Review Round 22: Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, the bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the big glaring warning signs from yesterday was the ease with which teams can figure us out.

Let Gawn win a million hit outs, but if you can stop us getting wide with the ball at the clearance then you're pretty much 60% on the way to winning.

Their midfield slaughtered us in the first half and while the rest of the game was poor it was really the first that killed us.

Then the panic set in, and a young, panicked team that plays a flashy brand of football trying to bridge a 4 goal gap in the wet against some honest triers (and genuine stars) is never going to win.

17 game season will never happen
Maybe not at Casey. Stick to what you know. You have no idea about anything outside of Casey obviously. Just cool your jets Timmy.
17 game season 2023. Bookmark.

That was one of the most pissweak efforts ive seen from a melbourne side in living memory.

What hurt the most was that you could see it unfolding the way it did not 1 minute after the first bounce.

how a team of fearless competitors against Hawthorn can turn to water against ***ing carlton is beyond me but oh so ***ing predictable.

disgraceful and right up there with this years loss to essendon as one of the more disappointing efforts from a melbourne side

GOOD
  • Hunt and Jetta were both good defensively and offered some attack. Jetta's attack on the footy in particular stood out.
  • Our backline in general considering the amount of easy entries our mids allowed
  • Hogan. Obv. his goal kicking was bad but I'm not ready to bag out a second year, out of form KPF for inaccuracy. He took 14 marks and many were contested. Also handed off a goal to ANB(?) after marking in the goal square.
  • Tmac had a great game.
BAD
  • Selections, baffling
  • General intensity. We ended up winning the inside 50 count and had a better disposal efficiency (which is misleading because we had so many uncontested possies going to players under pressure) but we were just completely ineffective at attacking the F50 and goals.
  • I expected this. Finals was nice to talk about but it was never going to happen, we aren't there yet but will be with experience.
  • Dom Tyson, would of had 3-4 touches in the first qtr at 0% efficiency. He was garbage yesterday. Having a shot on goal from the forward flank when there were 2 players free 15 metres out was atrocious.
  • Gawn, Watts, Viney and Jones. Watts missing that sitter after taking a great grab was one of many indicators we weren't getting up yesterday.
FUGLY
  • We pride ourselves on the contest and clearances but any time another team out-pressures us we go to water and cannot sustain our game-plan. It's well and good to want to play our brand of attack but we had to do the hard stuff to get on top of the clearances first which we just weren't willing to.
  • Gibbs and Cripps violated us and the coaches gave their consent because nothing I could tell of was done to stop it.
  • Dylan Buckley kicked 3 drop punts. And they were goals too. You will not have a good day when he is nailing. Looks like Gollum and his kicking is uglier. Not yesterday though.
  • Lazy, not running, not spreading, not leading, playing dumb and not going in HARD. Blew a massive opportunity.
  • Umpiring was frustrating. I guess when you play like you aren't there the umpires act like you aren't there because we were literally getting nothing. Of particular frustration was that free for chopping the arms to hand them a goal and momentum back in the last minute of the first half. Only have ourselves to blame though, we played like utter s**t.

Maybe not at Casey. Stick to what you know. You have no idea about anything outside of Casey obviously. Just cool your jets Timmy.
17 game season 2023. Bookmark.
No it won't. The afl will not decrease gate revenue and television rights deals to appease a minority of fans. They are not going to give away ~20% of their revenue a year. That's called bad business
The VFL season aligns to the afl and finishes one week earlier, so if the afl did, the VFL would too

Keep digging though

There was a very Essendon feeling about this game. Especially with all the ridiculous fireworks and retirement stuff before the match haha* I hate that s**t (not the retirement stuff, it's important to show respect to the players but the hover craft and all that crap)

The team we played was up and about and HUNGRY for a contest and we were hoping to pad stats and boost percentage and forgot that in order to do that you need to put in a bloody effort and be hard at the contest.

There was a very Essendon feeling about this game. Especially with all the ridiculous fireworks and retirement stuff before the match haha**** I hate that s**t (not the retirement stuff, it's important to show respect to the players but the hover craft and all that crap)

The team we played was up and about and HUNGRY for a contest and we were hoping to pad stats and boost percentage and forgot that in order to do that you need to put in a bloody effort and be hard at the contest.
Yep. Most of us here were saying it last week, I worry more about the games we should win than the ones against contenders these days

I'd like an investigation into the correlation between the hovercraft doing donuts on the ground and the number of our players slipping over.

Something foul is afoot, methinks
Carlton doctoring pitches!

I'd like an investigation into the correlation between the hovercraft doing donuts on the ground and the number of our players slipping over.

Something foul is afoot, methinks

Agreed, the hovercraft was obviously a sinister ploy to befuddle our players and a poorly veiled charade via which Carlton inseminated the field with an anti-demon-balance solution. The AFL are probably in on it so an investigation would be inconclusive at best my friend. Anyone saying otherwise just won't listen to reason.

No it won't. The afl will not decrease gate revenue and television rights deals to appease a minority of fans. They are not going to give away ~20% of their revenue a year. That's called bad business
The VFL season aligns to the afl and finishes one week earlier, so if the afl did, the VFL would too

Keep digging though
You're a business consultant too? You're an impressive individual Tim. If they can have 17 weeks of near capacity games and more interest from televised viewers then they are looking at increased revenues and that is good business.
Less injuries, more star players available, higher intensity.
I'm not sure if they talk about that big business stuff down at Casey.

Agreed, the hovercraft was obviously a sinister ploy to befuddle our players and a poorly veiled charade via which Carlton inseminated the field with an anti-demon-balance solution. The AFL are probably in on it so an investigation would be inconclusive at best my friend. Anyone saying otherwise just won't listen to reason.
The fact that the hovercraft once ended up upside-down in the Yarra was obviously a clever ploy by the conspirators to make us think they were incompetent.

