Review Round 22, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It kind of feels like like you’re arguing for the sake of arguing
Is this the three minute argument?

R.a48b9fd30026f5ad4367b7811a1ed449

FWIW, I thought Eric had a pretty good game. Does a lot of unrewarded running, but continues to present and does well to halve a lot more contests, which he wasn’t able to do a few years ago. Marking (especially contested) will never be a strength but as long as he isn’t getting beaten, you can’t ask for much more than that.

I was far more worried about his form heading into last years finals series than this years and that turned out ok for him.
Hipwood suffers as many thought he was going to be a star (well I did), all Australian, Jonno Brown's replacement etc.

He isn't that good but is one of the first selected each week.

We have no inside knowledge of wether the boys are implementing a heavier training load at the moment pre-finals. What we can do however is look at the facts. That is we just had a six day break away with the longest trip football. It’s amazing that some here don’t take that into account. When I was watching the Pies v Blues BT made a comment about their 6 day break when they did their amazingly long trip to Adelaide. I was thinking before the game about our trip to Perth and also that the Crows are a pretty good team playing for finals. All in all it was a good win. Further to add for the integrity of the competition we have another 6 day break…..back to back!

A number of people are locked onto their ideas so there's no point. Old mate in front of me yesterday reminds me every game "Why don't they play man on man, the lions always let players run free, they need to learn how to defend!". Says the same things every week.

Their losses to the Pies twice and Demons once of 1, 2 and 4 points is a pretty impressive. I thought they'd get us yesterday, they're a seriously good team and will be one to watch next year.

Wasn"t Lester on McAdam when he kicked his first three goals? Whoever was on him got towelled up. It was only when Starc went to him that he quietened down I thought.

I haven't watched the game yet but I recall a couple of posts in the game day thread mentioning Lester's poor play giving up 2 or 3 goals at the start.

Had a quick look at MacAdam's first three goals in case my eyes were deceiving me.

First goal he was Lester's man and Lester missed a simple spoil on him.

Second goal Payne tracked Walker back, switched to MacAdam as Harris picked Walker up. Fogerty ran a block on Lester.

Third goal Lester failed to spoil a mark on MacAdam who was too quick for him.

After that it looks like Lester was switched onto Fogerty and kept him quiet while Starc went onto MacAdam.

Yes a very poor start for Lester, thanks heavens for Starcevich.

I think our current form is on a par with most other top teams' current form. Neither Carlton nor Melbourne looked like clear grand finalists to me and Collingwood had to fight all the way to beat a mid-table team on Friday night. Port is struggling. Our form is as good as anyone's.

Right? Glad I’m not the only one that watched last night and thought that both Carlton/Melbourne were playing pretty mediocre footy, so much for both being talked up as clear 2nd seeds

Yes a very poor start for Lester, thanks heavens for Starcevich.

Footy is a game of mistakes, and - at this level - where class players do class things. These 2 are by far the best options we have for their positions. Live with it.

first 18 years of my life was abuse which has resulted in my brain being wired in a critical manner. People would have no idea what I do or how I am in my day to day - I've worked my arse off and made some risky big financial calls and am now reaping the lucrative and fulfilling rewards. All thew while giving back to community particularly in the First Nation space.

But hey apparently I'm having complete mental breakdowns, am abusive, and a complete flog. Some people here think I just wake up every day and go "hmmm, how can I troll Bigfooty today?"

This forum is a place for me to come and discus footy, read opinions and provide mine. What do I get out of it besides being told to go kill myself and to continue "trolling"?

I just do my own thing and certainly don't fall into the group think that can often, for right or wrong, infiltrate these types of discussion forums.
Who told you to go kill yourself? I've been trolling this board and no one has told me to kill myself....yet.

Did anyone else see Rayner lash out at Nankervis on the member's wing? Seemed to get him high, my initial thought was there's a week in it.
Apparently Nankervis told him that ‘Kick Ons’ was a rubbish podcast. Rayner had to be restrained by teammates.

Hipwood suffers as many thought he was going to be a star (well I did), all Australian, Jonno Brown's replacement etc.

Prior to him doing his ACL, MCL & Meniucus all in one hit, his footy was the best of his career. Nobody come's back into the game after an injury like that and pick up where you left off. In addition, most KPF rarely hit their peak until they turn 27-28-29 years old. Hippy has his best football in front of him. He is selected each week because he simply is the hardest worker in our forward line and when given a specific role to play in a game, does it. Jono Brown a very different footballer to Hippy from the start and not even close to being the same footballer in style and athletisism. Comparing the 2 isn't smart in my opinion.

