Autopsy Round 22 - Post Match against Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Skills, skills, skills…

Better skills mean better accuracy in front of goal.
Better skills mean better quality forward 50 entries.
Better skills mean better ball control under fatigue.
Better skills mean that there’s less of a need to exert additional energy and effort.

There’s nothing more disheartening than giving great effort, then burning the ball time and time again.

We may as well be pushing sh*t uphill.

muzzington

Angry Anderson Batmobile Extravaganza
Jun 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
RuYH0.gif

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Everywhere I look I see dumb Fremantle footballers. Witches hats on the turn over, and boy oh boy so many turn overs. Going slow when they should go fast, going fast when they should go slow, taking possession when it should be tapped on, kicking to a contest instead of a lead, letting your opposition mark without you impacting the contest in any way. Poor decision making, poor skills, fumble bumble, dumb football.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
Somehow, trying really hard didn’t win us another game. I don’t understand.
I tried really hard at cricket , But had a batting average of 22 and a bowling average of 40 . Would have preferred it the other way around ;) In football i find if give it lace out to your opposition a lot no matter how hard you try you tend to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not really surprised, this is what we are. Great effort, terrible skills with seemingly no desire to change. The stats will look alright for a bunch of guys but we got pretty much all our ball in the back-half. Our reliance on Walters/Fyfe is just comical for a team that's supposed to be coming out the end of a rebuild. I just laugh at what we've done to Blakely's development.

We're going to end up bottom 6 once again. We're definitely improving but unfortunately everyone else seems to be improving as well at the same/faster pace.

Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not really surprised, this is what we are. Great effort, terrible skills with seemingly no desire to change. The stats will look alright for a bunch of guys but we got pretty much all our ball in the back-half. Our reliance on Walters/Fyfe is just comical for a team that's supposed to be coming out the end of a rebuild. I just laugh at what we've done to Blakely's development.

We're going to end up bottom 6 once again. We're definitely improving but unfortunately everyone else seems to be improving as well at the same/faster pace.
But as soon as we get one injury (despite that literally happening to every team) it will be referred to as the reason we lost.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just laugh at what we've done to Blakely's development.
I don't. He should be smashing it as one of our primary inside mids as he would be in any other team in the competition except the Ross Lyon school of lets make everyone do a 4 year apprenticeship in the backline.

Look forward to Sturt playing in a back pocket when he cracks a game in 2021 once his GPS stats and other KPI's are up.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
But as soon as we get one injury (despite that literally happening to every team) it will be referred to as the reason we lost.

Mate we lost - there is enough to criticise without being intellectually dishonest.

5 of our best ten players are out. You could argue that at least 2 of those are top five.

The reason we lost was poor skills. one injury as an excuse.. I wish we only had one injury.

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

You're spot on with your comment regarding Blakely. We had arguably the best midfield in the competition when he was drafted, so Ross tried turning him into a HBF to get him in the team. Now it seems like he's been pigeon-holed into that role and he's not great at it. His development as a midfielder has suffered too because of this.

Last edited:

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Our problem.....
We kick to space.... because we can’t hit a tit.
Skills are average, and players have no confidence to move create options because they don’t trust the skill set of their teammates.
It is like watching the drills in the preseason when they practiced corridor simulation and couldn’t string more than two passes together.
An element is cohesion and getting the group more time together, but it seems more structural and the structure breaks down from skill execution and trust in teammate capability.
Effort is definitely there but we breakdown consistently against well drilled teams

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
You have to be a special kind of s**t to win contested possession by 55 and lose by 5 goals.

You can't say the guys didn't try hard, the skills were just not up to standard and the game plan going inside 50 was rubbish.

There's at least a couple of players that have list clogger written all over them too.

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't. He should be smashing it as one of our primary inside mids as he would be in any other team in the competition except the Ross Lyon school of lets make everyone do a 4 year apprenticeship in the backline.

Look forward to Sturt playing in a back pocket when he cracks a game in 2021 once his GPS stats and other KPI's are up.
I don't get why we haven't given Sturt a game yet. We're rebuilding and he's playing WAFL so he must be over his concussion issues?

We had nothing to lose sticking him in the forward line tonight. The young fella could have given us a bit of spark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back