Discussion Round 23, 2016 - Photos and Discussion

Old WCE Royal with the white outline on wings would be mint for this game
tumblr_inline_n2lpruPmCy1qcq9mp.png

Timewaster

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a nostalgia issue, people think it looks right because it's what they grew up with. .... Also see Carlton Monogram issue, the modern monogram is a clearly superior look but they've gone back.
The newer monogram was generic and characterless, it carried none of the Carlton spirit and is missed by nobody.

Younger fans say the same - the current one is far bettet. A clean design isn't necessarily a good one.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
The newer monogram was generic and characterless, it carried none of the Carlton spirit and is missed by nobody.

Younger fans say the same - the current one is far bettet. A clean design isn't necessarily a good one.
Obviously the current monogram is the Carlton fans' favourite so that's the one to use, but my preference was the previous one based on the logo monogram. I found it more professional & heritage-looking and a vast improvement on those wonky sewn-on ones of the 1990s (I used to wonder if John Elliot's grandmother did those so he could save a few bikkies!)

Well it's the table cloth or the Royal needs to be lightened, because last night was clearly a clash
I thought the match-up was OK (I guess I'm used to it) but there would definitely have been a better contrast if WC had used their white clash jumper/shorts

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
View attachment 281320 Not sure if this is anyone's account, but pretty much this.
To be fair on the bottom one, it's not comparing apples with apples when WCE wear a different colour jumper at home and away.
The top one is "Essendon's black with a red sash doesn't clash with Adelaide's jumper in Adelaide, but it does in Melbourne"
The bottom one is "WCE's navy tri-panel (or navy wings) jumper clashes with Adelaide in Perth, but their royal wings don't clash with Adelaide in Adelaide".

A better comparison would be
Adelaide (navy) vs Bulldogs (royal) - one team wears clash
Carlton (navy) vs Bulldogs (royal) - no clash
Adelaide (navy) vs Eagles (royal) - no clash

What interests me is WCE wore their actual clash jumper in the NAB at Unley Oval this year, but I don't know if that's just because they only didn't want to wear royal wings when all the talk was about the navy ones.

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
To be fair on the bottom one, it's not comparing apples with apples when WCE wear a different colour jumper at home and away.
The top one is "Essendon's black with a red sash doesn't clash with Adelaide's jumper in Adelaide, but it does in Melbourne"
The bottom one is "WCE's navy tri-panel (or navy wings) jumper clashes with Adelaide in Perth, but their royal wings don't clash with Adelaide in Adelaide".

A better comparison would be
Adelaide (navy) vs Bulldogs (royal) - one team wears clash
Carlton (navy) vs Bulldogs (royal) - no clash
Adelaide (navy) vs Eagles (royal) - no clash

What interests me is WCE wore their actual clash jumper in the NAB at Unley Oval this year, but I don't know if that's just because they only didn't want to wear royal wings when all the talk was about the navy ones.
There was a rumour that the royal wings weren't ready after the SGI ordeal, and since the clash was exactly the same last year they carried them over, but I'm not entirely sure if that was proven correct or not. (Obviously new players and jumper sizes put a dent in the validity of that).

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I've never noticed how low Melbourne's numbers are on their backs. It looks a little weird, obviously they're trying to keep them fully in the Navy area but still.
I hadn't noticed they'd dropped...used to be the top 2/10 or so of each number was in the red, like the top of the 2 up to the level of where it starts on the left if you get my meaning.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
The Geelong/Melbourne game just highlights how terrible the Essendon/Carlton uniform match up is right now
I wish Carlton would just go back to the straight inversion with Navy Collar and cuffs with their clash jumper. It's a better overall look than constantly trying to add more navy panels to it.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I've worked this out.
Carlton can wear home against Essendon because navy isn't the same colour as black (same as why Adelaide can wear home against Port).
Adelaide can't wear home against Essendon because of the red hoops clashing with the red sash.

Port can't wear black against Carlton because, although navy and black are different colours, unlike Essendon, they don't have a coloured sash or a bunch of white stripes like Collingwood, both of which break up both the front and the back.
St Kilda can't wear black against Carlton because, although they have a coloured bit like Essendon, it does't go onto the back.

Essendon and Richmond wear clash against each other because they actually wear the same colour (BLK notwithstanding)

There's logic in there somewhere. I think I've found it.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I've worked this out.
Carlton can wear home against Essendon because navy isn't the same colour as black (same as why Adelaide can wear home against Port).
Adelaide can't wear home against Essendon because of the red hoops clashing with the red sash.

Port can't wear black against Carlton because, although navy and black are different colours, unlike Essendon, they don't have a coloured sash or a bunch of white stripes like Collingwood, both of which break up both the front and the back.
St Kilda can't wear black against Carlton because, although they have a coloured bit like Essendon, it does't go onto the back.

Essendon and Richmond wear clash against each other because they actually wear the same colour (BLK notwithstanding)

That's the issue. You can justify almost anything if you put your mind to it

Oct 28, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle FC, Hajduk Split,
I've worked this out.

Yet Essendon can wear their home against Adelaide.

Back