Would it surprise you to find out he’s top 20 in the Coleman?

Would be many teams best forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to him doing his ACL, MCL & Meniucus all in one hit, his footy was the best of his career. Nobody come's back into the game after an injury like that and pick up where you left off. In addition, most KPF rarely hit their peak until they turn 27-28-29 years old. Hippy has his best football in front of him. He is selected each week because he simply is the hardest worker in our forward line and when given a specific role to play in a game, does it. Jono Brown a very different footballer to Hippy from the start and not even close to being the same footballer in style and athletisism. Comparing the 2 isn't smart in my opinion.
Hippy is fantastic and I love his absolute gut busting efforts in our forward line. His form prior to that horrific injury was fantastic and in my opinion he is not far off being back to his best. His growth and development over the next few years will be something to savor.

With Hippy, his game went to another level when Gunston was out of the team earlier in the year, so here’s hoping he can do the same again.
He is in better form now than when Gunston went out last time so he is set up to finish the year strong.

Very frustrated after the game. We make life so hard for ourselves. But,giving it 24 hours and reflecting I think coming back from Perth and having a 6 day break as opposed to Crows having 7 days - we take the win. This time of the year, wins are so tough. Teams looking for a finals spot are playing their Grand Finals.

We haven't been great the last three weeks, however, we have managed two wins. This week will obviously be a big test. If we get blown away then we are in massive trouble. Win or have a narrow loss and we can feel very confident going into September.

McCluggage and Harris our best two against Crows. Lester reliable and solid as always. Charlie much better. Hippy worked hard. Dunkley surprisingly quiet by his standards. Our mids need a big lift.

I'm hoping Rayner explodes this week against the Pies - we have all been waiting for this for a long time! I think with Gunston out we play Cam deep forward and let him fly for marks or crash packs and he could even try crumbing a contest like he should more often.

Gunston out and Rayner with a designated role up forward might be a blessing in disguise. He really needs to repay the blind faith that has been installed into him over the years.

Very frustrated after the game. We make life so hard for ourselves. But,giving it 24 hours and reflecting I think coming back from Perth and having a 6 day break as opposed to Crows having 7 days - we take the win. This time of the year, wins are so tough. Teams looking for a finals spot are playing their Grand Finals.

We haven't been great the last three weeks, however, we have managed two wins. This week will obviously be a big test. If we get blown away then we are in massive trouble. Win or have a narrow loss and we can feel very confident going into September.

McCluggage and Harris our best two against Crows. Lester reliable and solid as always. Charlie much better. Hippy worked hard. Dunkley surprisingly quiet by his standards. Our mids need a big lift.

I'm hoping Rayner explodes this week against the Pies - we have all been waiting for this for a long time! I think with Gunston out we play Cam deep forward and let him fly for marks or crash packs and he could even try crumbing a contest like he should more often.

Gunston out and Rayner with a designated role up forward might be a blessing in disguise. He really needs to repay the blind faith that has been installed into him over the years.

With Moore out, Rayner could really exploit their defence as third tall.

Agree 100%. Little respect is given to the opposition, who were very good.

Just noting that Lester was very poor at the start. And I disagree we have Gardiner in the wings.
Lester was poor early and did cough up a couple of goals, but he did respond really well. His end to the game was fantastic.

Glad we have Gardiner fit as coverage. At the moment I only see him coming in for injuries but very glad to have him ready to go for emergencies in finals

Wonder if they'll switch Howe down back?

Likely will just play Maynard on him and Maynard will run off and hurt us going the other way like Hinge did on the weekend

Fake tough guy Maynard being given license to run off really doesn’t scare me tbh. Think hinge is a much better player by now.

I can’t remember Maynard having a good game against us. Most of the time he’s been there to throw Charlie down after he’s conceded a mark to him, or given away a free kick.

Ironically when we met them down there we won all the key stats. Weird games against them this year where each loser probably should’ve won.
Agreed, the resemblance to our previous match earlier this year was intriguing. Adelaide are no mugs - their percentage shows they are a 'close, but not quite' team this year.

Brisbane v Adelaide​

9 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
7 Harris Andrews (BL)
5 Charlie Cameron (BL)
4 Matt Crouch (ADEL)
3 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
1 Ben Keays (ADEL)
1 Shane McAdam (ADEL)

Back