Preview Round 22, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Friday 12th August, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Lions

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry BT, that was my mistake... off the top of my head I incorrectly thought Essendon was the next game. I did my fact checking now and the results are probably more damming on our selection proces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 11 - solid WIN over North and sit fourth on the ladder with 8 wins and 3 losses

Next Game - 3 fit (not injured) young players DROPPED from the side - OUT - Sharman, NWM, Byrnes

Result - LOSS vs Brisbane

Round 21 - Thumped by an understrength Geelong

Next Game - No changes?

So because we beat 17th placed North (who was on a historic run of 40+ point losses) , we shouldn't omit two players with poor contributions in favour of our 2nd highest goal kicker (Higgins) and the best performed in the VFL the game prior (Butler)? Byrnes never took the field given he was sub so his omission allowed him to play his first game at any level for the first time in a few weeks so that's not a negative.

I'm not sure what is particularly damning about the selection process there. We can't call for us to be a stronger club with higher standards if we then complain about bringing in better performed players into the best 22.

We don't know yet if there will be changes after our loss to the side sitting on top of the ladder. Sandy are coming off a 5 day break and a loss, so there is probably not as many layers putting up their hands for selection as there were after a Sandy win

So because we beat 17th placed North (who was on a historic run of 40+ point losses) , we shouldn't omit two players with poor contributions in favour of our 2nd highest goal kicker (Higgins) and the best performed in the VFL the game prior (Butler)? Byrnes never took the field given he was sub so his omission allowed him to play his first game at any level for the first time in a few weeks so that's not a negative.

I'm not sure what is particularly damning about the selection process there. We can't call for us to be a stronger club with higher standards if we then complain about bringing in better performed players into the best 22.

We don't know yet if there will be changes after our lose to the side sitting on top of the ladder. Sandy are coming off a 5 day break and a loss, so there is probably not as many layers putting up their hands for selection as there were after a Sandy win.

Changing a winning side is dangerous, I said it at the time and I will say it again now.

I didn't agree with their selections for that Brisbane game at all ( I remember it vividly) . Higgins did nothing for Sandringham and he came straight back in and yes Butler finally got on the end of a few goals.

Our season went down hill after the North game and our forward line structure fell to pieces. That game was the last time Max King looked like a decent forward playing in a functioning forward line.

Changing a winning side is dangerous, I said it at the time and I will say it again now.

I didn't agree with their selections for that Brisbane game at all ( I remember it vividly) . Higgins did nothing for Sandringham and he came straight back in and yes Butler finally got on the end of a few goals.

Our season went down hill after the North game and our forward line structure fell to pieces. That game was the last time Max King looked like a decent forward playing in a functioning forward line.
Our season didn't go down hill because we omitted a 4th key forward who was contributing nothing or because we gave a first year player a rest for a week.

Our season didn't go down hill because we omitted a 4th key forward who was contributing nothing or because we gave a first year player a rest for a week.

Please explain then... why did our season go downhill?

I'm looking for answers, not just accepting what happens and what is dished up to the supporters of this club.

Its like going back in time to the Cho years... "it's all the forward pocket's fault!"

Just to be clear, our forward structure was at it's absolute best this season with Higgins and Butler in it.

We got beaten by Brisbane after losing 3 players.

We got beaten by Essendon because we were cocky, lazy and dumb.

Our season was cooked after that. The fragile psyche's of our playing group lost confidence, went into their shells and that was it.

Selling our home game against Port to play it in Cairns could end up costing us a chance of playing finals, play that at Marvel and we probably win it.

With the competition being so even you can't afford to throw away 4 points regardless of how much money you make, hopefully that's the end of it.
Said it at the time. How much money do we make from Cairns vs the extra revenue a finals berth would have got us? Such short sighted behaviour. Cairns, Wellington ******* Shanghai.

I'm looking for answers, not just accepting what happens and what is dished up to the supporters of this club.
its likely a combination of things but trying to distill it down to one "damien barrett sliding doors moment" is simply reductive and silly. Footy is such a complicated game with so many factors affecting everything that the complete collapse of a season could not be tied to one singular moment.

Its like going back in time to the Cho years... "it's all the forward pocket's fault!"

Just to be clear, our forward structure was at it's absolute best this season with Higgins and Butler in it.

We got beaten by Brisbane after losing 3 players.

We got beaten by Essendon because we were cocky, lazy and dumb.

Our season was cooked after that. The fragile psyche's of our playing group lost confidence, went into their shells and that was it.
also you're not entitled to win any game. Losing doesn't mean your team ****ed something up. Essendon hasn't played as well as the game against us in a while. Was one bright spot of form. Brisbane are just a better side.

