Review Round 22: Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, the bad & the Fugly

Making Michie a scapegoat is ridiculous. He was the least of our problems today, and it's fanciful to think Harmes would've been much better. Has turned the ball over repeatedly for three weeks running. His form didn't warrant keeping his spot.

I thought Michie was quite solid ball in hand.

I thought he was pretty poor defensively, Harmes certainly prioritises defending more.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Friendly reminder that we were the youngest team in the comp this week - average age of 23.0, average games played 61.0.

It's been that way for almost every round of this season and it's why I tend to get over our losses pretty quickly. It's a shame that we have these poor games but there really is just only upside for us.

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Friendly reminder that we were the youngest team in the comp this week - average age of 23.0, average games played 61.0.

It's been that way for almost every round of this season and it's why I tend to get over our losses pretty quickly. It's a shame that we have these poor games but there really is just only upside for us.
That'd be fine, but youth doesn't go hand in hand with effort
And it wasn't our youth who let us down the most today

That'd be fine, but youth doesn't go hand in hand with effort
And it wasn't our youth who let us down the most today

True - our entire leadership group was poor today bar TMac.

1MFC

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

What were Carlton's averages?

Carlton are competitive so i was expecting a hard fought contest. What i didn't see was our midfield getting served like we do to some other teams. Gawn had little influence and Cripps and Gibbs were always first to the ball. Disappointing, we looked tired and they did the same amount of travelling as us if not more. Unfortunately the little ray of light has finally been snuffed out and thus am left with nothing but next season. I know there is a game left but the soul sucking this afternoon leaves me with no interest at the moment. I do expect my mood to change during the week on this though

Yeah but we didn't have to be. The selections this week were unwarranted. Should have been pedo, Harmes and kennedy instead of weed, Michie and ANB.

If there is one thing i am pleased with more than anything believe it or not is the final siren. I sat there with blues supporters dancing around me giving it to me and i cast my gaze onto the MCG in disappointment, zoning out of the torrent of s**t i was copping from the feral blues supporters i had the unfortunate company of sitting with. My eyes see a Hogan kneeling at the forward 50, then on the wing a Stretch with hands on head. Finally my eyes fell on Bugg standing in the centre circle, he first with hands on head before they feel to his hips. He stood there for about 10 minutes and i sat there too watching him for that time, while the rest of players started to finally pick themselves up. For a moment out of everything around me, staring at Bugg who doesn't know i exist, i felt his pain was one with my own. Asides from the repositioning of his hands he didn't move and neither did i.

Sure i'm being poetic here but i felt the connection. We both knew we had blew it. Paul Roos may claim the one week at time mantra and the players may have played s**t, but Bugg knew as well as i and so did most of the playing group that we had just let slip an opportunity. After a while someone approached Bugg i can't recall if it was us or opposition but it broke him from his trance and thus mine. As i watched our players trudge off for what i knew would be the last time for me in 2016, i thought of the lone Bugg standing at the centre circle. We both felt like s**t, but i hate to quote my avatar but i know now that, that hate will make us stronger. I have no doubt after today this moment will be burned into the back someones head such as a Bugg and it will fuel them, it will anger them. For one last hurrah at Geelong, i'm not sure. But this bitter loss in the cold rain of winter will drive most of our players in the preseason to a bigger 2017.

So at the final siren i felt something, and this something is a mix of anger and disappointment. But i have a feeling that this will drive us

R_Grunter

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
Darwin
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne Football Club
NOBODY condemned the selections when they were announced but there have been so many saying shoulda this shoulda that. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Today was shithouse and it won't be the last. Carlton are a tough side, I'm not surprised at all. 100% thought that we were more likely to lose to Carlton than Geelong, it's the dees.
It's frustrating but this fair weather supporter s**t is rife amongst Melbourne supporters. It's a young side and the frustrations are far from over but the upside is so great for the next couple of years. Hang the negativity veils up, they are so 2012 ❤️

NOBODY condemned the selections when they were announced but there have been so many saying shoulda this shoulda that. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Today was shithouse and it won't be the last. Carlton are a tough side, I'm not surprised at all. 100% thought that we were more likely to lose to Carlton than Geelong, it's the dees.
It's frustrating but this fair weather supporter s**t is rife amongst Melbourne supporters. It's a young side and the frustrations are far from over but the upside is so great for the next couple of years. Hang the negativity veils up, they are so 2012 ❤️

Negative? Medical School Whooooooooo? The apprentice??

