Preview Round 22 Changes vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about this season, the more I think that Tabs should play...even though by all reports his WAFL form hasnt been great.
Looking back over the season, our forward line looked to be functioning better with him in it....Maybe it was the leads up the ground that drew defenders, leaving our forward line a little more open. Maybe the drawing away of an extra man up against Pav...

Both these things. People fixate too much on him dropping marks and fail to see the positive impact he had on our forward structure.

We are 12-1 this year in games where Taberner played.
4-3 in games he didn't play.

Both these things. People fixate too much on him dropping marks and fail to see the positive impact he had on our forward structure.

Wow, gotta say that's a real streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch to suggest that such a minor player in our team influences games so much.

If you saw him play on the weekend, you would find it even more amusing (I wish it wasn't so though). I hope he plays this weekend, I think it will help, but I think you are overplaying his importance to the team.

Take Dawson out cause he's shhhh........te! Have three Yalls in the backline with Alex Pearce and put Tabs back in. At least he can bring the ball to ground and we have an extra tall there. Worth trying I reckon

Wow, gotta say that's a real streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch to suggest that such a minor player in our team influences games so much.

If you saw him play on the weekend, you would find it even more amusing (I wish it wasn't so though). I hope he plays this weekend, I think it will help, but I think you are overplaying his importance to the team.

It's not what he does so much as how his presence changes our forward structure. It allows Pav to play deeper which results in more goals. We are a 2 goal better side with Taberner in the team than without.

I tend to agree, just can't really figure out how to work it.

Do we play him and AP forward together?
Do we send AP back and drop Zac?
Does AP get the chop?
Drop Zac for a first year player in the finals isn't Ross' idea of fun. It has to be Plan C, drop AP. The backline is back to it's best, and Taberner has at least played in a finals series. Tabs offers more on the lead leaving Pav in full forward. That and Griffin taking another tall defender. Can't see Clarke breaking into this side the way Jon has been going unfortunately

Dawson has been fine. His job isn't to kick the ball & we had plenty of opportunities to win the game before his last kick.
The defense was rock solid early until we started consistently turning the ball over. Any defense will struggle with those repeat entries.

We haven't lost game this year when Fyfe plays well. I blame him.

Take Dawson out cause he's shhhh........te! Have three Yalls in the backline with Alex Pearce and put Tabs back in. At least he can bring the ball to ground and we have an extra tall there. Worth trying I reckon
Dawson is our FB, it is not his job to distribute. Having him in that position leaves McPharlin, MJ to be our interceptors which they are suited towards. All three of them are excellent at reading the ball coming in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think Tab and Pav up forward. AP back in defense....He can play tall or short back there.
Looking purely at stats...In the games we won quite convincingly early on, such as WCE, Melb. ,Dogs and North, he had 7 and 6 marks per game...Useful.
I think Pav with Pearce is OK. Only need Tabs if Pav isn't playing or AP is needed back. Now that Zac D and Luke are back, Johhno can play 3rd tall back and AP can stay forward. That's where we got found out against Eagles as well, because of Zac D's suspension MJ got exposed v Darling/JK and we had to send AP back, thereby robbing our forward line of it's second tall. Structure has been all f'd up for one reason or another for a while, either by brain fade suspensions, injury and poor team selection ...imho.

It's really only been wet every second weekend in WA.

Exactly right...we seem to cop the wet weekend each time. I know our style of play isn't conducive to high scoring but we seem to cop the wet weather at home more often than not which isn't helping.

I would like a statement to be made, once and for all.

Danyle Pearce had 12 touches and didn't lay a tackle. 10 touches the week before. Drop him or rest him but don't carry him. If it was a young kid they'd be gone.

Mzungu sadly was deplorable.

Sheridan also had his worst game, but we should persist with him... which means he'll be dropped.

DeBoer. Either start him or play him at Peel. If he plays sub role again I'll lose my s**t.

A Pearce. Love him but as a forward has questionably done SFA and had the best of conditions against relatively poor opposition. Taberner would arguably given us more under the roof and is a genuine forward.

Zac Dawson. See you. We were fine without you and although you were great for depth I don't think we need McPharlin, Johnson and Zac in the same team.

There needs to be very serious question marks over Mzungu, DeBoer. They are the most likely outs.

A Pearce,Sheridan, Dawson and D Pearce also need to earn their spot. That's the order I'd have them in, in terms of being dropped.

So do we go with 2 lame changes or drop 4 or 5.

Probably 3.

A Pearce. Love him but as a forward has questionably done SFA and had the best of conditions against relatively poor opposition. Taberner would arguably given us more under the roof and is a genuine forward.

Zac Dawson. See you. We were fine without you and although you were great for depth I don't think we need McPharlin, Johnson and Zac in the same team.
Agree with most of the other stuff but we really need Zac D. Jonno got away with playing second key tall most of the year but I don't trust him (no body pressure in marking contests) and he is much more valuable being more creative as the third tall.
AP got hung out to dry on the weekend with no other decent tall support, usually 2 v 1 and not ready for that yet but can play a role I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back