Game Day Round 23, 2018: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.
vKUEXUF.png

Previous Meetings:
Round 2, 2018 - North Melbourne (13.17.95) defeated St.Kilda (5.13.43)
Round 22, 2017 - St.Kilda (18.19.127) defeated North Melbourne (12.6.78)
Round 13, 2017 - North Melbourne (10.12.72) lost to St.Kilda (12.17.89)

Preview
St.Kilda v North Melbourne

933465_thumb_326x184.jpg

After two poor performances against the Western Bulldogs and Essendon, the Saints turned it around against the Hawks on Saturday night at Etihad Stadium. In a back and forth contest throughout, the Saints never let up, dominating the final quarter but unable to take the lead - in the end losing by 4 points in what was most definitely an improved performance from weeks prior.

A day later it was the Kangaroos traveling across to Adelaide to face the Crows. With finals seemingly out of the equation for both sides, the desperation to win the game was evident. Adelaide took a commanding 28 point lead into half time before extending their lead to 37 points on the eve of three quarter time. But four late goals to North left the Crows reeling and in a frantic final few minutes Adelaide were able to just hold on, ending the Roos slim finals chances.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jarryn Geary, Jake Carlisle, Bailey Rice
HB: Sam Gilbert, Logan Austin, Jimmy Webster
C: Daniel McKenzie, Jack Steele, Ben Paton
HF: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Jack Billings
F: Jade Gresham, Rowan Marshall, Ben Long
Foll: Lewis Pierce, Jack Steven, Sebastian Ross
I/C: Blake Acres, Jack Newnes, David Armitage, Jack Sinclair

North Melbourne Best 22
B:
Majak Daw, Scott D. Thompson, Marley Williams
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Robbie Tarrant, Shaun Atley
C: Luke McDonald, Jed Anderson, Trent Dumont
HF: Sam Wright, Jarrad Waite, Mason Wood
F: Jack Ziebell, Ben Brown, Kayne Turner
Foll: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Shaun Higgins
I/C: Nathan Hrovat, Jy Simpkin, Ryan Clarke, Will Walker

Medical Room

622608_gl.jpg

For the Saints, Jake Carlisle has had a sore back for a number of weeks, and when combined with the birth of his first child late last week, was a late scratching for the game. He is expected to play in the season's finale this week. Jarryn Geary was concussed in a final quarter incident and should be fine given they have an eight-day break while Jack Steven looked hobbled by a sore knee late in the game.

For the Kangaroos, fourth-gamer Will Walker was in everything early before injuring his ankle, and then injuring his left knee in a marking contest. Walker didn't play any further part in the game.

Preview

8626706-3x2-700x467.jpg

After two bad weeks of football and with media spotlight shining brightly on all facets of the club, the Saints have to be commended for their effort on Saturday night against a top four side in Hawthorn. If St.Kilda were more damaging in their last quarter dominance they would've snatched victory from Hawthorn who were playing for a spot inside the top four. After kicking the first goal of the last quarter to bring the margin within a kick, it was missed opportunity after missed opportunity as the Saints lost in the end by 4 points.

For the night it was midfielder Jack Steele doing the business again. Jack has really elevated his game in the back end of 2018 and is firming for a top 3 finish in the club's best & fairest. Although the Saints were beat, Jack can hold his head high - finishing the game with 29 disposals, 7 clearances and a whopping 30 pressure acts in what was a best on ground performance.

Others who stood up included Seb Ross (34 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles), Jack Billings (27 disposals, 6 marks, 1 goal) and live-wire forward Jack Lonie (18 touches & 4 goals).

Second gamer Ben Paton loves himself a goal, too. What a brilliant passage of play from the young Saints.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon and it was the Kangaroos facing the Crows at the Adelaide Oval. North Melbourne needing to win to keep their slim finals chances alive. It didn't look great for the visitors early, trailing by 28 points at the main break before the Crows went ahead and extended that lead to 37 points nearing the end of the third quarter. But don't count out the Shinboners, with the Roos kicking 4 unanswered goals in the last quarter to bring the margin to within a kick in the closing stages. It was back and forth in the last few minutes but the Crows managed to hold on in the end, ending North Melbourne's slight chances at a finals berth.

At the start of the year many predicted North Melbourne to win the wooden spoon, having one of the youngest teams in the competition a challenge far too great to overcome. But North have been fantastic, proving many wrong along the way. Wins against St.Kilda, Carlton, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Fremantle, Brisbane (twice), Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and West Coast - With losses to Gold Coast, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Geelong, Essendon, Sydney, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and Adelaide. After 21 rounds the Kangaroos are sitting just outside the top eight in 10th position with 11 wins and 10 losses. Irrespective of Sunday afternoons result against the Saints, it's been a good year for the boys from Arden St.

Potential changes

488599-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Key defender Jake Carlisle missed Saturday night's game after battling back soreness but more importantly his partner Mel gave birth to the couple's first child on Friday morning. With the Saints having an 8 day break it looks certain that Jake will return to the senior side.

Others who could come into the team to face North Melbourne are Luke Dunstan & Ed Phillips, who had 33 and 34 disposals in the VFL respectively.

Key Match-Ups

who-is-ben-brown-dating-currently-know-all-the-details-about-his-girlfriend-affairs-and-relation.jpg

Higgins v Steele
Jack Steele has been given the task this year of being the Saints defensive midfielder, often taking the role of nullifying the oppositions best midfielder - which, to be honest, he has done very well so far. This weekend Jack will go up against arguably the best midfielder at North Melbourne in Shaun Higgins. Higgins leads the disposal count for the Roos in 2018, averaging a tick over 29 touches a game. If Steele can keep Higgins to a relatively quiet night and halt his influence on the contest it will definitely help the Saints win the ball and get things moving their way.

