Autopsy Round 23, 2018: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

I hope the club really takes Paddy by the scruff and whips him into shape over the off-season. If we can get him closer to the body shape of his brother he will be in the right space to impact, IMO. There is no doubt he has a great forward footy IQ. We need to stop trying to turn him into Tommy Hawkins though.

upload_2018-8-27_13-3-42.png

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
I suppose DAW did not get reported for his attack on Lonie. ????????
In pl.ay and our guy saw him coming
POOR old Browny get 3 weeks for bumping Saad, who tribunal said did not see him coming
even the umpire at the hearing said he could have effected the play ( dismissed )
time for a new younger Legal to represent us at the hearings , who does his homework , and does not Wing it like our guy did

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hope the club really takes Paddy by the scruff and whips him into shape over the off-season. If we can get him closer to the body shape of his brother he will be in the right space to impact, IMO. There is no doubt he has a great forward footy IQ. We need to stop trying to turn him into Tommy Hawkins though.

View attachment 550340
He is never going to run down to take ball in defence either.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Given that North were a team that won more games than they lost this year (and finished ahead of 3 teams who also won 12 games and had percentages over 104%), it's worth noting that these were the notable unavailable lists from the respective teams:

North:

B Jacobs
T Garner
B Hartung
E Vickers-Willis
M Wood (in game)

St Kilda:

D Roberton
J Bruce
N Brown
S Savage
T Hickey
B Longer
P McCartin
J Battle
K Stevens

I think I know which list I'd rather be adding to my team, and I think 8 of ours were in the seniors at the time they got injured/concussed/collapsed, as evidence that they were best 22, or near enough to it.

Then we had all of the following out there who never really regained their good to excellent pre-injury form once they returned to the side this year:

Carlisle
Webster
Acres
Long

So while it's frustrating and disappointing that we didn't win either of these last two games, we did actually put up very competitive efforts against teams who finished 4th and 9th (combined losses of 27 points), for a team that started the year with the 4th youngest and 2nd least-experienced list, who were missing about 8 or 9 who likely would have played these games, had they been available and in form, and who had another 4 on top of that who weren't what they were pre-injury.

So it's far from all doom and gloom.

As far as the year goes, we obviously got off to a shocking start, and almost everyone was out of form/down on confidence, our game plan was putrid, and we had crippling yips in front of goal, and then by the time we started playing better footy and kicking better for goal, our injuries/suspensions had started to really add up, and on top of that, we had what would have to been the hardest draw (or near enough to it- we didn't play any of the bottom 9 teams twice, which is incredible :eek:), so it's not really hard to work out why we finished bottom 4.

With our age and experience profile, combined with our brutal draw and lack of "truly elites", it was never going to take much for the wheels to fall off, and unfortunately that's what happened.

Not that hard to see how we could turn things around reasonably solidly next year if we fix up a lot of the things we stuffed up this year though, as long as we don't go and gut the list.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Given that North were a team that won more games than they lost this year (and finished ahead of 3 teams who also won 12 games and had percentages over 104%), it's worth noting that these were the notable unavailable lists from the respective teams:

North:

B Jacobs
T Garner
B Hartung
E Vickers-Willis
M Wood (in game)

St Kilda:

D Roberton
J Bruce
N Brown
S Savage
T Hickey
B Longer
P McCartin
J Battle
K Stevens

I think I know which list I'd rather be adding to my team, and I think 8 of ours were in the seniors at the time they got injured/concussed/collapsed, as evidence that they were best 22, or near enough to it.

So while it's frustrating and disappointing that we didn't win either of these last two games, we did actually put up very competitive efforts against teams who finished 4th and 9th (combined losses of 27 points), for a team that started the year with the 4th youngest and 2nd least-experienced list, and who were missing about 8 or 9 who likely would have played these games had they been available and in form.

As far as the year goes, we obviously got off to a shocking start, and almost everyone was out of form/down on confidence, our game plan was putrid, and we had crippling yips in front of goal, and then by the time we started playing better footy and kicking better for goal our injuries/suspensions had started to really add up, and on top of that we had what would have to been the hardest draw (or near enough to it- we didn't play any of the bottom 9 teams twice, which is incredible :eek:), so it's not really hard to work out why we finished bottom 4.

With our age and experience profile, combined with our brutal draw and lack of "truly elites", it was never going to take much for the wheels to fall off, and unfortunately that's what happened.

Not that hard to see how we could turn things around reasonably solidly next year if we fix up a lot of the things we stuffed up this year though, as long as we don't go and gut the list.
Would give this multiple 'Likes' if i could!

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

North:

B Jacobs
T Garner
B Hartung
E Vickers-Willis
M Wood (in game)

St Kilda:

D Roberton
J Bruce
N Brown
S Savage
T Hickey
B Longer
P McCartin
J Battle
K Stevens

So while it's frustrating and disappointing that we didn't win either of these last two games, we did actually put up very competitive efforts against teams who finished 4th and 9th (combined losses of 27 points), for a team that started the year with the 4th youngest and 2nd least-experienced list, and who were missing about 8 or 9 who likely would have played these games had they been available and in form.

As far as the year goes, we obviously got off to a shocking start, and almost everyone was out of form/down on confidence, our game plan was putrid, and we had crippling yips in front of goal, and then by the time we started playing better footy and kicking better for goal our injuries/suspensions had started to really add up, and on top of that we had what would have to been the hardest draw (or near enough to it- we didn't play any of the bottom 9 teams twice, which is incredible :eek:), so it's not really hard to work out why we finished bottom 4.

