Review Round 22, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sorry it feels that way. I didn't think so at the time, and when I realised we were coming from irreconcilable perspectives I stopped.

Apologies to Nunez if I made you feel uncomfortable.

No need, forums are made for discussion!

It is not so much the Starc error that is of concern but the typical Lions response to it. Starc and Wilmot throwing themselves into everything was a highlight and a continuation on the desperation shown by others in the Freo match.

I was pretty disappointed in our start yesterday. Not just in general effort levels, but also in the way we lined up. Our forward six was all three talls + Rayner, Cameron and Zorko. It isn't a particularly strong defensive unit that can set a tone for a game in terms of effort. I said as such to those around me and sure enough the ball exited our forward 50 without any effort in those opening exchanges, on one occasion resulting in an uninterrupted chain to goal for the Crows.

Next move was a change up to our centre bounce group, and despite Zorko being invisible during the warmup (I could have sworn he wasn't with the midfield group) in he trots for an extended stint on the ball. To say I wasn't in the slightest bit surprised to then watch a centre bounce goal against us and a continued poor start would be an understatement.

I just can't see how Fagan and co think that these were good decisions. Why not start with McCarthy and or Ah Chee forward to set the tone pressure wise. Why, for goodness sake is Zorko seen as an answer to our midfield woes?

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed in our start yesterday. Not just in general effort levels, but also in the way we lined up. Our forward six was all three talls + Rayner, Cameron and Zorko. It isn't a particularly strong defensive unit that can set a tone for a game in terms of effort. I said as such to those around me and sure enough the ball exited our forward 50 without any effort in those opening exchanges, on one occasion resulting in an uninterrupted chain resulting in a goal.

Next move was a change up to our centre bounce group, and despite Zorko being invisible during the warmup (I could have sworn he wasn't with the midfield group) in he trots for an extended stint on the ball. To say I wasn't in the slightest bit surprised to then watch a centre bounce goal against us and a continued poor start would be an understatement.

I just can't see how Fagan and co think that these were good decisions. Why not start with McCarthy and or Ah Chee forward to set the tone pressure wise. Why, for goodness sake is Zorko seen as an answer to our midfield woes?
Our first set up was poor.

Zorks time as a midfielder is over.

For god sake you people, we are 2nd on the ladder.

Yes it's frustrating to watch at times, particularly lately but all other competing opponents did not go into our matches saying we'll let the Lions win so they get up to 2nd place...

...our boys got themselves there by winning and winning coached by Fagan and co.

Easier said than done I know, but we need to settle expectations, relax and trust the coaches and the boys to go as far as they possibly can.

...every now and then, remind ourselves of where we were and where we are now.

I'm pretty damn pleased with our boys sitting right under Collingwood, getting ready to take them on again 20 years later.

What a wonderful thought that is!:grinv1:

i just can't see where we can guaranteed to go up another gear. We've seen the complete game we are capable of only a few times this year. Never a full game but a quarter, or in the case of the demons game, a half of scintillating football.

Pies, Port, Melbourne even the Blues have shown they can play their top brand of footy much more consistently than us. I like watching the Pies and Power play as you know they are pretty much going to play great football. The median Lions v Pies v Port games i have the Pies ahead by quiet a bit and then Port.
Honest question…. If you don’t enjoy watching the lions play then why do you apparently support them? Just curious

Put a positive spin on what you have said…. We haven’t seen our best footy this year and we are still sitting second on the ladder…. Possibly a game clear come the end of the round.

Honest question…. If you don’t enjoy watching the lions play then why do you apparently support them? Just curious

Put a positive spin on what you have said…. We haven’t seen our best footy this year and we are still sitting second on the ladder…. Possibly a game clear come the end of the round.
We're here to analyse our game /players and support/make suggestions/criticise or whatever else you would include in an honest discussion.

Not directed at you Lions08 but to all the others who have a crack at Size Matters I've never had a problem with anything he puts up , don't sometimes agree , everyone has their own methodology of supporting a team , no iron law that says you have to be positive. You're allowed to take a negative bent , some people are perfectly happy being that way.

As for what he said on this occasion I think it's a valid point.

I think Hipwood has been playing & contesting very well, he's been heavily involved this season, to the point where his finishing can be the difference between us winning by 6-7 goals or us winning by a kick off the back of 12 point turn arounds from quick rebound goals against us out the back.

I think Hipwood has been playing & contesting very well, he's been heavily involved this season, to the point where his finishing can be the difference between us winning by 6-7 goals or us winning by a kick off the back of 12 point turn arounds from quick rebound goals against us out the back.
His year's been solid and importantly he's become far more a team player . Once we sorted his runup and he realised he didn't have to kick the cover off the ball his finishing has likewise improved.