Brown v Carlisle
Ben Brown sits 2nd in the Coleman Medal race after 22 rounds, having kicked 58 goals from 21 games this year. Who will man him? With Nathan Brown still under suspension, Jake Carlisle seems the obvious match up for the Kangaroos sharp shooter. It will be one of the most interesting match ups across the ground. Both players can take a contested mark and both are in great form. If Carlisle can hold Brown well enough it may just give the Saints enough of a chance to win.

Tip

622455_gl.jpg

After a few poor weeks the Saints put in a solid four quarter effort last Saturday night against a top four side. If North had anything to play for on Sunday afternoon I would say that the Saints would find it tough going, however with both sides eliminated from finals contention, and St.Kilda regaining a little bit of form, I think we can win the game here and end our season on a positive note. I don't think there will be much in it but if we can replicate last weekends performance I think we will get the job done.

Saints by 9 points.

Thoughts?

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another solid writeup George. Well done!

Roos win they move from pick 7 to 9.
Saints win we go from pick 3 to 4.

Some life in this dead rubber draft wise as we'll likely see who's just happy to take the win and end on a positive note.

Last edited:
After two poor performances against the Western Bulldogs and Essendon, the Saints turned it around against the Hawks on Saturday night at Etihad Stadium. In a back and forth contest
Another great write up George.

Thanks for all the ones you've done this season.

Let's hope we finish up on a good note.

GO SAINTS.

Please be the last time I ever have to watch Gilbert
What a crap season

It's likely his last game, you can have a bit of respect for him. He's been a loyal player and given his all. Looks well past it now but deserves a respectful send off.

I think we will win today.
Got the Rosie's on today Indie?

LOL.

For what it's worth....I also think their a good chance.

If they have a crack like last week....I'll be happy with a win or a loss for the last game.

But don't want another last 1/4 like last week....that was incredibly frustrating to watch...…..the game was there for the win...we just didn't have the class or polish to ice it.

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Got the Rosie's on today Indie?

LOL.

For what it's worth....I also think their a good chance.

If they have a crack like last week....I'll be happy with a win or a loss for the last game.

But don't want another last 1/4 like last week....that was incredibly frustrating to watch...…..the game was there for the win...we just didn't have the class or polish to ice it.

Haha yeah the Rosie’s on a bit, just buoyed by our recent form of 1 game without humiliation.

Actually initially I was thinking that North may not want the win as they would jump 3 places but it looks like they will shop their pick for Polec anyway so doesn’t matter to them where they finish.

They’ll be wanting Brown to kick a bag and win the Coleman (needs 7 or 8 I think so unlikely) so that will be the main motivation.

Just reckon our guys have something to prove and a lot of guys wanting to be in the plans for next year will step up. Hope it’s close and a good game either way.

Haha yeah the Rosie’s on a bit, just buoyed by our recent form of 1 game without humiliation.

Actually initially I was thinking that North may not want the win as they would jump 3 places but it looks like they will shop their pick for Polec anyway so doesn’t matter to them where they finish.

They’ll be wanting Brown to kick a bag and win the Coleman (needs 7 or 8 I think so unlikely) so that will be the main motivation.

Just reckon our guys have something to prove and a lot of guys wanting to be in the plans for next year will step up. Hope it’s close and a good game either way.

They are better to trade that pick too, they get a free hit on Tarryn Thomas from their academy. Polec and Thomas for pick 9 or whatever it will be, sounds alright. Has been considered as high as the third best player in the draft but has drifted a bit.

Hope Lonie ends the season with a bag and solidifies a new contract as well as himself as an AFL standard player

Sounds like he's getting traded or delisted. Hasn't been offered a contract.

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sounds like he's getting traded or delisted. Hasn't been offered a contract.

This is really disappointing if true. Just when he finally starts to show that he can cut it at AFL level and string some games together. He’s added a lot the last few weeks.

If it’s the case then I hope we’re expecting a decent return.

Only reason I can think of is it’s to try and get back into the 2nd or 3rd round this year, if so then it’s just exacerbating the hangover from some of the dumb trade moves last year.

This is really disappointing if true. Just when he finally starts to show that he can cut it at AFL level and string some games together. He’s added a lot the last few weeks.

If it’s the case then I hope we’re expecting a decent return.

Only reason I can think of is it’s to try and get back into the 2nd or 3rd round this year, if so then it’s just exacerbating the hangover from some of the dumb trade moves last year.

Reckon he's not got enough form to get much for him. I reckon if he's not contracted and not offered a contract that's a delisting. Probably get a 4th rounder or something at best. I reckon if they are delisting him it's because we put Minch and Wright on 2 year contracts and lost flexibility and don't want to do that again.

Saints to win by 7 goals and show we have a far better list - hoping Austin has a stand out game to show he will be our stalwart key defender.

I reckon Austin is more of a loose defender who mops up rather than a pure KP. Probably the back up for Carlisle.

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reckon he's not got enough form to get much for him. I reckon if he's not contracted and not offered a contract that's a delisting. Probably get a 4th rounder or something at best. I reckon if they are delisting him it's because we put Minch and Wright on 2 year contracts and lost flexibility and don't want to do that again.

Minch, Weller, Connellan and Wright are all players that can / have played as a forward for us at AFL or VFL and at the moment I’d be looking at trading/delisting those players before Lonie.

He’s essentially been given a lifeline to save his career the last few weeks and he’s taken it with both hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back