Preview Round 22 Preview: Brisbane v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next year we'll probably have to play the Pies Geelong Richmond and Eagles twice while only playing the Hawks Suns and Blues once

We'll get the Suns twice, but after the low key whinging about our fixture I'm fully expecting us to get as tough a draw as possible otherwise.

But maybe we also get a few Friday night games.

I am pretty sure as a top six team you can only get a maximum of 3 other top six teams twice.
Further to that!

“Top six: Clubs ranked 1-6 on the 2015 ladder will have a minimum of two and maximum of three return meetings with other top six clubs. They will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 7-12. They will have either no return meetings or a maximum of one return meeting with clubs ranked 13-18.”

Last edited:
I have no problem with us getting tough draws. If we want to build a dynasty, that is part of the parcel. Bring on any team, anywhere.
Maybe another Blockbuster or 2 at the Gabba, no harm in that and great for the bottom line for the club!

Next year we'll probably have to play the Pies Geelong Richmond and Eagles twice while only playing the Hawks Suns and Blues once

I am not that worried. Half the time the top 6 teams end up with champion data giving them a similar difficulty rating to the lower teams.

This whole notion we were gifted the easiest draw in history is a complete lie. It was a reasonable draw, on the ore difficult end of those that finished in the bottom section of the ladder.

This easy draw blah blah is complete BS. We have to travel everywhere . The Tiges have their last 7 at home and then into finals. Apparently that's cool.

If we want to be a top side from outside Victoria this is what we're going to cop as long as we're successful . Collingwood a couple of other clubs and in the end the AFL themselves mounted a concerted whinging blitz the last time we were a successful club that went a fair bit of the way to ending our domination . Plus our own hubris in thinking it could go on forever. Let's not make that mistake this time.

If they bring back any sort of retention allowance it won't last long if we win a flag.

This week seems to be going awfully bloody slow, getting impatient for this game, I really want a sunny summer like afternoon come 2.10pm on Saturday, if so I can't see the Cats handling the heat or the manic pressure from us.

I don't think the boys will make the same mistake we made v the Magpies earlier in the year and be too hyped up too early for the game, in the media appearances I have seen this week from the likes of Zorko, McStay, Witherden and Robinson the boys have a steely determined resolve about them. I think our pressure and intensity will go to a new level this game that will have the competition in awe, I'm confident of a very good performance this weekend and I think that will be enough for a win.

This week seems to be going awfully bloody slow, getting impatient for this game, I really want a sunny summer like afternoon come 2.10pm on Saturday, if so I can't see the Cats handling the heat or the manic pressure from us.

I don't think the boys will make the same mistake we made v the Magpies earlier in the year and be too hyped up too early for the game, in the media appearances I have seen this week from the likes of Zorko, McStay, Witherden and Robinson the boys have a steely determined resolve about them. I think our pressure and intensity will go to a new level this game that will have the competition in awe, I'm confident of a very good performance this weekend and I think that will be enough for a win.
With the Ekka Public Holiday today, I spent most of the day wondering why there wasn’t a game of footy on today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got really wound up by the "great" bt's (intentional lowercase) dismissal of the Lions and their opponents.

Spewing forth his usual off the top of his head pronunciations, which all others on the superfooty dumbcast dutifully accepted as fact.

Here is exhibit A..... the FACTS

I have totaled the ladder position of the previous round for all opponents (first ignoring the result, then for the wins)

Key points relating to the current top 4 (on the above metric)
  • West Coast had the "hardest" draw (then Lions, Cats, Tigers)
  • Lions had the best results against the higher ranked opponents (then Eagles, Tigers, Cats)
  • Eagles played the most top 8 teams (9), then Tigers (7), Lions (6), Cats (5)
  • Lions and Eagles both played the most top 4 teams (4), the Tigers and Cats only played 2 each
There are some other key timing highlights.
  • Lions beat the "dangerous" Bulldogs 1 week before they thrashed Essington. A fact that seems to have been lost in the Melbourne fishbowl (ie. goldfish with short memories).
  • The Lions* and Cats have the equal longest streak of W this year (8).
  • Port and Cats* have a run of 9 alternating WL results in 2019
*Still active:eek:

I could go on....but its probably pointless

It felt good finding the facts though:cool:

Attachments

• Lions-PuttyTats-Weagles-Tiggers.png
    Lions-PuttyTats-Weagles-Tiggers.png
    292.7 KB · Views: 127
As much as I don't want it to happen, I won't be throwing Teddy in the dirt if we lose this one.

We can talk all we like about skills, playing better footy, form and styles... but there really will be more to this game than the last few. This is our chance to really test ourselves. Regardless of recent games Geelong sit 1 for a reason. This is finals footy 2 weeks ahead of time.

Maybe the mental aspect of the game is hard to quantify, but it sure as hell exists. Our Carlton game is a massive example as has been stated repeatedly by a number of players. The Geelong game is another risky game - not for under estimating the opponent, but for letting the outcome of the game determine our readiness for finals and finals success.

A loss now could either make us or break us. It will either show us what we need to do to be better in the cauldron and handling pressure, or it will burst our bubble. I think we've reached the point with this group that it will be the former - and like the Carlton game that won't be the worst outcome.

Maybe I'm a sadist but I'd almost prefer a loss now so that we don't skate into the finals thinking it will be easy.

Having said all of that I hope we kick some serious ass on Saturday, and flog Richmond next week!

According to the BOM, it will be sunny on Saturday with a max of 28 degrees so you should get your wish.

The immovable object (Geelong) versus the irresistible force (Brisbane) - who will win?

The only thing that worries me is that Geelong definitely regained attacking proficiency as their game against the Kangaroos progressed - but then the 🦘 concede plenty so not sure how much that means. I also expect Geelong's defence to be stingier than that of any other opponent we've played recently - their decline has mostly been down to their forwards losing form and their attacking structure breaking down or being worked out.

The fact that the Vic knobs are getting worked up into a tizzy trying to discredit the Lions can only mean one thing

View attachment 726641
It's like if they pull the Bed covers over their eyes the big bad Lions will go away and didn't really exist.
I'll also add , the segment "The colour of your jumper"
The click bait is , " New dynasty ", but their talking about the Bulldogs, ffs.
Silly me thought they may of been talking about us.

According to the BOM, it will be sunny on Saturday with a max of 28 degrees so you should get your wish.

The immovable object (Geelong) versus the irresistible force (Brisbane) - who will win?

The only thing that worries me is that Geelong definitely regained attacking proficiency as their game against the Kangaroos progressed - but then the 🦘 concede plenty so not sure how much that means. I also expect Geelong's defence to be stingier than that of any other opponent we've played recently - their decline has mostly been down to their forwards losing form and their attacking structure breaking down or being worked out.

Last time the immovable object met the irresistible force, we know what happened....

I can't help feeling a little bit confident about this game and the last time I felt the same way Collingwood happened so it's quite unsettling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back