Preview Round 22 - Brisbane v Geelong @ the Gabba

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jansen example is a very good one here. The Club had very open, honest and positive discussions with him about what was required - two way discussion. Whilst it didn't work out for him you will find Jarrad is still a huge advocate of the Club and its' culture. He accepted the Club couldn't guarantee him playing time and left on good terms

I hope the discussions with Charlie are along a similar vein and that he can address any concerns and become a regular 2020 and beyond - I think he will fill out more with another preseason and build his endurance base so that with his ball winning ability should go a long way towards that.
Difference was Jansen was never very good. Even in the VFL. Not just apparently average like Constable has been but actually poor.
I actually saw the one Jansen game that a lot of people were saying that he should of come into the seniors for and it wasn't even very good.
He made a reputation of having a bid body for a mid and that alone.

Don’t mind the 2E forward idea. Essentially he’s just replacing Menegola (upgrade) with MOC replacing him in defence (another upgrade), so pretty good changes from a side that performed very well last week. Still kinda hope they bring in Stanley for Hendo or Kolo though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've been worried about this game for quite a few weeks, but I'm starting to get a good feeling for it.
Hawkins has a shot for the Coleman if he makes a statement. Danger and Kelly for the brownlow. Top spot on the line.
The only thing they have that we miss, is the 'just bloody go for it' attitude.
If we crank that, we blow them away.
Its footy. Overthink it and the other team will win.
This smacks of the 2017 granny for mine. the power stance vs the brothers vibe destroyed Adelaide before the first siren.
I really want to just see them play for the ball, the club, and each other. On paper we are a better side, we just need to love it more than Brisbane do.

I've been worried about this game for quite a few weeks, but I'm starting to get a good feeling for it.
Hawkins has a shot for the Coleman if he makes a statement. Danger and Kelly for the brownlow. Top spot on the line.
The only thing they have that we miss, is the 'just bloody go for it' attitude.
If we crank that, we blow them away.
Its footy. Overthink it and the other team will win.
This smacks of the 2017 granny for mine. the power stance vs the brothers vibe destroyed Adelaide before the first siren.
I really want to just see them play for the ball, the club, and each other. On paper we are a better side, we just need to love it more than Brisbane do.
It'll be won and lost in the midfield; who gets their hands on it first and who can apply the most pressure.

Our backline will dominate if we keep their I50's down and force them to bomb it in while our forwards should get plenty of one-on-ones if we move it quick.

Last edited:
So he kicked a goal after the siren so that makes him a good forward candidate? That’s ridiculous reasoning. We are playing without a ruckman which we have had all year. It is unsettled
It would be ridiculous reasoning, glad I didn't reason that way. If you want to debate what I stated, then get it right, don't invent or distort what I wrote then attack your own invention!!

Last edited:
Scott’s comments about Narkle last week were revealing he referenced again how he was nervous in round 1 about so many young players. He was trying to be positive but it revealed he does not instinctively trust young players in the key roles.

He is not going to back Narkle and Constable in the midfield in a final. He is going back to old ways under pressure..
That’s incredibly selective commenting that you’ve done there. Not sure why, since it appears to make you look biased and unbalanced, which you wouldn’t want would you?

He actually said that the players in the team (whether young or not) had earned their spot in the team. He was worried because they were facing a lot of 2018 top 8 teams in the first half of the season and wanted his assistants to stick to their plan even if the results didn’t fall their way. He said that Narkle had earned his spot when asked about him last week.

Clearly if young/first year players like Narkle, Atkins, O’Connor, Henry and Miers are in the team, then he must trust them to do their job, no?

I don't reckon.
Saying nearly all is probably wrong I'll concede that, you are 100% incorrect saying he played 100 games as a winger though

So he kicked a goal after the siren so that makes him a good forward candidate? That’s ridiculous reasoning. We are playing without a ruckman which we have had all year. It is unsettled
I’d say they spent the entire season trying to get the main ruckmen into form. Its not really the MC’s fault that both ruckman were not that useful or didn’t find form. It is however the MC’s responsibility to have the right players in the right positions by the time the finals start.

We’ve won clearances, and dominated inside 50’s when Blitz has played ruck this year. He’s actually comfortable in the role. Its not like its Danger doing it.

Yes, it changes the line-up, but based on your comment, you would rather keep our underperforming ruckmen in the team, even if they provide no value, just to keep the team ‘settled’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying nearly all is probably wrong I'll concede that, you are 100% incorrect saying he played 100 games as a winger though
hmmm perhaps. I didn't see enough Carlton games to make that statement as a certainty, I did see him play a lot of games on the wing and moving forward.

