Preview Round 22: Changes Vs Essendon + Pre-match discussion

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
If we could delist Colyer this season I would but unfortunately that's a 3 year contract for you. Nyhuis needs to go too, list clogger at its best.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I get the people that think Sonny should be playing midfield, he is well above average boarding on elite in that area however finding an elite forward is one of the hardest things in the AFL. That's where I would be playing him but Sonny as a mid certainly isn't the worst thing we could be doing, far far from it.
if your midfield gets smashed, the forwards can’t kick goals.

We need to strengthen the midfield to allow Fyfe and Walters play more forward.

I think the issue is the back line.

Pearce,Logan,Wilson, Hamling and Ryan are very solid but the two remaining defenders are not up to it at the moment.

If we can either develop Duiman, Carter and Hughes into AFL standar, then it allows Blakely and Cerra to the play midfield.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
if your midfield gets smashed, the forwards can’t kick goals.

We need to strengthen the midfield to allow Fyfe and Walters play more forward.

I think the issue is the back line.

Pearce,Logan,Wilson, Hamling and Ryan are very solid but the two remaining defenders are not up to it at the moment.

If we can either develop Duiman, Carter and Hughes into AFL standar, then it allows Blakely and Cerra to the play midfield.

Duman is the man IMO, think he has a really really bright future.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m in two minds about him.

That mistake last week cost us making a final.

Is he dumb or inexperienced?

IMO we were never going to make finals regardless of the Saints game. It would have required us to win 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 games, the list and game style we are deploying was never going to be good enough to go on that type of run. But that's just my opinion and of course mathematically we were a chance but to say his mistake cost us making a final is a huge leap.

I was at the game sitting in level 3 and haven't bothered getting round to watching the replay so not fully aware of the particulars when it comes to that play however he does look like he has something. His coverage and movements in general look right unlike someone like Blakely who just looks completely lost at the moment.

I'm firmly in the Duman corner right now.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
IMO we were never going to make finals regardless of the Saints game. It would have required us to win 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 games, the list and game style we are deploying was never going to be good enough to go on that type of run. But that's just my opinion and of course mathematically we were a chance but to say his mistake cost us making a final is a huge leap.

I was at the game sitting in level 3 and haven't bothered getting round to watching the replay so not fully aware of the particulars when it comes to that play however he does look like he has something. His coverage and movements in general look right unlike someone like Blakely who just looks completely lost at the moment.

Had we beaten St Kilda we would’ve been 9th. Never in the mix? Please. That’s a defeatist style.
Duman needs to muscle up, he won’t last in AFL playing his role. He either plays as an intercepting key defender or a spare defender. He’s not going to last at his height with that body shape. Small forwards kill him, big forwards are too strong for him atm

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Had we beaten St Kilda we would’ve been 9th. Never in the mix? Please. That’s a defeatist style.
Duman needs to muscle up, he won’t last in AFL playing his role. He either plays as an intercepting key defender or a spare defender. He’s not going to last at his height with that body shape. Small forwards kill him, big forwards are too strong for him atm

I still don't think we would have made finals regardless, call it what you want I think it was pie in the sky type stuff.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

I was just right of the Freo cheer squad.

Duiman left Stevens and the ball came to ground and Steven with no pressure kicked to a leading player.

If Duiman stayed with Stevens, this wouldn’t happen.

Do I expect Duiman to make mental mistakes? Yes

When young guys makes mistakes, it can be inexperienced or they are dumb. Only time will tell.

I agree, Blakely was more disappointing. I expect less mental mistakes when you had 5 pre seasons.

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
I’m in two minds about him.

That mistake last week cost us making a final.

Is he dumb or inexperienced?
Understand that he is inexperienced but they should be drilled by a good backline coach on what not to do, i.e. 5 guys fly for the same ball week after week and leave someone over the back to swoop, Hughes panicks and kicks OOTF to hand shots to the opposition instead of feigning to keep it in or tackled going out of bounds, Blakely in 2 games not following his player to a cruical forward contest.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s not out of the possibility that we beat Essendon at Home and get a win against port away.

Agree however personally I never saw it happening. It was the same prior to the Bulldogs game, everyone talking up finals when we don't have the team to be winning 4 in a row or 5/6. The game style we are playing and the young list takes its toll quick.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Understand that he is inexperienced but they should be drilled by a good backline coach on what not to do, i.e. 5 guys fly for the same ball week after week and leave someone over the back to swoop, Hughes panicks and kicks OOTF to hand shots to the opposition instead of feigning to keep it in or tackled going out of bounds, Blakely in 2 games not following his player to a cruical forward contest.
It’s one of major frustrations is the ball watching. Duiman isn’t alone on that.

That’s one of my major criticism of Lyon, is that I don’t see the team understanding the concept of seeing both ball and man.

Is it the players fault or are they not being taught?

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I still don't think we would have made finals regardless, call it what you want I think it was pie in the sky type stuff.

I dunno about pie in the sky given Essendon's form and Port being as flaky as a jesters pie.

Not that we would have gone in favourites in Adelaide, but had we have beaten St Kilda finals were a realistic aim.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
okay had a think this is what should happen

Move conca from that defensive wing role to the backline we need the leadship there.
Mundy takes his place on the wing cause i love his kicking and i like hill as that half forward (who doesnt stay their) as that link player.
Cerra forward.
As cerra is shorter than mundy replace shultz with sturt to help out the height.

This balances up the young backline whilst not taking away from the other positions on the field.

Back