Review Round 23, 2019 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I often catch myself comparing Berry’s progress to Clug. Fact is, they’re 3rd year players, with the extent of the latter’s development a pretty huge outlier.

Can't compare them this year at all. One had good health and no injuries to speak of, the other had a debilitating illness then an injury that kept him out of the game for a while.

One is bound to go ahead of the other in those circumstances.

Remember that Bez was probably playing better footy last year as well. Young players can improve at different rates.

Don't be shocked if berry goes to another level next year, don't be shocked if it takes him a couple.

Can't compare them this year at all. One had good health and no injuries to speak of, the other had a debilitating illness then an injury that kept him out of the game for a while.

One is bound to go ahead of the other in those circumstances.
His glandular fever was at the very mild end of the scale so hardly debilitating and only moved to a modified program for a week or so.

Defensively we didn't do a lot wrong apart from the poor midfield defensive pressure in the first quarter. We did not hold our shape and the penetration was lacking in our forward 50 entries. This let Richmond intercept and switch off half back. Our defensive run was too deep. This meant their players could run with the surge and outnumber at the contest and then use their added numbers to handball up to half forward and then penetrate deep into our defensive 5 thus neutralising our defensive outnumber.

Our forwards struggled with the delivery from the middle. Compare Cotchin running out of the middle and hitting Reiwoldt versus Zorko getting a clean clearance and then flubbing it over Mcstay head before it trickles over the boundary line. He was caught in two minds whether to shoot or pass. Hopefully next time he runs to 40 odd and shoots. We need to get better at controlling the ball around our F50 arc. Aim for short passes to other midfielders or go for long range shots. This will naturally put doubt into the mind of their back 6 on how deep they fall back. This will then lead to more space out the back.

No way Neale gets as much space next time. I expect Dusty and Cotchin will play longer midfield minutes and they will get Nank back. Therefore we won't have the luxury of contested possessions we enjoyed this week.

I have faith in Fagan. I remember the nuffie comments denigrating Fagans tactical nous in 2017. He has clearly proved that to be wrong. I cannot wait to see what creativity he shows in the finals.

My gut feel is that Fages tried some stuff in the first quarter that didn’t work, or he didn’t show his full hand - why would he, game just had to be kept under control and that was going to be enough.
I’m tipping a different story come Saturday night.

My gut feel is that Fages tried some stuff in the first quarter that didn’t work, or he didn’t show his full hand - why would he, game just had to be kept under control and that was going to be enough.
I’m tipping a different story come Saturday night.

Would have been a huge confidence booster to have won. Not that I think much damage was done from losing but if we were to make the grand final having won our last game at the MCG against a strong opponent it would have been huge.

I don't think he was messing around with our form.

Berry is a GUN, but he still has things to learn. You can bet your bottom dollar that the coaching department pointed out the issues with his play at the 24 second mark of this clip. He lost his feet, was caught "ball watching" and completely ignored Dusty Martin. You just can't give one of the most damaging players in the AFL a three metre start. Berry needs to improve his defensive awareness in the middle if he is going to get the same assignment this week.

Berry is a GUN, but he still has things to learn. You can bet your bottom dollar that the coaching department pointed out the issues with his play at the 24 second mark of this clip. He lost his feet, was caught "ball watching" and completely ignored Dusty Martin. You just can't give one of the most damaging players in the AFL a three metre start. Berry needs to improve his defensive awareness in the middle if he is going to get the same assignment this week.

Thats pretty harsh. Don't think he was "ball watching", he was trying to tackle the guy with the ball. Maybe forgot his role? Is he there to win the ball at the coalface or is he there to try and stop Martin at all costs?

