Autopsy Round 22 - Post Match against Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Dumb footballers pretending to be great athletes. I have no idea what Nyhuis have done this season to not play ahead of Duman. Honestly don't. He was awful today, especially in the first quarter. The defence greatly inexperienced. Blakey finally gets a midfield gig. The games over and in the last quarter

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't get why we haven't given Sturt a game yet. We're rebuilding and he's playing WAFL so he must be over his concussion issues?

We had nothing to lose sticking him in the forward line tonight. The young fella could have given us a bit of spark.
Indeed, how could anyone have been worse than Shultz? What's the point of having a bunch of mature types who help us get a stack more contested possessions than the opposition when none of them know how to kick a goal?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
While it sucks that we lost, the jumpers looked great. I know some people don't like some of the bad memories to go along with them, but geez, they've always looked better than our current gear.
No. Definitely no. The retro jumper is a joke. Great to bring out for a game But that's it. Purple and white is simple yet effective. 2012 was a big step forward and no looking back.

Aug 6, 2018
Karratha or Windsor Hotel
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
I listened to Nat Fyfe on ABC radio tonight after the game and could hear the disappointment and some anger in his voice at tonights result.
He was genuinely gutted and spoke of his hate and frustrationat losing..

He is an inspiration and I admire him greatly- he is getting smashed every week by opposition as a tactic-it would be nice to see someone stand up and dish a bit back to protect him

Unfortunately I fear that there are a few passengers on the Freo bus who are plodding, don't seem to have the passion or give a flying FF

and not following his lead.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I’m just numb. Why did they wait until the last quarter to let the dog off the chain? Sad for Sandi, Bella’s and the supporters. Surely the clubs taking the piss.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
I listened to Nat Fyfe on ABC radio tonight after the game and could hear the disappointment and some anger in his voice at tonights result.
He was genuinely gutted and spoke of his hate and frustrationat losing..

He is an inspiration and I admire him greatly- he is getting smashed every week by opposition as a tactic-it would be nice to see someone stand up and dish a bit back to protect him

Unfortunately I fear that there are a few passengers on the Freo bus who are plodding, don't seem to have the passion or give a flying FF

and not following his lead.

For the love of God the kid deserves a flag, would be more understanding if he left for Richmond.

4 years straight the arguable best player in the game has played for a bottom feeding non-entity. Pav, McPharlin, Sandi never got a flag and Fyfe won't with us.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
I don't get why we haven't given Sturt a game yet. We're rebuilding and he's playing WAFL so he must be over his concussion issues?

We had nothing to lose sticking him in the forward line tonight. The young fella could have given us a bit of spark.

This is the post game equivalent of 'just kick the thing' as if that is the solution to everything. Sturt started the year a fair way from AFL ready, then had two concussions and has been cotton-wooled since then, only getting to full speed enough for WAFL in recent weeks let alone AFL. What we had out there was basically as good as it gets.

The "young fella" would have been just as lost as half the other players out there, and there was pleanty of "spark" available given the occasion. We just weren't good enough.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. I understand we're all a bit jaded, but if that's the best the OP can come up with, then I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for the men and women who sat out in that and screamed and yelled.
I'm sorry for those who cheared when we kicked well
I'm sorry we got wet, but didn't care because 'we're Dockers'
I'm sorry we have heart
I'm sorry for Sandi
I'm sorry for Balla

I congratulate all those who are still 'real' Dockers.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
That was the epitome of effort over skills. What a terrible performance.

I've got no problem with effort, but ...

There's effort that is organised, on the front foot, takes calculated risks, plays with speed and intent ...
Then there's effort that is just huff and puff, that is so flat footed that the effort has to be all about chasing tail, that works hard to win the contested situations (certainly a good thing) then has no ability to be dangerous with ball in hand ...

If it was the first kind of effort, I can live with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
No. Definitely no. The retro jumper is a joke. Great to bring out for a game But that's it. Purple and white is simple yet effective. 2012 was a big step forward and no looking back.
It’s almost like.. taste is subjective. I for one love the retro jumper we wore today.

Not like we have anything else going for us. Certainly not a culture of success. The chevrons only represent getting close and then arrogantly falling off a cliff.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It’s almost like.. taste is subjective. I for one love the retro jumper we wore today.

Not like we have anything else going for us. Certainly not a culture of success. The chevrons only represent getting close and then arrogantly falling off a cliff.
2012 onwards have been fine. Ruthless. Club stood up and outgrew the immature 3 colours cartoonish stuff.

