Preview Round 22 - St.Kilda v Brisbane Lions Friday 12th August.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When: Friday, 12th August 2022 7.50pm

Where: Marvel Stadium

maxresdefault.jpg

The Glass? Mine is in the recycling

To say this is a danger game for us is an understatement. The way things have been going for Lions supporters, it is hard to know whether to laugh or cry. Since our Round 9 win over Adelaide, when we were sitting on an 8-1 record, we have strung together a LWLWLWLWWLW sequence. In that run there were wins that felt like losses and key defeats against Fremantle, Melbourne and Richmond. These losses have cemented the view in the minds of many in the football fraternity that Brisbane are down hill skiers, with a worsening record of choking or failing to close out big games. In this respect, I have to declare my hand, because I attended the Melbourne game and am still carrying the residual pain of seeing us turn up and play like it was 2015 again.

That said, we are playing St.Kilda this week and if ever there was a team who have made an art of trolling their own supporters, it is the Saints. As far as ‘head to head’ goes, we have a good record against St.Kilda since 2019, having won 3 out of 4. This almost gives me a sense that we have their measure, but it really does depend which St.Kilda turns up and more importantly, which Brisbane team we get to see on Friday night. A little nagging voice in my head keeps running the same equation over and over:

Brisbane Lions + Friday Night Football + National Audience + Desperate Need for Win + Game in Melbourne = Wet Bed.

This game typifies what is known as the TIPSTER’S NIGHTMARE!

All that said … I expect that the Lions will win this one, but I also expect to run the full gamut of emotions along the way.

When we last met it was:

Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Limited, trading as the Brisbane Lions

Defeating

St.Kilda

In that clash Neale played a blinder with 37 disposals and seven clearances, McCluggage racked up 33 touches with seven clearances also, Lyons had 29 touches and five clearances, Rich had 26 disposals and Berry was damaging with 25. Daniher also chipped in with 3 goals.

Anyone see the theme? Anyone see why my glass is filling the more I think about it and why I think we will win?

We beat St.Kilda comfortably when we last met because our SENIOR PLAYERS STOOD UP and I am expecting to see the same again. Never mind Chris Fagan, people can expect ZORKO to really put it to the team this week. Zorks is a proud footballer and as his body improves, I am expecting him to really make his presence felt again as a Captain and an on-field leader. Just look at his reaction on the weekend when Zac Bailey kicked a great goal and Zorko went the full ‘man cuddle fall about and roll around’ celebration’. This sort of energy is infectious and Zorko brings it in spades!

Losing Ah Chee is a big negative, after he was taken out by a Patrick Cripps ‘dog act’ but we have depth, and I would expect that either, Cockatoo, Prior or Madden will come in for him. Adams may or may not play, but again, we have RYAN LESTER in sparkling form in the reserves and his ELITE contested football numbers should see him slot straight in if Adams doesn’t come up.

It was good to see McStay get among the goals and while there were a few ‘cheapies’ in there, he is such a confidence player that he just might back up with a good game. I am also expecting Hipwood to continue his great return to senior footy and Charlie Cameron is due to get off the leash.

If we are being objective, we really have St.Kilda covered all over the park, but if we snooze … we lose. I know they are as hard to read as an Ingmar Bergman film, but we do need to respect players like Crouch, Hill, Ross, Sinclair, Marshall and Steele, because if they get going, they can be damaging.

Anyroad, I’ll be there with my son on Friday night cheering the Lions on and I expect to win and win well.

LIONS BY 47 Points.

Last edited:

We should have them covered up forward and down back. Midfield contest will be of interest as I think they are pretty decent in there.

Should be an entertaining game.

would like to see andrews back up his great performance on mckay by being given the job to play on king, performed well in the matchup early in the year and could give him big confidence coming into finals. feel like if he wins that matchup st kilda have few other avenues to kick goals with their outs

Flying down for this one, my first time back in Melb since before the big C hit. Will also need to get in a couple of steamed dimmy's from the Sth Melb market.

Where do most supporters get seats (areas)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Havent checked the stats but since Matho has come in, our contested and clearances situation appears to have gone up a big way, even our aggression at the contest (despite the fadeouts). Has been a great inclusion.

Can't wait for Matho to take on Oliver in a shutdown role in Round 23.
But I'm getting ahead of myself - Saints first, C'mon boys !

Be pretty sweet to win this one and set up a massive game the following week in a winner takes all game (or at least a double chance anyway). Just hope the players aren’t looking that far ahead though. We aren’t a good enough team to be getting ahead of ourselves especially against a team who is also fighting for their season. Nope, take care of business on Friday then look ahead to Melbourne.

I'm still not sure if Rich is our best option down back anymore but he played well last game and couldn't/shouldn't be dropped after his performance. I would imagine the 2 week break does an old body a lot of good and coming at the tail end of the season maybe his body really needed it.

Be nice not to get over run or almost if we up by 6+ goals.
My blues mate said well done at three quarter time.. I said we still have one to go. He laughed.. We then had 6 straight kicked against us

Havent checked the stats but since Matho has come in, our contested and clearances situation appears to have gone up a big way, even our aggression at the contest (despite the fadeouts). Has been a great inclusion.

Reckon he’d have been a real help in the first game against Melbourne. We got battered in contested footy and clearances.

Hopefully he is one of many who can impact that game and give us a crack at a top 4 finish.

We should flog the Saints given we're a better team than them in almost every aspect, however our lapses in games are costing us. I think we'll play well enough to win, but not well enough for long enough to put on a huge margin.

Lions by 30+

Lions to get a 90 point lead late in the third and win by 20.

;)

Well that would make for a somewhat predictable (if sadly repetitive) line of posting on the GameDay thread! ;)

Especially if the 90 point lead would have moved us into the top four on percentage!!!!

Flying down for this one, my first time back in Melb since before the big C hit. Will also need to get in a couple of steamed dimmy's from the Sth Melb market.

Where do most supporters get seats (areas)?
Most docklands games opposition teams give us a designated lions area in GA on level 3. Keep an eye on match day info on website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back