Personally Id say its more frustration and if you dont believe every clubs supporters get frustrated you have your head up your arse. (Much like the doctor). We here are no different to any other clubs supporters in times of disappointment, we have just had to put up with more of it than anyone else.

I do recall a few of us saying WTF when certain players were brought in this week. Sure we might not have gone on about it like a few of us today, but we hadnt lost to Carlton on Friday night either.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I woke up good and early to get into my nonchalant don't-care mode for the Carlton supporter I work with. I'm going to dress intimidatingly too.

Now I know what the Essendon loss was for. It makes my recovery time shorter and my coping mechanisms more robust. * Carlton.

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you're not angry/annoyed after a loss and willing to discuss the negatives, you're doing it wrong

This wasn't a loss to be positive about

Also many people questioned the selections, you not reading them doesn't mean it didn't happen (even my partner questioned them, Weid coming back with no VFL game time off an 'injury' ANB and Michie coming in when the outs did not match their playing style at all)

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Not one player looked fired up to play today. I was jumping out of my skin despite being sick as *. They were all just standing around like they were about to clock on for shift work. That and Billy Stretch turning into Toump for the day and I guess we were never going to win. Should have gone home as soon as Billy boy shat his pants. Worst part was that the players skills and decision making was worse than their intensity.

R_Grunter

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
Darwin
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Negative? Medical School Whooooooooo? The apprentice??

Personally Id say its more frustration and if you dont believe every clubs supporters get frustrated you have your head up your arse. (Much like the doctor). We here are no different to any other clubs supporters in times of disappointment, we have just had to put up with more of it than anyone else.

I do recall a few of us saying WTF when certain players were brought in this week. Sure we might not have gone on about it like a few of us today, but we hadnt lost to Carlton on Friday night either.
Being frustrated and doing a total 180 on your opinion of things within a week are very different. the forums were full of people polishing Paul Roos' and within a week they are bagging him like he has served a Ross lyonesque season. If you don't believe you're the type of fickle supporter that gives the club the bad name it has, you have your head up your buddies behinds.

R_Grunter

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
Darwin
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
If you're not angry/annoyed after a loss and willing to discuss the negatives, you're doing it wrong

This wasn't a loss to be positive about

Also many people questioned the selections, you not reading them doesn't mean it didn't happen (even my partner questioned them, Weid coming back with no VFL game time off an 'injury' ANB and Michie coming in when the outs did not match their playing style at all)
I was angry/annoyed. I also wasn't surprised. Nobody likes a fair weather supporter. If weid came out and kicked another 2 as he did on debut everyone would be praising the selection. Michie has been killing it in the VFL as many pointed out and were excited about. He rarely turns up in the seniors.
It was an uncharacteristicly bad day for many players.
If you were so against the selections you could've written a letter to the board mid week expressing your concerns and then your ideas might've held some weight but you wait until they lost and then flew in with the rest of the captain hindsight brigade pointing fingers.

R_Grunter

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
Darwin
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
image.jpeg

Being frustrated and doing a total 180 on your opinion of things within a week are very different. the forums were full of people polishing Paul Roos' and within a week they are bagging him like he has served a Ross lyonesque season. If you don't believe you're the type of fickle supporter that gives the club the bad name it has, you have your head up your buddies behinds.

Please show me proof of my opinion on anything changing. If you knew me, which clearly you dont, you would know i stick to my guns, happy to fly in the face of popular opinion..

Life isnt all rainbows and butterflies, if you cant handle some criticism from time to time, thats your problem not mine, ill happily and have given plaudits to many at the club this year including Roos, but that doesnt mean he is immune from making the occasional shocker now and then though. Ive put money into the club for 15 years, i wont stop having my say on things on big footy just to please you, sorry.