IT's a good retro jumper ronight. Modernised and clean. The logos were minimal yet effective.
It was just awful with the woolen jumper in the 90s. Tacky and never got taken seriously.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
We haven’t done anything ruthless and I am sick of people saying that.

Ruthless is cutting dead wood before it starts rotting.

Ruthless is putting your foot down on the opposition’s throat when you’re up instead of ‘saving yourself for next week’ like we did 2013-2015.

Sacking Harvey and picking up Lyon was textbook Steve Harris being a shortsighted campaigner. When it didn’t pay off instantly he rode off into the sunset before it turned to s**t like he always does.

This club has no soul.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just want to say I really think Blakely is heavily overrated on here. Please don’t give me the playing out of position bull.

His disposal is iffy, he’s slow, ordinary turning circle and seems to want to make the right decision out there but doesn’t have the ability to execute it.

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is the post game equivalent of 'just kick the thing' as if that is the solution to everything. Sturt started the year a fair way from AFL ready, then had two concussions and has been cotton-wooled since then, only getting to full speed enough for WAFL in recent weeks let alone AFL. What we had out there was basically as good as it gets.

The "young fella" would have been just as lost as half the other players out there, and there was pleanty of "spark" available given the occasion. We just weren't good enough.
Our season was cooked before this weekend. We were never going to fire a shot even if we made finals so the context of the game didn't have much meaning beyond the obvious retirements & Walters' 150th. What reason was there then to not bring in our prized 2018 1st round draft pick for our last home game of 2019?

A lot of posters (including myself) have been lamenting our lack of depth. If this is a 'just kick the thing' attitude then yeah, this is the attitude the club should be taking at this point of the season. Let's give our high draft picks as much time as possible to develop in the 1st's with the appropriate senior support around them provided they are fit, which I understand Sturt is now.

From memory he's a half forward with a bit of x-factor. He would have been the 2nd or 3rd tallest player in the forward line tonight. Yes, he might not have set the world on fire if he played but both he and the club would have been better for the experience given the circumstance.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Our season was cooked before this weekend. We were never going to fire a shot even if we made finals so the context of the game didn't have much meaning beyond the obvious retirements & Walters' 150th. What reason was there then to not bring in our prized 2018 1st round draft pick for our last home game of 2019?

A lot of posters (including myself) have been lamenting our lack of depth. If this is a 'just kick the thing' attitude then yeah, this is the attitude the club should be taking at this point of the season. Let's give our high draft picks as much time as possible to develop in the 1st's with the appropriate senior support around them provided they are fit, which I understand Sturt is now.

From memory he's a high-half forward with a bit of x-factor. He would have been the 2nd or 3rd tallest player in the forward line tonight. He might not have set the world on fire if he played but both he and the club would have been better for the experience given the circumstance.

Yeah, I think I see your point. If say Sturt plays, at least that's some exposure for a player we're hoping becomes a key component in coming years and, who knows, may have given us some positive output; at least that's something salvaged from a disappointing game, that seems to be what you're saying. I didn't quite read your post like that.

Either way, he had a massive setback with those concussions and has been average from little I've seen/heard at WAFL level since. I've got no problems with the club holding him out until he's got his mojo back and a full pre-season under his belt. Odds are there was little to be gained by playing him.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just want to say I really think Blakely is heavily overrated on here. Please don’t give me the playing out of position bull.

His disposal is iffy, he’s slow, ordinary turning circle and seems to want to make the right decision out there but doesn’t have the ability to execute it.
Hes gone backward, some people rate players by projecting, some rate players on body of work only. Outside of injury Blakely was tracking really well a year ago him being rated wasnt based on nothing, at the same age he was better than all of logue cerra and brayshaw anyway something has gone wrong.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Only 2 pages?

Nobody cares anymore.

Members and fans are becoming desensitized and disillusioned with this Fremantle team and are dropping away, you can't show me any stats or figures to convince me otherwise.

I turned it off with half the fourth to go. Just couldn’t watch anymore. The one play I simply cannot stomach anymore is where there’s a group of players, we win the ball, handball once and that player kicks it randomly forward or almost straight up. Why not look for the handball to the advantage of a player to the outside? Break the game open. Most teams do this. Oh wait, there is no player in the outside because they get sucked into the contest leaving the opposition free and clear. Drives me nuts.

At least with a loss comes a higher draft pick... silver lining around the

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back