Thats pretty harsh. Don't think he was "ball watching", he was trying to tackle the guy with the ball. Maybe forgot his role? Is he there to win the ball at the coalface or is he there to try and stop Martin at all costs?
Kind of both, but the main point is that BERRY IS A GUN and he will continue to learn and improve. I could believe it when I came to this page after a bit of a break and saw that people were questioning his performances, because BERRY IS A GUN!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it was after Half time that Fages switched Adams with Gardiner on Riewoldt. Riewoldt was nullified after that. Can't let Riewoldt get too many, hope we keep Gardiner on him
Reading online the other day that Richmond want to keep the ball away from Harris Andrews so they will attack through whoever Adams lines up on. They think they have identified a weakness. I think Fages will play Andrews on Lynch and Gardiner on Riewoldt. With his marking power, I'd love to see Adams go forward and McStay go back. Forwards need to lead more and clunk marks inside 50 this week.

Forwards need to do what the coaches ask of them. I'm fairly certain McStay is doing exactly what Fages is asking of him.
Doubt he was last week. Intercepts galore in the forward line and from McStay's direct opponent. Remember reading an article (Can't remember by who) with one of the players in the forward line saying that they wen't away from their "process" or something like that

Some posters credit Gardiner on shutting down Riewoldt but I can't recall too many one on ones between the two of them.

There's an article somewhere where McStay said they played too much man on man or something to that effect which wasn't the gameplan.

Doubt he was last week. Intercepts galore in the forward line and from McStay's direct opponent. Remember reading an article (Can't remember by who) with one of the players in the forward line saying that they wen't away from their "process" or something like that
Fagan immediately and readily identified our failure to put forward pressure on opponents and hold the ball as inside our 50 as a shortcoming against Richmond. I suspect that Dan McStay was asked to help do this. I imagine he was also asked to hold his marks and kick some goals. Leaving my pathological addiction to posting about Daniel McStay to one side, I am expecting Fagan to pull a surprise out of his hat in our forward line this week. Adams to the forward line is my tip.

Last edited:
Reading online the other day that Richmond want to keep the ball away from Harris Andrews so they will attack through whoever Adams lines up on. They think they have identified a weakness. I think Fages will play Andrews on Lynch and Gardiner on Riewoldt. With his marking power, I'd love to see Adams go forward and McStay go back. Forwards need to lead more and clunk marks inside 50 this week.
In that game Lynch did to Andrews what we did to McGovern in round 1.
He drew Andrews further up the ground and in doing so took him out of the game.
So if that is what they are looking at doing then maybe Andrews needs to be the spare? Gardiner on Riewoldt and Adams on Lynch? The height of Lynch on Adams might be a problem there though?

Some posters credit Gardiner on shutting down Riewoldt but I can't recall too many one on ones between the two of them.

Richmond not waltzing the ball out of the centre square from quarter time on was the entire reason Riewoldt was quiet imo. Having said that, I am sympathetic to the idea that dizzy might be a better matchup for Riewoldt so will be interesting to see how they line up on Saturday.

In that game Lynch did to Andrews what we did to McGovern in round 1.
He drew Andrews further up the ground and in doing so took him out of the game.
So if that is what they are looking at doing then maybe Andrews needs to be the spare? Gardiner on Riewoldt and Adams on Lynch? The height of Lynch on Adams might be a problem there though?
Could work. We could play Andrews as a spare in defence. I think that McStay playing back could be a GOOD IDEA. Either way, we need big games out of Witherden, Rich, Bailey, Hodge and Answerth on the smaller Richmond defenders.

Ahhh Fandom. Our Key forwards and Berry have one bad game againts the best team in the league and their entire worth is thrown in to question. Gotter love it.
Man...the blind unconditional love for Berry is seriously nauseating. Some need to take their Berry coloured glasses off.....I haven't read any poster who has questioned Berry's football worth. All that I have said is that I believe he is trying to do too much and is getting himself and the team in trouble. Some other posters have said similar but nobody has slammed Berry nor questioned his footy worth. In my mind, Berry (along with 10-15 of other young guns on our list) is going to be an important/integral part of our best 22 for a long time to come.

Back