Game Day Round 22 v Carlton, MCG, 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I dont think we are any sort of certainty if we face either Pies or Swans. Can we win? obviously. But us "turning it on" isn't what us turning it on was last year. Not even in the same ball park. Our purple patches are less frequent and are shorter in game compared to last year.
There’s enough ability through our group to make a GF. Definitely. We actually played better against Collingwood and lost. I don’t think Collingwood is necessarily better than us, I think they take the game on with more flair but we aren’t less than them from a contested ball game. We are better. Finals is very contested.

I think if we just get through to 2-3 we are most likely playing at the G against the Pies or at the GABBA (which isn’t a big issue for us). I’ll absolutely reserve my judgement re Geelong. Absolutely. Happy to bank that and get some confidence.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
In fairness, we didn't start playing our best footy til the second half of the final game of the season last year
Last year our capacity to hold opposition to a low score was more consistent. We are clumsier in defence this year.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Last year our capacity to hold opposition to a low score was more consistent. We are clumsier in defence this year.
It’s not the defence per say, it’s the ability to have the ball lumped in there much more frequently. Our forward 50 pressure is still bad. Awful in fact. Absolutely drop Ben Brown. He contests with one arm FFS. I’d put Tomlinson at FF just to compete. Melksham also plays tall so it could be a grouping of Melksham, Fritsch, ANB, Spargo, Harmes, Pickett. Jackson or ruck going deeper when needed. Feels we have total immobility up there.

I’d love the message to just be about pressure in the F50. I am probably more optimistic after that win, and kidding myself we are going to get rinsed next week and beyond but who knows.

We played far better footy last year when needed. We could halt opposition momentum at the flick of switch and kick 5 going back the other way in quick time when required.

This year we cant stop run ons and the forward line/midfield is functioning as bad as it has in 3 years.

And..(most importantly) ....Burgo > Griffth. Burgo timed our finals run to perfection, something that Selwyn hasn't been able to do this second half of the year. Not all on him, but its pretty clear hes a decent step down from Burgo.
We were able to do that in our first ten games this year. Agree were not as good as last year but don't think it's quite as bad as stated. Or that or form last year was as perfect as some remember. Geelong, Dogs, Eagles, Hawks, Pies all managed big runs of goals against us.

Still not sold the Burgess loss is as great as stated. Not nearly enough evidence to make a conclusion either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back