Preview Round 22: Changes Vs Essendon + Pre-match discussion

Demons09

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2009
rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Duman's not told to pack his bags and given 24 hours to clean out his locker, we'll know we're tanking.

Possibly the worst game of AFL by a Freo player in its history.
The thing is I don’t think he’s a defender seems more a wing man, why do we play so many players out of position Duman Cerra and Blakely aren’t defenders ffs.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Banfield is thick as s**t. That goal he ducked up was mind boggling

Banfield out for ever. Nyhuis in for Duman

McCarthy in for Banfield.
Carter was poor but keep him in.
Sturt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep Banfield was killer for me. Banfield a number of times within goal kicking distance seemed to be looking everywhere except the big sticks. Eyes darting around like Rosco at his press conference. Was embarrassing, then he took so friggin long looking for an option about 20 metres out that he was holding the ball.

Switta played much better but he really needs to improve his goal kicking. Put Crowden’s kicking skills on him and we have a serious player.

Not the best from Carter either. If Wilson is fit he comes in for Carter.

Duman just had to handball to Walters for that overlap. Also failed to impact on a couple of contests but he was far from worst. Needs to be HBF or better still on the Wing.

In: McCarthy or Sturt, and Wilson
Out: Banfield, and Carter

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Play Ballas, he deserves a send off. Play all the old blokes next week then rest Mundy, Sandi and Ballas for round 23 and debut a couple of young guys then. Play Cam Mac.

Ballas can get stuffed. He’s played 3 years too many and now we want to give him a send off?

He can have a send off for the Port game away from home when we need to lose to secure a higher draft pick.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Ballas can get stuffed. He’s played 3 years too many and now we want to give him a send off?

He can have a send off for the Port game away from home when we need to lose to secure a higher draft pick.
Exactly. Been milking it for all its worth.
His sending off should’ve been Round 23 vs Collingwood last season. 4 goals. Done.
Now he’s that ornament covered with dust just taking up space.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ballas has done well enough out of freo. we've always been a soft club, about time we showed something bordering on ruthless!!!

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

One of the hardest working players the club has ever had. He can be bloody proud of his time here.

cardamon

Senior List
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lots of players doing bits and pieces with probably only Fyfe imposing himself for the full four quarters. I thought Duman was pretty good for 3 quarters, really physical and composed with the ball, so it depends how much you wanna focus on his mistakes in the last quarter. 2 of Banfield, Schultz and Carter out for mine for.. hmmm. Bewley I guess

At least I think Crowden is gonna be a player, some lightning fast handballs out of congestion and surely no one would suggest that he won’t be able to get faster and stronger at age 20 with pimples on his face to win maybe 10 more contests per game in the future. Has looked nervous but will settle down as he finds a role!

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of the hardest working players the club has ever had. He can be bloody proud of his time here.

Loved him when we were up and about. Him and Crowley were a big part of what made us great.

He then became a liability. He then played on for in my opinion 3 years too many.

If we were happy to move on guys like DeBoer, Barlow, Mzungu I’m happy for him to not receive a farewell. He’s not Pavlich, Sandi or Mundy.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Adelaide win next week, we are out of finals chances.

If Port win we are out as well.

If Adelaide win, put the cue in the rack and play Ballas. Their game is before ours.

Ports games starts 45mins before ours. If Kangas don’t turn up in the first 30mins

Late change Ballas in. Out Crowden.

Otherwise
Out out Duman, Shultz
In McCathy, Nyhuis

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Fairwell game for Ballas can go and get stuffed.
Chris Mayne debuted for us, developed through and played 172 games. He didn’t get any opportunity in his last season. Mayne has gone on to be better and in a different role.
What has Ballas done? Definitely should’ve been retired or told not renewing contract. He’s had a great career. But gee he’s not owned anything tbh.

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
If Adelaide win next week, we are out of finals chances.

If Port win we are out as well.

If Adelaide win, put the cue in the rack and play Ballas. Their game is before ours.

Ports games starts 45mins before ours. If Kangas don’t turn up in the first 30mins

Late change Ballas in. Out Crowden.

Otherwise
Out out Duman, Shultz
In McCathy, Nyhuis
For us to get 8th would have to win our last two, hope that Bullies lose (GWS and Adelaide). Hope Port lose (Roos and us) and Essendon lose (Collingwood and us). Also need Gold Coast or WC to beat Hawthorn.
If Port beat North, we could still make 8th on % if we smash the Bombers by 100 points and Port by 50 odd....Provided the above teams lose.....
Trying to remain half glass full....but is slowly emptying :(
I think Bulldogs will likely win their next 2 and sneak in....
Very Very slim chance for us really.
10 wins was a pass mark....

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
In: Nyhuis. Just like his debut play him as forward.

His job is prevent intercepting marks by leading up at the ball and in the air to bring the ball to ground.

Out: Schultz. I never want him in a docker jumper again.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
In defense of Duman.... yes he was a train wreck today but there is so much scope that a player like that can achieve.

The best like for like I could think of is Dylan Grimes, here's a comparison at the same age. You wouldn't be throwing Grimes out after 12 games.

Duman v Grimes
I usually judge more harshly after 30 games and 4 pre seasons.

At the end of next year, is the best to see where he sits.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
His fair well game should have been round 23 2018. Four goal performance against Collingwood and finished up alongside Spurr and Johnson. Dumb re-signing him for another season.
I think so.

The club tends to hold unto players way to long.

If Ballantyne played another role like Sandilands or Mundy it would make sense but being a small forward it’s a bad decision.

In fact, a few years ago we should traded him like Hawks did with Lewis and Mitchell.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Banfield is asked to play in that position which has cost many players their careers - defensive forward. No one is really suited to it because they are too defensively minded when they get the ball and look like a rabbit in the spotlight. Either play him in the midfield or at Peel.

Spot on. Most don’t see it or understand. His game today was a direct reflection of his role. He had at least 3 opportunities to have a shot at goal but on each occasion hesitated to try and find the “percentage play”. Our players outside of Walters and 1 or 2 others have this drilled into them and so are almost too scared to have a shot unless they’re straight in front from inside 30m!

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
The thing is I don’t think he’s a defender seems more a wing man, why do we play so many players out of position Duman Cerra and Blakely aren’t defenders ffs.
I feel bad about potting him, but it's a serious concern he's in the team. It speaks volumes about out depth.
-massively underweight
-no idea about defending goal-side
-turns the ball over in def 50 for gimmie goals
-horrible decision maker
-gets caught in no-mans-land
-misses targets consistently

Not since Dan Parker have we had a player who's had so much going against him, but gets games at AFL level...

HUGE off season coming up. 1/3 rd of our list is average/below average.
Spot on. Most don’t see it or understand. His game today was a direct reflection of his role. He had at least 3 opportunities to have a shot at goal but on each occasion hesitated to try and find the “percentage play”. Our players outside of Walters and 1 or 2 others have this drilled into them and so are almost too scared to have a shot unless they’re straight in front from inside 30m!
We missed a couple from 30 today anyway (and most weeks). May as well take the shot.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
In defense of Duman.... yes he was a train wreck today but there is so much scope that a player like that can achieve.

The best like for like I could think of is Dylan Grimes, here's a comparison at the same age. You wouldn't be throwing Grimes out after 12 games.

Duman v Grimes
Dylan Glimes was 90kgs by the time he was Duman's age. Duman is still 79kg.

Back