Prediction Round 22: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its strange that Cerra trained and after training was selected but hours later is reported as being injured while training. Strange days indeed.

Maybe he pulled up halfway through a drill and decided in that moment he was leaving and duly told someone... It was then he was pulled from the upcoming match. :laughing:

I'm in the fetal position and the game is still more than two days away...nothing better than being a Freo supporter going into the last couple of rounds of the season.

I'm in the fetal position and the game is still more than two days away...nothing better than being a Freo supporter going into the last couple of rounds of the season.
The one good thing about our season ending in two weeks is that we will finally have an answer re Cerra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

90% of fans think their team gets rogered by the umps in 100% of games. Literally both teams in every game. It's one of the more staggering things about sport in general.

I would fully expect them to think they are getting a raw deal.

Joao - or anyone else relatively impartial on the umpire front - what's your response to Mark Duffield's "Farewell Deano" item in today's West (Duff's Derby Dozen)?

Duff, whom I rate highly, says "We know he (Margetts) is not a favourite amongst the Freo faithful but....when the siren goes hopefully the crowd will show Deano the respect he deserves".

My first response is yeah, right! to showing the respect he deserves - after all, WHY is he not a favourite with Freo? But in a last-ditch attempt to find fairness (whiles away the awful hours till Armageddon) I'm asking any of you out there why I should change my anti-Margetts mind.

Joao - or anyone else relatively impartial on the umpire front - what's your response to Mark Duffield's "Farewell Deano" item in today's West (Duff's Derby Dozen)?

Duff, whom I rate highly, says "We know he (Margetts) is not a favourite amongst the Freo faithful but....when the siren goes hopefully the crowd will show Deano the respect he deserves".

My first response is yeah, right! to showing the respect he deserves - after all, WHY is he not a favourite with Freo? But in a last-ditch attempt to find fairness (whiles away the awful hours till Armageddon) I'm asking any of you out there why I should change my anti-Margetts mind.

The best thing for him is a win for us. The umps tend to be forgotten about when they leave the ground after a win. After a loss (especially one we deem to have been royally screwed by the umps) is a different story.

He’s not some evil supervillain twirling his moustache at the thought of screwing Freo over, he’s a poor umpire that crumbles under the weight of crowd noise. That is all.

The dude has still given a lot of time and effort to doing a job most would hate, I feel that should be respected at the end of the day

He’s not some evil supervillain twirling his moustache at the thought of screwing Freo over, he’s a poor umpire that crumbles under the weight of crowd noise. That is all.

The dude has still given a lot of time and effort to doing a job most would hate, I feel that should be respected at the end of the day
I agree with most of that, but I believe he deliberately looks for free kicks against us whenever possible. Less in recent times, but certainly in the past.

If I remember right from that home/away free kick differential graph that was floating around, we still do ok when Margetts umpires our home games. It's just the stark contrast between West Coast at home compared to the rest of the competition that is incredibly grating. He's going to be a genuine loss for them next season.

Anyway, he'll probably be relieved that he can put the whistle away this week as we're perfectly capable of losing to West Coast on our own.

Your view is backed up by how many Egirl supporters who hate him. The bloke is incompetent but not a cheat. He makes errors against all sides.

If I remember right from that home/away free kick differential graph that was floating around, we still do ok when Margetts umpires our home games. It's just the stark contrast between West Coast at home compared to the rest of the competition that is incredibly grating. He's going to be a genuine loss for them next season.

That tally equaled +1 free-kick per game and it doesn't specify which umpires in those games are the ones that paid the free-kicks. It is a pretty misleading graph made up by a Weagle to try and throw it back on us.

That tally equaled +1 free-kick per game and it doesn't specify which umpires in those games are the ones that paid the free-kicks. It is a pretty misleading graph made up by a Weagle to try and throw it back on us.

A good lesson in making sure to read graphs properly!

Snuffaluphagus nailed it.

You don't have to cheer him and you can boo him if you want, but like it or not umpires are essential and no matter who they are, you won't like them (unless they cheat in our favour).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back