Preview Round 22, 2022: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Friday 12th August, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Lions

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we miss by one game then one game we absolutely should not have lost (within the actual game, not theoretically) then that loss would be 100% of the reason we missed finals wouldn’t it?

... I’ve never said it was 100% the reason BUT simply, we win that and we’re in the 8 right now

Like I said it's human nature to have regrets about missed opportunities but the logic of blaming 1 loss for missing finals when there are 9 other losses is flawed logic and not deeply rooted in reality.

Maths says we can only blame the Port loss for 10% and not 100%

Like I said it's human nature to have regrets about missed opportunities but the logic of blaming 1 loss for missing finals when there are 9 other losses is flawed logic and not deeply rooted in reality.
Yeh I was replying to your flawed maths not making my own point. In reality any single loss would be the reason we miss finals (if we miss by one game) and the port one is the game we just flat out shouldn’t have lost.

It’s not a complicated concept, it seems it’s really just you that can’t grasp it.

The second half of the season is a complete collapse and hard to justify. At that stage we were flying with everything going to plan and confidence up.
The performances agsiant North and Crows were the first cracks. We over achieved in the first half, aided by favourable draw and we had some players like DMac, Wood and Seb in career best form as well as we got some very unexpected and immediate impact from some debutant kids. Out list is still off the pace. That is all

Yeh I was replying to your flawed maths not making my own point. In reality any single loss would be the reason we miss finals (if we miss by one game) and the port one is the game we just flat out shouldn’t have lost.

It’s not a complicated concept, it seems it’s really just you that can’t grasp it.
Hey don't go getting all wobbly now, you have been arguing it was just the Port loss but the maths doesn't back that up. We've proved that haven't we. There are 9 other losses. You are cherry picking one loss out of 10 when in reality we had 9 other games to win the one game you are claiming cost us finals.

Hey don't go getting all wobbly now, you have been arguing it was just the Port loss but the maths doesn't back that up. We've proved that haven't we. There are 9 other losses. You are cherry picking one loss out of 10 when in reality we had 9 other games to win the one game you are claiming cost us finals.
Sure thing buddy.

Sure thing buddy.

As someone who has problems disengaging, I think he might enjoy engaging you in perpetual argument. Since someone mentioned Colin Robinson I've started watching What We Do In The Shadows again, there are a few Colins on here.

Now playing for 2023

Might as well play guys like Connolly, highmore, Byrnes, bytel - anyone who needs a decision made regarding their place on the list next year

Clark might as well hang them up for the season and head to the gym

Anyone needing post season tweaks to their bodies should be sent of to get that done

Probably stuck with the coaches ‘as is’ for the last 2 weeks - but if there was anything that can be done there I would do that too
Byrnes decision made

As someone who has problems disengaging, I think he might enjoy engaging you in perpetual argument. Since someone mentioned Colin Robinson I've started watching What We Do In The Shadows again, there are a few Colins on here.
I hope I didn't break him but it was good he eventually realised everything in the universe can be explained with maths.

I hope I didn't break him but it was good he eventually realised everything in the universe can be explained with maths.
more chance he just got bored with you

After 50 years of watching the same rerun movie I understand all the negativity and pessimism on here. I just think some of us got seduced by our win-loss record in the first half of the season.

Many of those wins were on the back of a good quarter or good half. Rarely was it a 4 quarter effort. That type of effort just hasn't cut it at the business end of the season.

But before the season started not one commentator had us anywhere near the eight in their predictions. Most had us about 12th. The only thing the commentators agreed on was that we had the toughest fixture.

Yet, with two games to go at Marvel we are half a game out the eight. Tough games admittedly but against two teams we beat last year.

Conversely, many predicted the Dogs would win the flag. How have they gone? Hardly been in the eight all year and will only make it if Carlton crap the bed. This from a team gifted an all star draft hand and who were 4 goals up the third quarter of last year's GF. I don't hear King and co. giving it to them in the media.

Or Port. Beaten in the Prelim last year and they haven't given a yelp all year.

I just think we should be realistic. I hate us being anchored in mediocrity more than anyone but in reality we are a mid table team who have already won 11 games with two to go. And still the roughest of chances of making it.

The truth is we were never a genuine 8-3 team. We should've enjoyed it while it lasted instead of drinking the Kool Aid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After 50 years of watching the same rerun movie I understand all the negativity and pessimism on here. I just think some of us got seduced by our win-loss record in the first half of the season.

Many of those wins were on the back of a good quarter or good half. Rarely was it a 4 quarter effort. That type of effort just hasn't cut it at the business end of the season.

But before the season started not one commentator had us anywhere near the eight in their predictions. Most had us about 12th. The only thing the commentators agreed on was that we had the toughest fixture.

Yet, with two games to go at Marvel we are half a game out the eight. Tough games admittedly but against two teams we beat last year.

Conversely, many predicted the Dogs would win the flag. How have they gone? Hardly been in the eight all year and will only make it if Carlton crap the bed. This from a team gifted an all star draft hand and who were 4 goals up the third quarter of last year's GF. I don't hear King and co. giving it to them in the media.

I just think we should be realistic. I hate us being anchored in mediocrity more than anyone but in reality we are a mid table team who have already won 11 games with two to go. And still the roughest of chances of making it.

The truth is we were never a genuine 8-3 team. We should've enjoyed it while it lasted instead of drinking the Kool Aid.
We got told we were playing finals this year. We had injury ruin last season.

This is only because we disappoint and set ourselves low. Collingwood forgot to be s**t even though no one rated them.

Yeah, I think you are 100% right. I live in hope of us switching on but know that our form line suggests that we'll struggle.
Everyone thinks that, really don't understand why people can't grasp that. We aren't brain-dead morons. We know it's going to be tough. We are talking about what we need to do to make finals. We aren't saying it's going to happen.

We got told we were playing finals this year. We had injury ruin last season.

This is only because we disappoint and set ourselves low. Collingwood forgot to be s**t even though no one rated them.
Collingwood are so hard to get a read on. They keep winning games but only just. Usually percentage is the best indicator of how good a team is. I don't rate them much because of that, it's really been historic the way they've eeked out win after win.

best take on it. I agree with just about everything. Wins not as good as they seem and losses that aren't as bad as they actually looked.

Maths says we can only blame the Port loss for 10% and not 100%
Unless you weighted each game by your chance of winning

To summarise we have lost to:
Collingwood - should have won, played terrible most of game
Melbourne - beaten by better team
Port - thre this game with bad kicking and terrible i50's
Brisbane - ravaged by injury and beaten by better team
Essendon - vomit inspiring performance
Sydney - ditto
Freo - beaten by a better team
Bulldogs - more vomit🤮
Geelong - beaten by a better team

So I think 4 of our losses we were just beaten by better teams, but the rest of the losses were our own poor performances not necessarily to win - but played really badly

Brisbane coming off a 5 day break. We really need to bring it this week, win and we are back in the eight on Friday night. It is non-negotiable that we are at least in the game in the final quarter and see if we can overrun them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back