Round 22: Carlton v Melbourne, Sunday 1:10 PM AEST MCG

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Good win by the boys.

Losing against Brisbane last week was *ed and could have finished the year with 9 wins.. so I think 12 wins next year is realistic.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Well played Carlton :thumbsu: - we were out-played and out-coached.

Just brings us back to earth a little after the last 3 weeks.

Lots of areas for us to improve in the offseason at all levels.

Cheers.

Agreed though re: your pre-season, Roos probably was never here to get you guys to finals. He was there to install the right habits, the right programs etc. It's all coming together, but this offseason will be huge for you guys to iron out the kinks and get it all flowing nicely.

The team is Goodwins now and I reckon you guys are set big time. Roos has more than done his job, you guys weren't on today yes but he has just about killed off the travel bug you guys had, almost rolled some pretty decent teams this year on their home decks (+ actually beating Hawthorn and GWS at MCG).

Abomination

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
The better team clearly won on the day. That was peahearted rubbish from my team despite having everything to play for, against a team (with all due respect) that had very little on the line. Carlton were due for a win after the Brisbane loss, and I knew they'd come out fired up. I told coworkers all week that we'd drop this game then win against Geelong when it was irrelevant, so I'm totally unsurprised by this result.

I do think the 20-5 free kick count is taking the piss, some convenient calls were ignored, but it's not really why we lost. Maybe try putting a tag on the guy making 26 disposals in a half next time, coaches.

Melbourne 0-8 against Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon in the last 2 years, no team deserves to play finals with a record like that.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Free kick count sure was dodgy, but then again not the first time the blues have got the rub of the green...

free kick count is dodge but for Melbourne's sake more important so wwere the clearances 41 v 26 and tackles 83 v 67

Melbourne were caught with the ball alot.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Good win for the Blues.

I like this Carlton team. They're an honest team just lacking some talent. They'll add that over the next two preseasons.

All Melbournes score pretty much came from turnovers. Its that lack of talent across the board that hurts us. Bolton has the endeavor up though. Cant fault the work rate.

VineyIsLORD

Norm Smith Medallist
May 6, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we want to play finals this year we need to be aggressive at the contest from the opening bounce. If we can do that, maintain our structures as a finals side should against a lower ranked opponent then we win by enough to close the 2.8% down.

That said we're not a finals quality side yet (albeit we're in much better form than north) so I fear we'll see the Melbourne of old and we'll loose by 18 points.

Terrible effort, you were off by two whole points.

FootyGeek

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Hogan needs to do a lot of work on his set shots. Cripps has to as well, but it is not 90% of his game.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
BS CRYFOOL.jpg

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
If Cripps doesn't get 3 brownlow votes today, the umpires can GAGF. Far and Away the most influential player. We're lucky to have him

FootyGeek

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Also, Frawley only compared the clearances of Cripps Gibbs and occasionally Curnow to the entire Melbourne team only about 20 times. Great sense of restraint there by Spud, he really lowered the eyes and learnt from that with his call today.

All Melbournes score pretty much came from turnovers. Its that lack of talent across the board that hurts us. Bolton has the endeavor up though. Cant fault the work rate.
Not just the work rate, they're doing the team things well.

There was a shot they were showing during one of the breaks (1/2 time?) showing from behind at what a Melbourne player was looking at kicking into the F50 from about 75m out. All 6+1 defenders were perfectly positioned. Carlton this year do that more often than not. It's great coaching.

Also, when they do make turnovers, the other players aren't pointing fingers or making half hearted efforts. They dig deep to help cover for their team-mate. Simpson is a real leader in that regards. It shows they have a good team culture.

I'd be bullish about this team if I was a Carlton fan despite recent results.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd be bullish about this team if I was a Carlton fan despite recent results.

It gets back to talent again though. We've literally blown a decade of drafts. Watson, Lucas, Yarran, Menzel, Bootsma - all 1st rounders that are no longer with us. Second rounders and so forth are worse.

We have a solid bunch of 26+ year olds (Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson) then a huge gulf in talent over the next 5 year gap, then Cripps, Docherty and Weitering at the younger end.

We need to nail the next few drafts (against the trend) just to get that talent deficit in the black.

Believe it or not, I was fairly happy with Cunninghams game. Early draft pick from last year in his second game. Went OK.

FootyGeek

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
It gets back to talent again though. We've literally blown a decade of drafts. Watson, Lucas, Yarran, Menzel, Bootsma - all 1st rounders that are no longer with us. Second rounders and so forth are worse.

We have a solid bunch of 26+ year olds (Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson) then a huge gulf in talent over the next 5 year gap, then Cripps, Docherty and Weitering at the younger end.

We need to nail the next few drafts (against the trend) just to get that talent deficit in the black.

Believe it or not, I was fairly happy with Cunninghams game. Early draft pick from last year in his second game. Went OK.

$1 in to the Cuningham jar please.

Try to get it right.

Oh no doubt. That's why I said earlier you'll need two preseasons until the team really starts moving up the ladder.

The conditions today suited you because it reduced the influence of the outside game. The lack of quality ball users wasn't an issue.

But to me Bolton has got the hardest part right. And that's building a team environment where players buy in. Gibbs is an example of a player that he's taken to another level this year. I've always been a harsh critic of his work, even in his good games, but this year he's developed a harder edge to his game.

In the AFL you always get talent through your club. Doesn't matter how incompetent the coaching staff. Its easy to burn that talent if you don't have the environment that develops it.

It'll take time but I'd be more confident now as a Carlton supporter than any time in the past decade.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
It takes time but I'd be more confident now as a Carlton supporter than any time in the past decade.

I am, but we cant get ahead of ourselves. Fast forward 5 years, and there is little in the cupboard beyond half a dozen good young players.

We went to the draft hard last year and picked up 4 young players in the top 20, and most have shown something (including SOSOS who looks a bargain at pick 50 odd). Need to replicate that over the next 3 years so when the older crew are gone, we dont fall in a hole again.

Back