Maybe we dropped off a bit but we also had the biggest contrast of going from North (one of the easiest beats in the competition) to Brisbane (a top 4 contender) so even if we didn't drop off the overall performance would have looked worse.

We were exceptionally close to winning that game, and bar two concussions and jones out with a suspected calf, we could very well have done it.

You will find more answers in Injuries to Hayes, Steele, McKenzie and Ryder than you will with young players who have done some good stuff , but ultimately not that good and not that often.

Brisbane in case you didn't notice, smacked us in the clearances and Tackles.
Do you really think Nasiah's handful of silky kicks would have made a difference?

Owens , Windhager, Ryder, McKenzie, Jones, and Long all played like crap. NWM lucky he missed the party.

That was a team loss, and selection made no difference.

There's dozens of reason you could attribute to our season going downhill. Just naming a few
  • poor depth exposed our inability to cover key injuries
  • struggles moving the ball once Sinclair got attention which weren't as obvious in the first half of the year
  • 5% drop off in some players form
  • Fixture was easier in the front half of the season so our weaknesses were covered up a bit
  • Midfield not as dominant as first half of year and forward line less cohesive

But you can guarantee that omitting the worst performed player from the North game in favour of a better player against Brisbane will not appear on that list. Especially given the circumstances of that loss with the amount of players lost from the midfield during the game.

Said it at the time. How much money do we make from Cairns vs the extra revenue a finals berth would have got us? Such short sighted behaviour. Cairns, Wellington ******* Shanghai.
The way our team performs is why we lose. A neutral venue should have no bearing on the result and aren't an excuse. Probably would have lost all games played there at home anyway.

It brings in 650k per game.

We kicked 1.12 in the 2nd half of that game. Blaming the venue is a cop out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It brings in 650k per game.

We kicked 1.12 in the 2nd half of that game. Blaming the venue is a cop out.

Easier to do it in a climate controlled environment with a home crowd though. We are a weak side mentally and adding anything outside of that makes us vulnerable. The conditions and neutral venue probably did cost us but if we are relying on waiting for things to be easy we might not be ready for finals.

A good coach should have trained them to be able to lock it all up when we are protecting a lead. Collingwood train to win close finishes and win them. You suspect Port have too because they have done it to us repeatedly.

Bring in Lienert!!

Has played in 8 games this year for 7 wins and 1 loss (to Brisbane)

he's the barometer. When he plays we win.

I don't mind Lienert. He's not flash but his kicking can break lines and bypass a lot of our dicking around with the ball.

There's dozens of reason you could attribute to our season going downhill. Just naming a few
  • poor depth exposed our inability to cover key injuries
  • struggles moving the ball once Sinclair got attention which weren't as obvious in the first half of the year
  • 5% drop off in some players form
  • Fixture was easier in the front half of the season so our weaknesses were covered up a bit
  • Midfield not as dominant as first half of year and forward line less cohesive

But you can guarantee that omitting the worst performed player from the North game in favour of a better player against Brisbane will not appear on that list. Especially given the circumstances of that loss with the amount of players lost from the midfield during the game.

All valid points

You might think that I'm being overly negative on the situation but I'm just bringing up one point at a time, explaining my thoughts and asking for feedback.

You have brought up 5 points there, without going too deep into each and most are not based around our club or any actual decisions we have made.

We have been told by our club ... we will fix off-field first then the on-field results will follow.

Off-field has been fixed for a while, most supporters are now getting impatient as to why the on-field results haven't followed.

Fitness levels dropped off after bye.

Structure hurt us no 2nd tall to help out King & Marshall can not play that role to effect.

Positional changes " Hill forward then Hill back" that type of unsettling.

Forward line structure fell away when Higgins got concussion no continuity.

Fitness levels dropped off after bye.

Structure hurt us no 2nd tall to help out King & Marshall can not play that role to effect.

Positional changes " Hill forward then Hill back" that type of unsettling.

Forward line structure fell away when Higgins got concussion no continuity.

Did we let them run their own fitness program again? What happened to fatty the fitness guy?

Just saw the press conference, DMac calf tightness won't play any level this week. Huge blow.

Dammit , they said Hannerbury was good to have around the club...but its contagious.

170418-MAIN-beef-calves-c-Tim-Scrivener.jpg

Dammit , they said Hannerbury was good to have around the club...but its contagious.

He's already been part of our team for his "leadership" qualities for 4 years and we still are bereft of leadership values... so what's another year of having him on our list going to achieve?

I really don't understand whats going on... why hasn't he passed on some of his leadership qualities to anyone on our list in the last 4 years but having him on for another year will achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back