I think Tuohy is a forward chance also. If you look at the photo in the AFL App Sliding Doors column there is a photo of the forward group with Enright and it is Hawk, Sav, Gaz, Gryan, Atkins, Dahl and Tuohy. Could be a little hint and explain why so many defenders named
IV always said Tuhoy would make a good 3rd mid size small lead forward.... Awesome kick on him,. But I doubt they would play him forward in tomorrow game, who knows, strange things happen.

IV always said Tuhoy would make a good 3rd mid size small lead forward.... Awesome kick on him,. But I doubt they would play him forward in tomorrow game, who knows, strange things happen.
I'd love to see him start in the forwardline; something fresh and different, plus our backline is stacked already.

I'd love to see him start in the forwardline; something fresh and different, plus our backline is stacked already.

if the photo on the AFL website is any indication Tuohy is a lock up forward.

Enright talking to the forward group....Hawkins, Sav, Atkins, Ablett, Miers, Dahlhaus and.......

Tuohy.

• GEELONG CATS
  • FOLLOWERS
  • 17 Esava Ratugolea
  • 14 Joel Selwood
  • 11 Tim Kelly

• FB
  • 2 Luke Hodge
  • 31 Harris Andrews
  • 24 Marcus Adams

• FF
  • 40 Luke Dahlhaus
  • 26 Tom Hawkins
  • 30 Tom Atkins

• HB
  • 29 Alex Witherden
  • 27 Darcy Gardiner
  • 10 Daniel Rich

• HF
  • 4 Gary Ablett
  • 38 Jack Henry
  • 29 Cameron Guthrie

• C
  • 11 Lincoln McCarthy
  • 15 Dayne Zorko
  • 5 Mitch Robinson

• C
  • 22 Mitch Duncan
  • 44 Tom Stewart
  • 35 Patrick Dangerfield

• HF
  • 23 Charles Cameron
  • 30 Eric Hipwood
  • 6 Hugh McCluggage

• HB
  • 2 Zach Tuohy
  • 8 Jake Kolodjashnij
  • 42 Mark O'Connor

• FF
  • 46 Oscar McInerney
  • 25 Daniel McStay
  • 7 Jarrod Berry

• FB
  • 24 Jed Bews
  • 46 Mark Blicavs
  • 7 Harry Taylor

• INTERCHANGE
  • 3 Allen Christensen
  • 16 Cam Rayner
  • 33 Zac Bailey
  • 43 Noah Answerth

• EMERGENCIES
  • 14 Josh Walker
  • 20 Cedric Cox
  • 35 Ryan Lester
  • 39 Corey Lyons

• INTERCHANGE
  • 25 Lachie Henderson
  • 3 Brandan Parfitt
  • 32 Gryan Miers
  • 19 Quinton Narkle

• EMERGENCIES
  • 34 James Parsons
  • 27 Sam Menegola
  • 16 Scott Selwood
  • 1 Rhys Stanley

Team looks very unbalanced and a nod to years gone by that hasn't worked. Once again a team filled with defenders that will be played out of position instead of making the tough decisions on a lucky few players. Look a mid short (2 short if you count Guthrie) Can see Zorko having a day out.
I agree with your user name.

It'll be won and lost in the midfield; who gets their hands on it first and who can apply the most pressure.

Our backline will dominate if we keep their I50's down and force them to bomb it in while our forwards should get plenty of one-on-ones if we move it quick.

Could not agree more and that is why Dangerfield has to start in the centre and play their for 80% of the game. If our forwardline isn't good enough then so be it we have to find another mix but it is so noticeable to me when Paddy isn't in the middle. Even more noticeable when he goes in there. As Chris Scott so often says momentum is a big thing and it is hard to stop. FOR GOD SAKE START PADDY IN THE MIDDLE!!

I wonder if they play Henry forward...

The Lions have been our whipping boys for a while, for some reason I think we match up good against them and might give them a touch up.

I wonder if they play Henry forward...

The Lions have been our whipping boys for a while, for some reason I think we match up good against them and might give them a touch up.
They were everybody's whipping boys for a while. Even while showing glimpses of coming good last year, they still finished bottom 4. This 2019 incarnation, however, is very different from what they've been for much of the last decade. Previous encounters mean very little in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back