bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Everyone's talking a Richmond or Eagles grand final. I can easily see an outsider come in and make the GF. Imagine if it's the Dogs or even Hawks?

As for this game, I'm thinking we have an explosive game to break down their defence. That's the only way anyone will ever score against them, really. I can see us winning by 20 points.

Funny I was had a nervous thought about Robbo in these circumstances earlier today, with him putting a hip and shoulder on Ablet Junior and get's weeks for it.
Call me paranoid about the Judiciary.

Head over the ball in a fierce attack on the footy for the first 15 minutes and blow them away

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
12263F1C-B3E1-44A0-891F-636942EDF0E3.jpeg

Edit: Let’s see Chris Scott whinge about this!

Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
Gee Alex Witherden was so impressive in his presser today, spoke with a maturity and assuredness beyond his 20 years of age.

Couldn't agree more, he spoke like a 10 year veteran, I even thought Captain material when listening, if you didn't know who he was you could think he was a coach

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He'll be lobbying for an massive upping of climate change funding for the Gabba area, expect him to be on Q&A this week along with Bob Brown, Brian Cox and Tim Costello pushing his case.
Watch them walk into the shade at 3qtr time :)
Be interesting how they go in the heat.. Last hot day in Melb was a long time in April :)

AFL360 did someone from the lions do something to Gerald Smugface or something.
Has not rated us all year.

Top 8 sides played.. Cats had a good run since the bye and still losses.
Cats (6) : pies, giants, eagles, bombers, tigers since bye power: Lions to go so 7.
Lions (6) : Eagles, Port, Bombers, pies since bye Giants, power(2) : Cats/Tigers to go so 8.
Eagles (7) : Lions, GWS, Pies, Power, Cats all by round 6. since bye Bombers, Pies (2) : Tigers to go so 8.
Tigers (8) : pies, giants, power, bombers, cats.. since bye giants, power(2) , pies(2) : Eagles/Lions to go so 10
Pies (9) :cats, tigers, eagles, lions, bombers, power.. since Bye eagles, giants, tigers (2) : finish Bombers so 10

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s funny really - the football fraternity as a whole and the media really don’t seem to give us a chance in this game!
But Sports Bet have us as $1.78 favourites?
It's all to do with probability . We've won 8 of 9 at home . The bookies think we're a really good chance at home whoever we play.

Oct 17, 2012
Midland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The first few episodes yes. I would class it as Sci-fi with some humour. Still available on SBS on demand from Season 1.
Spot on, I'm not a fan of Seth MacFarlane's work in general, but The Orville pleasantly surprised me.

IMO it manages to capture the spirit of TNG quite well, unlike a certain other series...but that is a rant for another day.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 17, 2012
Midland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Were you saying that in 2001 after finishing top 4? Its anyones cup on the day.
The big difference is that the Lions of 2001 had significant finals experience prior, we don't.

I can't recall a team in modern footy that won it all without previous final experience as a team.

So in the unlikely event of us winning it all, we'd have to make history.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The big difference is that the Lions of 2001 had significant finals experience prior, we don't.

I can't recall a team in modern footy that won it all without previous final experience as a team.

So in the unlikely event of us winning it all, we'd have to make history.

Bulldogs, Richmond?

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought that Chris Scott's comments wouldn't have reflected the Cats players' thoughts about our team but even Dangerfield said that "we will find out about them and they will find out about us". They seem quietly confident and I don't think that's justified and can't bloody wait to see what they bring against our side who deserve a lot more respect.

Great players go to another level in the big occasions and we need to show that our best and all playing roles in our gamestyle will beat good defences and pressure the best sides in September. To win I anticipate we will need to move the ball deeper inside 50 in a way that limits their ability to intercept mark and Christensen and McCarthy both cause headaches, our midfield pressuring forward (Zorko, Lyons, Neale so deadly) will get more goals and it will allow Hipwood, McInerney and McStay to lead up a few more times than usual at times as the game goes on. Watch out Cats, McCluggage and Rayner are coming up

This year we have shown that we can win from behind, win close, be clinical, be ruthless, regularly find teammates in better scoring positions, kick goals out of nowhere, take opposition game away from them, and put on a show. Noones been talking about how good the Cats are, they've been off, they are wobbly and they know it.

Lions by 28 points.

I thought that Chris Scott's comments wouldn't have reflected the Cats players' thoughts about our team but even Dangerfield said that "we will find out about them and they will find out about us". They seem quietly confident and I don't think that's justified
With a Geelong hat on I can see how being quietly confident seems reasonable. When was the last time they lost to us? They'd be tipping themselves and to be honest I'm a bit surprised we're favourites - I doubt we would be at a neutral venue.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could just be my general dislike of the Cats arrogance but i just don't see how they think they can benefit from being so dismissive, it's a narrative that i don't think will help them when the ball is bounced

Jubair

Club Legend
Oct 27, 2004
The Gabbatoire
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With a Geelong hat on I can see how being quietly confident seems reasonable. When was the last time they lost to us? They'd be tipping themselves and to be honest I'm a bit surprised we're favourites - I doubt we would be at a neutral venue.

As former Geelong coach Mark Thompson told a young Geelong team back in 2004 (before their home match against Brisbane, having not beaten Brisbane since the mid-90s), "we will beat them sometime in the future, might as well be today".

Past playing history can evaporate very quickly. Just ask the Brisbane team of 2001 when they beat Essendon at the Gabba in round 10.
Dangerfield and the rest of the Cats can be confident of past performances but this will be a different Brisbane team they will face from the past teams they've played.

It'll be a great game on Saturday!

Everyone's talking a Richmond or Eagles grand final. I can easily see an outsider come in and make the GF. Imagine if it's the Dogs or even Hawks?

As for this game, I'm thinking we have an explosive game to break down their defence. That's the only way anyone will ever score against them, really. I can see us winning by 20 points.
The poll on the Cats board has you as slight favourites, that would be about right.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Some of the annoying commentary in recent days has been that we haven’t beaten anyone of note in recent weeks but the Dogs are close to the form team of the comp and successive wins on the road against GWS and Port demonstrate that we aren’t just knocking off easy beats.

That being said, I’d love nothing more than shutting up the talking heads and rolling Geelong on Saturday and ticking off another hoodoo of ours.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Anyone know when the boys will train this week? I’m assuming it’d be around 10am on Friday?

Some of the annoying commentary in recent days has been that we haven’t beaten anyone of note in recent weeks but the Dogs are close to the form team of the comp and successive wins on the road against GWS and Port demonstrate that we aren’t just knocking off easy beats.

That being said, I’d love nothing more than shutting up the talking heads and rolling Geelong on Saturday and ticking off another hoodoo of ours.

Yep.

This actually isn't the biggest test we've had this season. Winning or losing this game doesn't mean anything more than the results against GWS, Port, Western or Hawthorn. Geelong are top of the ladder by dint of their form in the first half of the season, which really doesn't mean much now.

The result of this game might determine if we get a home final in week one, so that's obviously very important. But there's no deeper symbolic or psychological meaning here. Whether we win or lose won't make us fundamentally more or less capable of beating top four teams in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back