Review Round 22, GWS Giants vs Carlton, Spotless Stadium, Saturday August 29th, 1.45pm

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Now that we're out of the finals race, there's no pressure anymore to patch the team up for the sake of a win.

So what does Leon want out of this game? What would I want, if I were in his shoes?

Given what happened against the Swans, I'd probably want to know which players take it seriously enough to turn up and play in a meaningless game. That's an indication of character and maturity. It'll be handy to know that for next year.

As for the fans in Sydney, there won't be any more highlights this season, not even a maiden win against Carlton. Saturday is a chance to farewell the team. How many will turn up?

So whether it's the team or the fans, we're all going to learn something about ourselves on Saturday.

I'll see you at Spotless. :)

I really enjoyed the Carlton win on the weekend simply because it showed that maybe, finally, they're getting out of their organizational mindset that losing games is better than winning.

Having said that, I'm hoping for a 10 goal win. If the 18th placed team can do it, surely the Giants can! Especially since Carlton's absence of KPDs means one or more of Cameron (2nd in the Coleman at stake!), Patton and McCarthy could have days out.

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
I'd be giving a lot of the fringe players a go. We can't make finals and Carlton are trying to lose anyway. What it does do is gives the list managers from around the league to see what they can do and potentially increase their trade value if that is where they are heading. It is also an opportunity to see what talent can be unearthed at the highest level that hasn't has a shot yet. Anyone remember round 23 last year where a long-haired forward pulled off the green vest?

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I really enjoyed the Carlton win on the weekend simply because it showed that maybe, finally, they're getting out of their organizational mindset that losing games is better than winning.

Having said that, I'm hoping for a 10 goal win. If the 18th placed team can do it, surely the Giants can! Especially since Carlton's absence of KPDs means one or more of Cameron (2nd in the Coleman at stake!), Patton and McCarthy could have days out.
Did u enjoy the win or the fact u will now get the number 1 pick?.Genuine question not having a go at u:)

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd be giving a lot of the fringe players a go. We can't make finals and Carlton are trying to lose anyway. What it does do is gives the list managers from around the league to see what they can do and potentially increase their trade value if that is where they are heading. It is also an opportunity to see what talent can be unearthed at the highest level that hasn't has a shot yet. Anyone remember round 23 last year where a long-haired forward pulled off the green vest?
Agree.
Think Tomlinson in for Lobb
Plowman for Patful( only to give Plowman a go Patfuls been good)
Ahern or Pickett for WHE
Kennedy or Barrett or Townshend for Bugg
Hampton for Wilson.
Will be interesting how many guys they bring in

Did u enjoy the win or the fact u will now get the number 1 pick?.Genuine question not having a go at u:)

Don't like finishing last. I do like seeing clubs like Essendon and Carlton attempt to fix themselves, Melbourne too. Best thing for the league is to not have any walkover clubs and we've had too many for the last decade. With my Lions hat on though, I suspect pick #1 vs #2 is largely academic because Brisbane and Carlton have different intents.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
We play like we played on the weekend, Carlton will wipe the floor with us.

Agree it will be interesting to see what we do in response to the insipidness of Saturday and whether Leon will wield the axe.

Also very interesting to see Leon in the press conference when asked about Haynes and his subbing. "Nah, not injured." With a tone in his voice that seemed to carry a lot of meaning. I don't think Nick is his favourite person at the moment. Will definitely need to redeem himself during the week.

inamedthegiants

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Carlton are not Sydney, and we are not Melbourne. Have faith brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I backed a few winners at The Brewery TAB when I left just after the start of 3/4 time.

Decent day on the punt for a change.

I guess I should thank those inept drongos who played on Saturday for giving me the reason to hear there early.

Scully2Folau

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
WHE a possible out according to the afl.com.au injury update:

Giants youngster Will Hoskin-Elliott could be ruled out for the year after injuring his right hamstring at the weekend. Scans on Monday will determine his fate.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Members Appreciation Round

This weekend will see the GIANTS celebrate the 13,480 members who helped break our all-time membership record in 2015.

As part of the celebrations the players will wear a specially-designed jumper featuring the names of the almost 3000 foundation members of the club who are celebrating their five-year membership milestone.

Original GIANTS and current players Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Tommy Bugg, Curtly Hampton, Nathan Wilson, Jacob Townsend, Andrew Phillips, Tim Golds and Sam Schulz all feature on the jumper.

There will also be a pre-match lap of honour to celebrate those members who joined up in 2011. The game is a chance for the club to say thank you to every single GIANTS member who has helped build our club.

Just as well it's this week and not the derby. That would have been one hell of a message for the members.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hoping for a better performance on Saturday, Carlton missing several senior players so should be closer than earlier this year despite Giants being heavy favourites.
Can see an axe being yielded, a few injuries and a forward line that is not working.
WHE, Phillips definite outs, others could be
Haynes Injured during the game
Lobb (Not enough impact v the Swans
and possibly one of Patton McCarthy with the forward line not working very well even though McCarthy only played 1/4
50 games for Whitfield
2 more games left for the season, looking forward to 2 wins to end the season and just miss out on the finals

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Hoping for a better performance on Saturday, Carlton missing several senior players so should be closer than earlier this year despite Giants being heavy favourites.
Can see an axe being yielded, a few injuries and a forward line that is not working.
WHE, Phillips definite outs, others could be
Haynes Injured during the game
Lobb (Not enough impact v the Swans
and possibly one of Patton McCarthy with the forward line not working very well even though McCarthy only played 1/4
50 games for Whitfield
2 more games left for the season, looking forward to 2 wins to end the season and just miss out on the finals

Patton and Cameron have not really worked that great with each other and often get in each others way, while for most of this year Cameron and McCarthy have had real good chemistry together.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Patton and Cameron have not really worked that great with each other and often get in each others way, while for most of this year Cameron and McCarthy have had real good chemistry together.

Would be interesting to see how many games they have played together and what output they have had?
Although i think next year will be a chance to see the potential as they will be 5th year players and will be more physically able to match defenders and hopefully both play footy smarter

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
I reckon I have seen more link ups between Patton and Cameron when one is deep and one is further up the ground. They look good as a pair in these circumstances. Whereas Sunshine and Cameron seem to compliment each other with leading patterns when both are deep.

Previous years they worked better together with Cameron using the space in our 50 and Patton roaming further up field. No real surprise given Patton's year off that they and the coaching staff haven't worked out a set-up to best use both of them and McCarthy, the spanner in the works.

Back