It really highlights how few players we have in that sweet 25-30 age bracket, and how much those players missing games impacts the rest of the team. Our injuries really hit the bracket we could least afford to lose, and a lot of the injuries were just bad luck.

I guess the silver lining is getting games into some younger players and hopefully they will be much stronger moving forward from the taste they got this year.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Last week's coaches votes (just announced, to build the suspense):

ST KILDA v HAWTHORN
9 Jack Gunston (HAW)
9 Jack Steele (STK)
5 Shaun Burgoyne (HAW)
3 Jade Gresham (STK)
2 Jarryn Geary (STK)
1 Jack Lonie (STK)
1 Sebastian Ross (STK)

This week's:

ST KILDA v NORTH MELBOURNE
10 Trent Dumont (NM)
7 Jack Steven (STK)
4 Todd Goldstein (NM)
4 Jarrad Waite (NM)
3 Shaun Higgins (NM)
1 Ben Cunnington (NM)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Jack Steele, WTF!!??? :eek: o_O

10 Trent Dumont (NM)
7 Jack Steven (STK)
4 Todd Goldstein (NM)
4 Jarrad Waite (NM)
3 Shaun Higgins (NM)
1 Ben Cunnington (NM)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Hahaha that's baffling

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers

ST KILDA v HAWTHORN
9 Jack Gunston (HAW)
9 Jack Steele (STK)
5 Shaun Burgoyne (HAW)
3 Jade Gresham (STK)
2 Jarryn Geary (STK)
1 Jack Lonie (STK)
1 Sebastian Ross (STK)

This week's:

10 Trent Dumont (NM)
7 Jack Steven (STK)
4 Todd Goldstein (NM)
4 Jarrad Waite (NM)
3 Shaun Higgins (NM)
1 Ben Cunnington (NM)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Steele 1 vote against North :drunk:

Apr 12, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

ST KILDA v HAWTHORN
9 Jack Gunston (HAW)
9 Jack Steele (STK)
5 Shaun Burgoyne (HAW)
3 Jade Gresham (STK)
2 Jarryn Geary (STK)
1 Jack Lonie (STK)
1 Sebastian Ross (STK)

This week's:

10 Trent Dumont (NM)
7 Jack Steven (STK)
4 Todd Goldstein (NM)
4 Jarrad Waite (NM)
3 Shaun Higgins (NM)
1 Ben Cunnington (NM)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Continues the trend of opposition Ruckmen getting in the votes against us. I wonder if any of ours even received a vote in any game this year?

North:

B Jacobs
T Garner
B Hartung
E Vickers-Willis
M Wood (in game)

St Kilda:

D Roberton
J Bruce
N Brown
S Savage
T Hickey
B Longer
P McCartin
J Battle
K Stevens

Then we had all of the following out there who never really regained their good to excellent pre-injury form once they returned to the side this year:

Carlisle
Webster
Acres
Long

So while it's frustrating and disappointing that we didn't win either of these last two games, we did actually put up very competitive efforts against teams who finished 4th and 9th (combined losses of 27 points), for a team that started the year with the 4th youngest and 2nd least-experienced list, who were missing about 8 or 9 who likely would have played these games, had they been available and in form, and who had another 4 on top of that who weren't what they were pre-injury.

As far as the year goes, we obviously got off to a shocking start, and almost everyone was out of form/down on confidence, our game plan was putrid, and we had crippling yips in front of goal, and then by the time we started playing better footy and kicking better for goal, our injuries/suspensions had started to really add up, and on top of that, we had what would have to been the hardest draw (or near enough to it- we didn't play any of the bottom 9 teams twice, which is incredible :eek:), so it's not really hard to work out why we finished bottom 4.

I think even North know they need to do what the Hawks did and get some guns in soon or the cliff is coming. They are running after anyone that will improve their list and hopefully avoid bottoming out any time soon. Nothing wrong with that.

To be competitive this year we needed player improvement, a similar injury run to the last few years, a good draw and a bit of luck. Unfortunately we had pretty much everything go wrong instead.

. Unfortunately we had pretty much everything go wrong instead.

Compounded by the loss of over 800 games of experience from Roo, Joey and Dempster.

Great post there aussie.

It certainly reminds us why in part(the coaching/tactics/selection policy is the other part).........we finished where we did.

And it is truly amazing that we didn't play any of the bottom 9 sides twice...….can't wait for the 2019 draw to be released.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
My worry is that the current trend will continue, ie: Everyone young becomes an average GOP because our development is so poor.

This is what needs to be fixed above all else
The difference in coaching and development would not be that different. Game plans are another matter. Mcartin Gresham may be great we have a lot GOP imo players that will remain that no matter who is coaching them. In today's game this is not as bad as not having players who can't kick.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Great post there aussie.

It certainly reminds us why in part(the coaching/tactics/selection policy is the other part).........we finished where we did.

And it is truly amazing that we didn't play any of the bottom 9 sides twice...….can't wait for the 2019 draw to be released.
Hot tip.
Richmond, collingwood and essendon get the best fixtures and timeslots.
Melbin get any leftover timeslots.
Saints back to sundays. Play the above teams twice so they dont have to leave the city.

Hot tip.
Richmond, collingwood and essendon get the best fixtures and timeslots.
Melbin get any leftover timeslots.
Saints back to sundays. Play the above teams twice so they dont have to leave the city.
Saints Death....reckon you can go to the collect window for yr tip.....you'll def be on the money with the above...…..you can back it in IMO.

Back