There seems to be a problem with the ladder being published on every media outlet. It has us as second (out of eighteen).

Yet based on a sentiment analysis algorithm I have running on the posts in this forum, our predicted position should be 11-13.

I've contacted the AFL to ensure they get the ladder corrected promptly. Stay tuned.

A couple of points that may not have been mentioned:
Prior running back against the pack to spoil Tex beautifully in a marking contest without giving away a free - extremely courageous stuff.
Joe stepping up again in that last minute of the game and taking a pivotal contested mark - he was also enormous in the last 2 minutes last week against Freo...fantastic efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, I thought Eric had a pretty good game. Does a lot of unrewarded running, but continues to present and does well to halve a lot more contests, which he wasn’t able to do a few years ago. Marking (especially contested) will never be a strength but as long as he isn’t getting beaten, you can’t ask for much more than that.

I was far more worried about his form heading into last years finals series than this years and that turned out ok for him.

What I love about footy is going to games and not bothering to control emotional responses, just let em rip and ride the wave.

So different to anything else in my week. And life.

The start and end of yesterday was crazy fingernail biting adrenaline, the rest was pure fun.

Sport eh. Beats movies and tv every single day of the week.

where did I say I don't enjoy watching the Lions play?

We're here to analyse our game /players and support/make suggestions/criticise or whatever else you would include in an honest discussion.

Not directed at you Lions08 but to all the others who have a crack at Size Matters I've never had a problem with anything he puts up , don't sometimes agree , everyone has their own methodology of supporting a team , no iron law that says you have to be positive. You're allowed to take a negative bent , some people are perfectly happy being that way.

some posters have limited comprehension. I don't get it either. I literally have this undesirable that follows me through Bigfooty name calling and big noting themselves yet more often than not we have aligned opinions. It's one of the most bizarre breakdowns I've experienced and I do hope they seek help.

I don't want this to become a back and forth but for the record I'm not saying we're not very good, nor that everyone else sucks. There are a lot of good teams, and there's a hell of a lot of pressure on every one of them to keep winning and finish as high as possible to firstly make the cut, and then to maximise their chances come finals.

I respect that position, seems reasonable. We are 2nd so hard to argue. Like never before the finals will be a mini season, hopefully we get back to our best after the break.

first 18 years of my life was abuse which has resulted in my brain being wired in a critical manner. People would have no idea what I do or how I am in my day to day - I've worked my arse off and made some risky big financial calls and am now reaping the lucrative and fulfilling rewards. All thew while giving back to community particularly in the First Nation space.

But hey apparently I'm having complete mental breakdowns, am abusive, and a complete flog. Some people here think I just wake up every day and go "hmmm, how can I troll Bigfooty today?"

This forum is a place for me to come and discus footy, read opinions and provide mine. What do I get out of it besides being told to go kill myself and to continue "trolling"?

I just do my own thing and certainly don't fall into the group think that can often, for right or wrong, infiltrate these types of discussion forums.

Last edited:
Sport eh. Beats movies and tv every single day of the week.
That is exactly how I view sport, it's entertainment with an emotional attachment.

It is my go to form of entertainment, I do enjoy a good movie or series but nothing can beat a sporting team you are emotionally invested in, just strap in and enjoy the ride.

Crows are a good side and are going to be unlucky to miss. Their percentage is a pretty good reflection where they are actually at.

I’m not too negative about the performance tonight. As mentioned Charlie, Wilmott and McLuggage were great. I don’t agree with the negative talk on Rayner and Dev. Both were decent enough tonight.

The one area we were totally dominated in was clearances for about the 4th week in a row. I agree with 3KZ in that we’re an inside midfielder short, but Lyons isn’t the answer. Matho needs to come in. He will absolutely kill it in there as part of the second mid rotations. No brainer for me.

I'm with you on Matho.. we need a junkyard dog in there to take the heat off Neale

first 18 years of my life was abuse which has resulted in my brain being wired in a critical manner. People would have no idea what I do or how I am in my day to day - I've worked my arse off and made some risky big financial calls and am now reaping the lucrative and fulfilling rewards. All thew while giving back to community particularly in the First Nation space.

But hey apparently I'm having complete mental breakdowns, am abusive, and a complete flog. Some people here think I just wake up every day and go "hmmm, how can I troll Bigfooty today?"

This forum is a place for me to come and discus footy, read opinions and provide mine. What do I get out of it besides being told to go kill myself and to continue "trolling"?

I just do my own thing and certainly don't fall into the group think that can often, for right or wrong, filtrate these types of discussion forums.

Everyone is welcome to express their opinions, and ignore comments they don't like.

You do you.

Back