Preview Round 22 vs Collingwood @ Etihad, Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Two weeks in the AFL bubble of Melbourne. You'd think we'd want to show the southern states something. Nup, we dish up two weeks of tripe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insights. Question from an outsider - what's happened to Hallahan? I know he came from a good system where even I could get a kick, but is there an issue between him and Rocket? Has he been injured? He seems to be getting omitted every 2nd week.
Someone like Hallahan has a mature body and can hold his own out there would be important for such a young side I would've thought.
Watch a replay of the Essendon game last week. NEAFL stats are a rubbish guide.

Thanks for the insights. Question from an outsider - what's happened to Hallahan? I know he came from a good system where even I could get a kick, but is there an issue between him and Rocket? Has he been injured? He seems to be getting omitted every 2nd week.
Someone like Hallahan has a mature body and can hold his own out there would be important for such a young side I would've thought.

Not sure behind the scenes, but I suspect that Rocket and the other selectors are marking Hallahan down for leg speed and kicking efficiency. Not a great kick and on a fast deck he does look slow for a mid. His best games are in more slippery or windy conditions or a tight defensive game when there are more contests.

Bottom line. If you look at his stats for the Suns, he only gets to 20 touches about half the time. And that is playing as a full time mid who often starts in the square. So not nearly enough production.

This year, he picked up a foot injury in the NEAFL in game 1 or 2 and that really hurt him. Out for multiple weeks when the Suns were playing poorly and he would have got a game for sure.

But it is foolish to drop him and play others who run faster but are too tired to run much.

Watch a replay of the Essendon game last week. NEAFL stats are a rubbish guide.
Agree that the NEAFL isn't a top comp but the Swans and Giants don't seem to be suffering. Doesn't make sense

Not sure behind the scenes, but I suspect that Rocket and the other selectors are marking Hallahan down for leg speed and kicking efficiency. Not a great kick and on a fast deck he does look slow for a mid. His best games are in more slippery or windy conditions or a tight defensive game when there are more contests.

Bottom line. If you look at his stats for the Suns, he only gets to 20 touches about half the time. And that is playing as a full time mid who often starts in the square. So not nearly enough production.

This year, he picked up a foot injury in the NEAFL in game 1 or 2 and that really hurt him. Out for multiple weeks when the Suns were playing poorly and he would have got a game for sure.

But it is foolish to drop him and play others who run faster but are too tired to run much.

Thanks - not sure why the preoccupation with leg speed. It's not like Hawthorn or the Swans or Geelong are blessed with leg speed. I would've thought that having a mature body would assist the development of your kids. But thanks for highlighting his injuries. Hopefully he get a decent run as yo yo'ing from the NEAFL isn't going to do him any good.

My last comment on this game.

We might be cooked and fatigued. But we lost the game in the first 30mins, not the 2nd half of the game. Have to bring effort and intensity at minimum from the beginning. I think we could all swallow if we get run over the top towards the end, but 2 weeks in a row in Melb is unacceptable to 2x below average teams.

We might be cooked and fatigued. But we lost the game in the first 30mins, not the 2nd half of the game. Have to bring effort and intensity at minimum from the beginning. I think we could all swallow if we get run over the top towards the end, but 2 weeks in a row in Melb is unacceptable to 2x below average teams.
We actually kicked more goals than Collingwood (5 to 4) in the Second Half you are spot on.

If C'wood kicked straight that would have been a 20 goal annihilation. It was pathetic from us from start to finish. No sugar coating it. They still out scored us in the second half despite less goals.
I agree l'm trying to illustrate it's not just fatigue because we were definitely better in the Second half than the 1st half embarrassment.

Spot on. Fatigue kicks in later in the game. But real fatigue is following us for 6 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like if Hallahan was playing everyone would be saying "He's too slow, why did Rocket play him after last week" but instead he tears it up in the NEAFL where we know Hallahan and other players have done before and not translate that into senior form.
Sorry but Hallahan doesn't get 35 possessions and kick 4 goals against a quality State League team every week. He's around 25 and maybe 1 goal usually. Just saying.

I feel like if Hallahan was playing everyone would be saying "He's too slow, why did Rocket play him after last week" but instead he tears it up in the NEAFL where we know Hallahan and other players have done before and not translate that into senior form.

I think it has been made pretty clear people are suggesting he should have played only because the comment was made that Callum is cooked

1. Game. to. go.*

*Until trade period where we get reamed of all our players for less than value, take those picks to the draft, pick up some pretty good young kids, watch as these kids become entrenched in our best 22 because of all the injuries we pick up throughout the season, fall apart as the season comes to a finish, rinse and repeat.

Bring on pre-season where news is positive and we are equal with the best teams and I don't hate myself for supporting this club!

If C'wood kicked straight that would have been a 20 goal annihilation. It was pathetic from us from start to finish. No sugar coating it. They still out scored us in the second half despite less goals.
Ha! I'm tipping neither of our sides are playing off in the 2017 GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back