Review Round 23, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Very salty and let down by today. Got my hopes up... shouldn't do that. Poor team selection really. Big O should not have played. It is amazing that our results rely on how well Hugh McLuggage plays. Kid burnt out last few rounds and so did our performances. Another pre season and he'll be booming for next year. Him, Berry and Witherden in the same draft. :thumbsu:

******* cricket season

So into the off season we go.
Charlie Cameron back.
Rayner a bigger tank to play midfield.
Zac Baily a bigger body and the same speed.
Hopefully McStay gone at least from a regular firsts spot, Walker to move forward with Wooller and Fullerton his understudies
Eagles into the backline with Skinner and Payne as his understudies.
Gardneir back in the team.
Cox and Starcevich (thought he came good in the end of this game) undestudies for the Mid field
Inside midfielder recruited in trade period.
Christensen stay in the back line

Looking forward to it.

Very salty and let down by today. Got my hopes up... shouldn't do that. Poor team selection really. Big O should not have played. It is amazing that our results rely on how well Hugh McLuggage plays. Kid burnt out last few rounds and so did our performances. Another pre season and he'll be booming for next year. Him, Berry and Witherden in the same draft. :thumbsu:

******* cricket season
Cricket season aint gonna be pretty with no Smith/Warner

Haven't seen the game but noticed Matho with his face bandaged up again. Was it a result of his ducking tactics?
Nope, he copped an elbow when he was going on for a tackle IIRC.

Not sure why this whole ducking thing continues. See it on other boards but he rarely ducks anymore. There is the odd one here of there but no more than any other player anymore.

I was kidding.

I have liked his game a lot more since he stops trying to duck every contest. He will be a better player for it.

Such an exciting game from Bundy. He looked his old self. Was never going to be a quick journey back to 100% after so much time off but that should give him confidence going into next year.

If this team comes good, Berry will be talked about as an absolute gun of the competition. Brilliant player.

Bailey also very exciting.

We need to fill some gaps in our depth over the off-season, especially in the midfield. But other than that we look on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were a couple of useful things to come out of this game I think:

- Bailey can really play and with a decent preseason can hopefully begin to play some portion of his time in the midfield next season. Bailey, Rayner, Berry and McCluggage are our great midfield hopes in the medium to long term.
- Bundy looks like he could have a home down back. He may be a useful small defender with an attacking mindset going forward.
- it seems clear that Zorko’s role will need to change somehow because he is going to be tagged out of games in his current role more often than not. It may be that he becomes less a midfielder and much more a small forward.
- Berry is an outstanding potential A grader and with a big preseason he could really explode next season - maybe not elite just yet but the signs are good.
- Cutler is shaping up as a good player but he needs to be in the game for the whole game. The same could be said of Taylor.

Such an exciting game from Bundy. He looked his old self. Was never going to be a quick journey back to 100% after so much time off but that should give him confidence going into next year.

If this team comes good, Berry will be talked about as an absolute gun of the competition. Brilliant player.

Bailey also very exciting.

We need to fill some gaps in our depth over the off-season, especially in the midfield. But other than that we look on track.

Kinda sucks he hit such form in the last two games. Would've been great for him to get a stretch like this before the season ended. Definitely looking refreshed though.

Kinda sucks he hit such form in the last two games. Would've been great for him to get a stretch like this before the season ended. Definitely looking refreshed though.

Would have been tough. Probably lost trust in what his body can do + just picking up the game again after so long out. If he can bring what he brought in the final few games of the season next year then it will be massive.

I think we have matured beyond needing the 3 tall setup. I agree if straightened us, but don’t think it’s needed now.
McInerney was a liability today.
Gee Lester was good. That chase he put on showed some speed to. Still would like to see him have a few midfield runs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still think Lester absolutely belongs in the centre. His bodywork and positioning is sublime.

Can't wait to see what the coaches will do with him next year when more talented players are back in the team.

It is. If only he wasn't a liability when the ball cleared. I've liked him as a defender the second half of this year though.

Starcevich did some very nice things that probably won't get noticed. Haven't looked at any numbers to see his CP/UP breakdown, but if anyone watches a replay, he showed his clean skills at ground level on a number of occasions to gather the ground ball and get clean hands to a team mate. Now a few occasions the team mate fumbled the handball which is really unfortunate, but it wasn't because of the handball. Just showing some of the traits that will keep him playing AFL over someone like Ben Keays.

Starcevich did some very nice things that probably won't get noticed. Haven't looked at any numbers to see his CP/UP breakdown, but if anyone watches a replay, he showed his clean skills at ground level on a number of occasions to gather the ground ball and get clean hands to a team mate. Now a few occasions the team mate fumbled the handball which is really unfortunate, but it wasn't because of the handball. Just showing some of the traits that will keep him playing AFL over someone like Ben Keays.

If he can get 20+ a game he will be a quality AFL player. His tackling is rock solid and disposals are bordering elite. Just needs more of the pill and he will well and truly shine at AFL level. Exciting prospect!

I reckon Starcevich’s floor is something like Lester with more damaging disposal. He’s got cleaner hands too. Even that is enough to play a consistent role. His upside looks substantial too.

Back