Last edited:

R_Grunter

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
Darwin
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Please show me proof of my opinion on anything changing. If you knew me, which clearly you dont, you would know i stick to my guns, happy to fly in the face of popular opinion..

Life isnt all rainbows and butterflies, if you cant handle some criticism from time to time, thats your problem not mine, ill happily and have given plaudits to many at the club this year including Roos, but that doesnt mean he is immune from making the occasional shocker now and then though. Ive put money into the club for 15 years, i wont stop having my say on things on big footy just to please you, sorry.
you don't fly in the face of popular opinion, that's the problem. Melbourne supporters need someone to blame. NOBODY is immune from having the occasional shocker. Problem for me is that they actually start questioning Paul Roos.
If anyone had THAT much of a problem with selection they would've made more of a fuss prior to the game starting.
You're not that important mate so I'm not going to start looking for evidence against you or whatever because I never said anything against you personally before you started comparing me to others and saying I had my head up my arse.

DemonTim

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was angry/annoyed. I also wasn't surprised. Nobody likes a fair weather supporter. If weid came out and kicked another 2 as he did on debut everyone would be praising the selection. Michie has been killing it in the VFL as many pointed out and were excited about. He rarely turns up in the seniors.
It was an uncharacteristicly bad day for many players.
If you were so against the selections you could've written a letter to the board mid week expressing your concerns and then your ideas might've held some weight but you wait until they lost and then flew in with the rest of the captain hindsight brigade pointing fingers.
Yeah, i'm with the other poster, can you show me proof of me changing my opinion

The club will not change it's selections based on a letter, what a stupid point

Weid shouldn't have been in because he's underdone. Michie came in to play a role that he doesn't play at casey (as did ANB). Michie has been killing it playing as inside mid at casey (rotating half forward flank), exactly the same as neal bullen. Yet they were brought back in to cover a running half back flank, and a forward pocket

Don't push your hindsight crap on me, I watch more casey than 90% of people on here, and know more about the clubs selections prior to it happening than most.

I don't believe I even posted on here after teams were announced (considering I was in a course all day friday, and was at casey development game/my clubs silly saturday on saturday). Quit making stupid assumptions that because you haven't spoken to someone about something, that you know their opinion.

DemonTim

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
you don't fly in the face of popular opinion, that's the problem. Melbourne supporters need someone to blame. NOBODY is immune from having the occasional shocker. Problem for me is that they actually start questioning Paul Roos.
If anyone had THAT much of a problem with selection they would've made more of a fuss prior to the game starting.
You're not that important mate so I'm not going to start looking for evidence against you or whatever because I never said anything against you personally before you started comparing me to others and saying I had my head up my arse.
So the crux of your argument is "I have no idea of your posting history, and i'm not going to check, but i'm going to accuse you of doing things"

How moronic

I never said anything against you personally before you started comparing me to others and saying I had my head up my arse.

If you think supporter venting after a tough loss is exclusive to Melbourne you do though. We will get over it, we always do, but in the heat of the moment stuff will be posted that doesnt take into consideration the entire picture. If you can overlook debacles like yesterday ,power to you, but just because some of us have a whinge doesnt mean we love the club any less than you do.

Bloody poor effort that. Very disappointing.
I don't subscribe to the "big head, complacency" argument as it was not Melbourne talking about finals, it was everyone else but that is just a game we should have won whether finals were a sniff or not.
If Viv Michie is on our list next year then I will spew. How was he considered? I'd prefer Grimes to have played if Harmes needed a rest, as least he's proven he can cut it at senior level.
And ANB, whilst played somewhat out of position, has shown again that, at this stage, he is a good VFL player in a good VFL side.
Just not up to it.
The umpiring was sh*t but we were sh*tter.
Hoges, fk me - if you are staying then I suggest you spend the Summer learning how to kick straight because comp forwards are going straight past you at the moment. Couple his attitude with kicking and and FFS, not looking good.
Gawn, Viney and Watts had their worst games for a while, if not the season which doesn't help.

Another thing. I don't know how people could rate Neal-Bullen over Harmes. Harmes does much more late in games and is a harder worker, even if he turns it over now and then.

Back