Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Round 22: GWS Giants v Sydney Swans

When: Saturday, August 18, 4:45 PM

Where:
Spotless Stadium
Swans have a 3-1 record at Spotless with the only loss back in 2014. I’ve blocked the whole of 2014 out. That season never happened.

Weather: Warmer than Melbourne

Battle of the Bridge - Number 15.

Giants need the win to secure a top 4 spot while the Swans need to win to keep the top 8 chances alive. This will be biggest clash since 2016 finals between these teams.

CURRENT FORM
Giants have only lost once since May and that was too the Eagles in Perth (only really good teams win there). The media darlings the Tigers and the Hawks have taken the limelight, but the Giants are genuine premiership contender. They have won at home and away against top 8 and the rest. It’s like they deserve to be third on the ladder with a percentage of 120.4.

Sydney with the season faltering have managed to grab a couple of wins against the Pies and Demons to take control of their own destiny in the last two weeks. The Swans played with free-flowing ball movement last week which has not been seen for some time. With an 8-2 away record this year the Swans like to travel. This will be the shortest distance travelled but take the longest time to get there.

INJURIES

GWS GIANTS

Jon Patton (knee) — season
Tom Scully (ankle) — season
Will Setterfield (knee) — season
Lachie Tiziani (knee) — season
Zac Williams (Achilles) — TBC
Aiden Corr (groin) — 1 week
Brett Deledio (calf) — TBC
Sam Taylor (hamstring) — 2 weeks
Dawson Simpson (ankle) — 7 weeks
Toby Greene (hamstring) — 2 weeks
Nick Shipley (ankle) — 6 weeks
Heath Shaw (knee) — Season
Sam Reid (hamstring) — TBC
Matt de Boer (hamstring) — TBC
Josh Kelly - TBC

SYDNEY SWANS

Matthew Ling (toe) — season
Lewis Melican (hamstring) — 4 weeks
Callum Mills (broken foot) — season
Sam Naismith (knee) — season
Sam Reid (Achilles) — 2 weeks
Gary Rohan (hand) — test
Jack Maibaum (knee) — 3 weeks
Harry Marsh (hamstring) — 1 week
Alex Johnson (knee) — season
Nick Smith (back) — 6 weeks
Kurt Tippet – Forever and ever

Giants win the injury list. A big out for them is Greene which is fortunate for us given Smith is also missing. Sadly, both Sam Reid’s are injured, it’s like the Reid name is cursed.

KEY MATCHUPS:

Sinclair v Lobb
Both performed well last week against more seasoned rucks. Sinclair nullified Gawn around the ground. Lobb racked up a large number of hit outs to advantage over Jacobs. Should be an even contest given both are more forward/ruck than genuine rucks.

Kennedy vs Ward
Two captains who carry their midfields each week. Not sure they will play on each other but it is captain vs captain.

Franklin v Davis
Phil Davis will wear Franklin like a glove which is ok if your defender. They always have a good contest and this should be no different. Franklin should kick a coupe at the least.

Rampe vs Cameron
Cameron has played well against us in the past and Rampe will be tested. Rampe will need support from others in defence at times.

In
Grundy / Jones

Out
Smith / Johnson

I have no idea who the Giants bring in given their injury list.

Coaches
Cameron was banned from the coaches’ box by his assistants after round 10 and has had to sit on the bench. Since then the Giants have won 9 and lost 1. Who ever is coaching the Giants from the coaches’ box is doing a good job. Not sure if Longmire knows where the bench is.

Giants like to play on and move the ball through the corridor while the Swans like to defend for long periods and beat their opponent on the rebound.

Two opposing styles but with the Giants injuries mounting they may not have that usual run with Shaw and possibly Kelly out. Our defence is regularly tested this year and given the midfield woes at times they will work overtime this week. Giants still have a decent forward line and they may kick a little straighter than the Dees. Our forward line can be guilty of relying on Franklin not only to kick the goals but also for him to set up other goals. However, with Papley finding form and Ronke, Hayward we should offer the Giants defenders some problems.

Prediction:
Two weeks ago I would have said we had no chance, but the Giants have lost 7 players to injury in the last two weeks. Swans have more to play for given the finals are no guarantee.

Swans by 13.

Great Preview Olian!

Surely there are more injuries this year than previously... I just can't believe that is usual for so many teams to be decimated both during the year and then again heading into finals!

Their injury list over the last few weeks is nuts.

Shame in a way as they were logical fool to Richmond.

Agree with the excellent op that a free weeks ago I thought this was loss and even with our improved form this would have been hard.

Not sure even this bunch of crazy talented players can cover what they have lost recently.

We should win this, our expected ins are perfect covers for the outs.

Go us.

Kelly out is obviously a big loss for us. He spent Sunday night in Hospital under observation after displaying worrying symptoms. Has apparently improved rapidly but I'd be shocked if he plays.

Whitfield and Tomlinson will have to lift to cover. Shiel may move more outside to a wing role as well. Last time you pretty much tagged Whitfield out, but he's been copping tags a lot this year since then and is getting better at handling them. How that goes will be important.

Zac Langdon and lately Brent Daniels have being doing great work as pressure forwards, and not getting much recognition, they will keep your backs on their toes moving the ball out. Alir and Rampe are very dangerous I think, so that will be interesting.

Not sure what impact Heater's loss will have, he's always there so it's new ground. Probably less important than a couple if years ago though.

Hopefully both teams get through this in one piece with the pointy end approaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope not!!!! And that's not meant to be a criticism of Reid, it's just that he'll quite likely get injured 10 minutes into the game!
Agree, Same Reid has played one game (round 3 GWSon 7 April - seems so long ago!). Hopefully plays at least one NEAFL game.

So keen, haven't seen a game live since North at the SCG. Takes ~3 hrs to get from Canberra to Sydney, but I reckon it'll take about just as long to get to Homebush once I'm in Sydney aha

Both teams tested for depth, but we've been tested for longer and that'll show this week. Swans by 2 goals.

Just a heads up that theres trackwork in the North main line this weekend between Hornsby and Strathfield.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got to love Cityrail...

Let’s do trackwork on a night where GWS vs Sydney, the Bledisloe and the Katy Perry concert is on...

Just great...

So keen, haven't seen a game live since North at the SCG. Takes ~3 hrs to get from Canberra to Sydney, but I reckon it'll take about just as long to get to Homebush once I'm in Sydney aha

Both teams tested for depth, but we've been tested for longer and that'll show this week. Swans by 2 goals.
20 mins at most if on a train from Sydney.

20 mins at most if on a train from Sydney.

On Saturday? Good luck. Albeit depends where in Sydney you are coming from.

Randwick racecourse, then Swans game then Bledisloe. Big day.

On Saturday? Good luck. Albeit depends where in Sydney you are coming from.

Randwick racecourse, then Swans game then Bledisloe. Big day.
Should of clarified. Obviously not from all of Sydney.
Central will have direct trains to Olympic Park as theres events all day night there.

Upside should mean the pubs should be open for a while.

Should of clarified. Obviously not from all of Sydney.
Central will have direct trains to Olympic Park as theres events all day night there.

Upside should mean the pubs should be open for a while.

Don’t bet on those special event trains although I’m so hoping you are correct there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back