decent defender. We persist with him down back from now we need more information.

I know we threw quite a few players around and there were some encouraging signs. Sic in the middle adding a new string to his bow. Impey looks lost up forward and i think the season cant end quick enough for him.

Punky had like 3 or 4 shots in that second qtr where he could have put a bit scoreboard pressure back. Gunston and him class acts. Punk could kicked 4. Gunners kicked 3 but was robbed due to free kick and finished with 2. Great for Jai to get his first goal. Thought kosi started pretty well. Took a contested mark as well. I wonder if he had kicked it with two on the board the confidence could have lifted him.

Midfield well i left this for last and for good reason. A lot has already been said in this thread and to be honest this season. JOM didnt do much and Nash found it hard to get into the game. I thought mitchell's workrate was once again one of the best in that midfield. He definitely had a couple of mitchell moments but i thought he played well given he only played like 59% game time in the first half and played around 70% of the game. Morrison and ward struggled with the pace and moorey could get himself inside 50 as often. Finn was outstanding although i would have like for him to play on prestia instead. Jai is probably are most consistent player in that midfield. I want to watch that game again to get better look at midfield and how they matched up. Luckily its onto next week hopefully we can bring a better performance against the bulldogs

In the interim, I think it's okay to be critical of our no 6 draft pick, other rookies, veterans and coaches. Isn't that why we're here?
No it’s not really why we’re here, and I’ll explain why.

Criticism is fine, within context.
Balance and cautious criticism is far better, because I don’t want this place to be some where people think it’s fine to make throwaway comments about the future of a 20yr old with 18 games under his belt because he couldn’t contain a 200 gamer with 6 inches and 10kgs. That is not fair or balanced.

Don’t make out like having a “we think the 18 gamer is crap” brigade is some sort of balanced viewpoint. It’s just impatience and knee-jerk commentary.
How dare you use logic to try and argue that it’s okay to have a different opinion. Your opinion is wrong and how dare you have it. And then Ned Ryerson likes it. As night follows day. Classic…..I mean seriously, the nerve. A moderator telling posters ‘don’t make out’ - translation - don’t you dare have an opinion different to mine.

How dare you use logic to try and argue that it’s okay to have a different opinion. Your opinion is wrong and how dare you have it. And then Ned Ryerson likes it. As night follows day. Classic…..I mean seriously, the nerve. A moderator telling posters ‘don’t make out’ - translation - don’t you dare have an opinion different to mine.
Hey Bruno, if this is the hill you want to die on, so be it, but if you honestly think there’s a place on here for a “we think DGB is crap” brigade, and that it’s your right to post it, you’re wrong.

I'd have a go at our completely limpdicked midfield before the young defenders any day of the week. BB and Newk can hold their heads up. JOM was poor. Tom tries but he is Dan Howe like in his ability to * up our attacking movements.

The speed at which the ball came into the D50 was ridiculous. Absolutely zero pressure on the ball carrier. Was like the Globetrotters vs the Generals out there.

No it’s not really why we’re here, and I’ll explain why.

Criticism is fine, within context.
Balance and cautious criticism is far better, because I don’t want this place to be some where people think it’s fine to make throwaway comments about the future of a 20yr old with 18 games under his belt because he couldn’t contain a 200 gamer with 6 inches and 10kgs. That is not fair or balanced.
What the hell? I don’t want this place to have opinions? This is not fair and balanced? Cautious criticism? Seriously? People are voicing an opinion on the development of a player. As far as I can see we all wish him well but many of us aren’t that impressed by his development. An opinion clearly available on any reading of the facts?

We are talking footy. Let’s stop taking ourselves so seriously

Oh I remember you - you had a big sook about our rebuild before the Crows game and then when silent when we won 4 of our next 5 games. Glad a big loss has given you the platform to be a miserable campaigner again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back