Review Round 23, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gave mine to Bailey, Christensen, Martin, Rich (when he wasn't misplaced on defense for those few times) and Berry.

Bailey with his quick footwork and good starting speed really started several drives for us, with Berry coming through the middle nicely. Christensen really good in traffic today and Martin was great around the ground.

Not unhappy with today, with the way we had been going last few weeks i'm glad most had some drive (maybe too much drive in the second qtr..a bit wild there)

Went for Bundy, Beams, Bailey, Stef and Berry

Bundy played one of the best games of any of our defenders have all season. His attack on the footy was excellent.

Even though Beams coughed up the footy and you’d assume his opponent was one of the West Coast mids who had 30 disposals he was a 4 quarter contributor.

Stef won the ruck clearly and was the only reason we were in it at quarter time.

Berry attacked the footy and was clean

Bailey ran so hard and used it well

I thought Cuts, NRobbo and Lester were good too.

Walker was shown up for how rubbish he is defensively. Squizzy, Robbo and Rich were big reasons why were so far behind at half time.

Fortunately West Coast took the foot off the pedal in the second half and let us get away with a respectable loss

Zorko shouldn’t be Captain next year.

Bout summed up the year , good improvement but way to go . Kids knackered last few games. Today Bailey showed he will be a player , would have liked to see ballenden get a run , not sure what big O brings against a top side

Hope Beams stays , couple more quality kids and couple of experienced mids and we are away

Best thing is we have got respect back from opposition

Glass half full - we are heading in the right direction

Glass half empty - we can't see where the direction is heading over the horizon.

Some people will think the glass is shattered and we are going nowhere and not heading to the Promised Land. (and fair enough after the last 10 years)

But I have a Dream. That one day this team will rise up and live up to its creed, "All for one and One for all, We WILL answer to the call, Go Lions, Brisbane Lions, We’ll kick the winning score, You'll hear the mighty ROAR"

May the players, coaches, staff and supporters have a great off-season and look forward to 2019 and beyond. Keep smiling. :smile:

Thanks to MLK

Positive season. I'm a big fan of Fagan but we lost today at selection table. Way too tall in forward line and too slow in defence first half. Then big O goes in centre bounce in first quarter and he gets tap and we get clearances and Fagan doesn't capitalise on that advantage until 4th quarter!!!
Bailey was brilliant today.

Bailey showed his elite traits in spades today. Super talented kid and I am so pumped to see him develop next year.

A bit off season is very important - a fit and firing lions with a few new handy additions will go a long way from turning 5 wins into 10.

I am glad the season is over so the focus can move onto resetting and focusing on next year. Bring it on!

This will sound weird; but I reckon you guys are the most impressive five win side I've seen. A percentage of almost 90 kind of says it all.

I've been able to watch Brisbane a few times this year, and I must say I found it a very enjoyable thing to do; the two games against Hawthorn especially!

I'm extremely bullish about your prospects next year; not premiership-level bullish, but finals are absolutely possible I think. There is so much to like about your list and the way you are coached.

Enjoy the off-season and I look forward to watching you guys next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some comments l thought of during the game:

Negatives:
Darling was giving Walker a bath.
Harris Andrews had a terrible, terrible game. Poor, lazy running giving Darling goals and his spoiling went straight to the opposition in a dangerous area and not over the boundary line.
Zorko must be the worst captain out of the 18 clubs. He is a fantastic player when not tagged but it is just immaturity which is costing us.
McInerny - not a negative of him but probably more of his selection. Wetish game, especially at the start, was basically invisible for the 1st half. Shouldn't have been picked.
Forwards - 2 Key forwards and a 200+cm ruck/forward and only 3 goals between them.

Onto the positive:
Bailey - what a star he is gonna be. 20 odd disposals and 2 goals in his what 9th game or so. Gonna be a gun
Berry - Never stopped trying.
Beams - Keeps doing what he does - either he is playing injured or has had enough of AFL. Looks slow from getting up when on the ground.
Didn't let the floodgates open.
Christensen - Been fantastic down back, hope he continues there next season.

We really need an alternative game plan when opposition teams shut it down.

The way Bailey played today makes me a little sad to see the season over.
He has looked a much better player since coming back into the side.
Up to the pace of the game much better and making much clearer decisions with ball in hand and his pace is great to watch.

Today was crap, scoreboard flattered us. Nothing much to take from it except bailey, breakout game.

Season was a pass mark without being a huge step forward, but generally.. it has been positive.

Looking forward to a rest tbh, but this stage, happy to not have one of my weekend days being poisoned by footy stress for a while lol

Still dont know where we go from here, neither a barn storming finals appearence or wooden spoon would surprise me.

Go lions.

Kinda what I expected. Still sucks, but now we have a framework we can build on and hopefully come out stronger next season.

Now onto the Brisbane Roar...who aren't the best team either...and Wigan Athletic lost this morning too...

I hate football. All codes!

I'm really excited for this pre season. Not because I won't miss the footy, but I think this pre season is going to be huge. Both for trades etc and for our players development. Let's see Rayner, Clugg, Berry, Hipwood etc with another pre season under their belt and the pre season development planned by the coaches. If we lift 10% on our efforts this year there is no reason a 10 win season isn't well within our reach.

I think Zorko's captaincy must been seen in the context that he stepped up when events overtook Beams. He's a bit lairish for sure and a bit emotionally brittle at times but I have nothing but for respect in him trying to assume the mantle of leadership. He's by no means the worst captain in the AFL that's for sure.

Last edited:
I think Zorko's captaincy must been seen in the context that he stepped up when events overtook Beam's. He's a bit lairish for sure and a bit emotionally brittle at times but I have nothing but for respect in him trying to assume the mantle of leadership. He's by no means the worst captain in the AFL that's for sure.

See Marc Murphy.

We played for 1 and a half quarters today. This middle half was terrible. Probably the worst we've seen at the Gabba this year. Sure, we were playing the team in second but that's no excuse for some of the shocking execution and poor decision making.

Bailey was excellent and Beams was good in between so many hits I'm surprised he didn't need carrying off the field. Berry and Stef were both good and both Robbos ran all day. Disappointing day to finish a pretty positive season (if you ignore the win-loss anyway :D )

Back