You're a business consultant too? You're an impressive individual Tim. If they can have 17 weeks of near capacity games and more interest from televised viewers then they are looking at increased revenues and that is good business.
Less injuries, more star players available, higher intensity.
I'm not sure if they talk about that big business stuff down at Casey.
Right.. I'm okay with the debate over 17 games, but stop the personal insults. No need for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right.. I'm okay with the debate over 17 games, but stop the personal insults. No need for it.
Cheers mate. Was getting a bit old. I think I'll quit now, he's not up for reasoned discussion

Cheers mate. Was getting a bit old. I think I'll quit now, he's not up for reasoned discussion
Be the bigger man and walk away but have a cheap comment on the way out. You were raised well.
Striker I only post for the sake of a friendly discussion but when people are condescending and use sentences like "you're a fool" or "you have your head up your arse" it's not good for anything.

Be the bigger man and walk away but have a cheap comment on the way out. You were raised well.
Striker I only post for the sake of a friendly discussion but when people are condescending and use sentences like "you're a fool" or "you have your head up your arse" it's not good for anything.
That wasn't a cheap shot. It was genuine, you came in Called people fair weather, called us captain hindsights, told us we changed our views and posted some stupid meme. It wasn't until after all that, that I called your point moronic (based on that you were claiming we had said things, but acknowledged you weren't sure if it was us saying it, and wouldn't prove it was said).
You weren't up for discussion from the start. Pretty much every post was either a direct attack or just talking down to people

You're not exactly coming from a friendly angle when you call anyone speaking negatively "fair weather" (I don't think there's a Melbourne supporter here that could be considered that. And I take that as a pretty decent insult considering my involvement over the years)

Don't be so dejected guys, you are a good side and steadily improving each year. These losses happen from time to time from a young team. You are a better side than us, but just had a bad day, like we had a bad day against The Lions the week before. You are 12 months ahead of us, and with continued growth and experience with your young side, next year and 2018 look very promising for you. Correct me if I'm wrong but your climb under the rebuild with Roos has been from 4 wins (2014), 7 wins (2015), and now 10 wins (Maybe 11) this year. Similar to our climb (4 wins 2015), (7/8 wins 2016). I have a soft spot for Melbourne, as my Brother-In-Law played nearly 200 games with them. Patience is required, and good luck in the coming years.:thumbsu:

Don't be so dejected guys, you are a good side and steadily improving each year. These losses happen from time to time from a young team. You are a better side than us, but just had a bad day, like we had a bad day against The Lions the week before. You are 12 months ahead of us, and with continued growth and experience with your young side, next year and 2018 look very promising for you. Correct me if I'm wrong but your climb under the rebuild with Roos has been from 4 wins (2014), 7 wins (2015), and now 10 wins (Maybe 11) this year. Similar to our climb (4 wins 2015), (7/8 wins 2016). I have a soft spot for Melbourne, as my Brother-In-Law played nearly 200 games with them. Patience is required, and good luck in the coming years.:thumbsu:
Thanks mate. Thought your blokes played well yesterday; comprehensively out ran us and were much smarter with the footy. I rate Bolton as a coach.

Good luck (but not too much etc)

Who is your brother in law? (If you don't want to answer that's fine :))

Barry Bourke, played in your last premership
Bit before my time haha
I would wish you luck but I just can't bring myself to. My ex was a Carlton supporter (and hooked up with a Carlton player while we dated). I have no love for them :p

That was one of the most pissweak efforts ive seen from a melbourne side in living memory.

What hurt the most was that you could see it unfolding the way it did not 1 minute after the first bounce.

how a team of fearless competitors against Hawthorn can turn to water against ***ing carlton is beyond me but oh so ***ing predictable.

disgraceful and right up there with this years loss to essendon as one of the more disappointing efforts from a melbourne side

I've said this multiple times to mates and none believe me... "As if you can tell whether you'll win or lose within the first couple of minutes" but seriously you can. Felt exactly the same way early in the Essendon game.

FFS.

That wasn't a cheap shot. It was genuine, you came in Called people fair weather, called us captain hindsights, told us we changed our views and posted some stupid meme. It wasn't until after all that, that I called your point moronic (based on that you were claiming we had said things, but acknowledged you weren't sure if it was us saying it, and wouldn't prove it was said).
You weren't up for discussion from the start. Pretty much every post was either a direct attack or just talking down to people

You're not exactly coming from a friendly angle when you call anyone speaking negatively "fair weather" (I don't think there's a Melbourne supporter here that could be considered that. And I take that as a pretty decent insult considering my involvement over the years)
You've taken it all out of contest. I'll quit now as you obviously can't have a reasoned discussion when one party does that.

Bit before my time haha
I would wish you luck but I just can't bring myself to. My ex was a Carlton supporter (and hooked up with a Carlton player while we dated). I have no love for them :p

That's ok, I understand. Everyone has a side who they don't particularly like, with me it's Collingwood and/or Essendon, occasionally Richmond. Obviously, my missus is a passionate Melbourne supporter, she went to the game yesterday, and was very disappointed like the rest of you guys. I reckon you are still on the right track, and being a young side with a plethora of midfielders growing in experience, you'll be a finals side soon. Maybe against us in the future?:D

You've taken it all out of contest. I'll quit now as you obviously can't have a reasoned discussion when one party does that.
I'm happy for you to explain the context, but you insulted a fair few people and kept at the insults when you got bites (a few posters seemed to negatively respond to you)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back