Review Round 23, 2019 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fwiw one thing you notice about berry is that when he misses a pass or something he really takes it on himself to make up for it. I can think of multiple occasions this year when he has kicked a goal or had an influence after a missed handball or tackle or whatever that resulted in an opp goal or turnover.

It seems you are splitting hairs tbh, to me he has the capacity to be consistently elite and the only way to get there is to make mistakes and keep pushing.

So he's not doing what the coaches are asking him after they review his game each week. Pleeeaaaase
WOW...Why do you have to put a different spin on what I have said in previous posts??? What coach's ask of Berry is confidential and not for public airing to anyone so why would you make comment suggesting I am saying that Berry isn't doing what the coach's are asking him after they review his game each week?

I am simply saying that in recent games (last 4-5 weeks) Berry in trying to do too much when he has the ball in his possession.....In my opinion.

WOW...Why do you have to put a different spin on what I have said in previous posts??? What coach's ask of Berry is confidential and not for public airing to anyone so why would you make comment suggesting I am saying that Berry isn't doing what the coach's are asking him after they review his game each week?

I am simply saying that in recent games (last 4-5 weeks) Berry in trying to do too much when he has the ball in his possession.....In my opinion.

I think what you're saying is a fair comment and probably a reflection of Berry wanting to have an impact after missing footy due to glandular fever and the knee injury. I think when he reviews his tape, his best work is when he does the team and acts quickly instead of trying to make the big play. It's an easy fix imo so am not worried.

If McStay has 2/3 players on him surely it frees up the other forwards? I'd think our forward delivery is the problem at times not so much McStay.

He has 2/3 players on him because he stands still and attracts them. Watch him he stands there and barely moves. That said our delivery could be improved going forward but if im a midfielder and I look up and see someone running directly at me from 40/50m like Jack Riewoldt did, you have no choice but to hit them on the chest. Our forwards are far too stagnant. Therefore our mids just bomb it to them long.

Never thought of Berry as a selfish player but your post kinda highlighted that maybe the word selfish is right over recent times. Stats don't give you the full picture. There is no doubt that Zorko, McCluggage, Robinson & Neale have had far more influence over each game than Berry even though (as you state) he has had less turnovers. In my opinion, Berry is trying to do too much when he has the ball in his hands & I believe he would be much more useful to the team if he just did played his part.
Absolute joke of a post.

Absolute joke of a post.
Sorry to upset you. You obviously have a much better understanding of the game than I do hence why you are so judgemental. In the future I will always read your posts over and over to try and learn how to be more knowledgeable about the game and leave my opinions (jokes of posts) for another place that's more appropriate.

All that I see with Jarrod Berry is that he takes the wrong option sometimes.
He is young and is bound to learn from those mistakes.
Agree 100%.... As 90% of the team are young. Its all about learning as you go when you are young and inexperienced. Sometimes (often) the best way to learn is to make mistakes. I have no doubt he will learn as experience is gained...same goes for all the young ones who are our future.

Agree 100%.... As 90% of the team are young. Its all about learning as you go when you are young and inexperienced. Sometimes (often) the best way to learn is to make mistakes. I have no doubt he will learn as experience is gained...same goes for all the young ones who are our future.
Ever since Chris Fagan has come onboard it has been all about learning and improvement and Jarrod Berry has been one of the leaders for the young ones in the group.
He will and is learning that sometimes the simple option is the best option.

Sorry to upset you. You obviously have a much better understanding of the game than I do hence why you are so judgemental. In the future I will always read your posts over and over to try and learn how to be more knowledgeable about the game and leave my opinions (jokes of posts) for another place that's more appropriate.
It’s not about being upset and more that you must genuinely not understand football if you think Berry is that type of player.

Berry does an awful lot that goes unnoticed.

1. His DE is 76% good for top 8 with 6 defenders in front of him ( they get cheap stats from chipping around) and Neale the only other non defender above him.
2. 8 contested possessions per game, good for 7th in the team
3. 2.5 clangers a game, only equal 14th in the team
4. 4th in tackles with 4 a game

All those show he’s doing a pretty good job of having an influence on games. Just because it’s not as obvious as the 4 players you named earlier who coincidentally are likely top 4-6 in the B&f doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

It’s not about being upset and more that you must genuinely not understand football if you think Berry is that type of player.

1. His DE is 76% good for top 8 with 6 defenders in front of him ( they get cheap stats from chipping around) and Neale the only other non defender above him.

All those show he’s doing a pretty good job of having an influence on games. Just because it’s not as obvious as the 4 players you named earlier who coincidentally are likely top 4-6 in the B&f doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

He's not saying Berry is a bad player, not best 22 etc. He's saying he sometimes tries to take too much on or impact the game off his own boot instead of doing the team thing. He can do this a few times a game. It's a learning experience for him and something he'll eventually improve on.

Brett, fair enough disagree with posters but there's no need to be a dick about it.

He's not saying Berry is a bad player, not best 22 etc. He's saying he sometimes tries to take too much on or impact the game off his own boot instead of doing the team thing. He can do this a few times a game. It's a learning experience for him and something he'll eventually improve on.

Brett, fair enough disagree with posters but there's no need to be a dick about it.

But how can he say that when he has no idea what role Berry is playing or what the coaches' instructions are???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But how can he say that when he has no idea what role Berry is playing or what the coaches' instructions are???

Yes it's like when posters in a game day thread were complaining about us always kicking it to the back pocket. It later came out that was a tactic rather than inept players.

The one centering kick that missed a target and went straight to opposition few weeks back comes to mind, commentators did say he'll learn from it. But in comparison, Neale did similar corridor kick to Rayner in Q4 against Geelong and that came off, we ran through for a goal. Neale's kick could have equally gone wrong with 3 geelong players around Rayner.

My view is there are certain players who have the license to create depending on what stage of the game we are in. You can see that with Hodge at times directing Harris and Adams to give the ball to Witherden so he can go for "that" creative kick. I believe Berry falls in the same bracket for us in midfield, as other posters mentioned even if he fluffs it he more than commits himself to chase and win the ball back. All part of our learning cycle.

Hey Brett C.The acusation about not understanding footy is facinating. To think you can say that over an opinion of Berry is awesome. Further to that, help me better understand your basis by giving me some creds.....Whats your footy pedigree? How much do you know about footy? Did you play the game? If so, at what level? Have you coached before? What position did you play?

I think a number of the “errors” made by Berry are in being caught with the ball trying to use his body to break tackles etc - as our only big mid, I’d expect he’s been directed to play in that way

I think a number of the “errors” made by Berry are in being caught with the ball trying to use his body to break tackles etc - as our only big mid, I’d expect he’s been directed to play in that way

I think he's actually very clean with his disposal when braking tackles for the most part. It's more when he has time to run and think he sometimes doesn't take the right option. It's a learning curve for him like it is for many young players.

Berry’s one that’s probably another year or two from really taking the next step from becoming the real big bodied midfielder that we need at the coal face. Tracking nicely.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that step next year with the experience gained from finals and a full pre-season under his belt.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that step next year with the experience gained from finals and a full pre-season under his belt.
100% agree also. In fact, he and all the other young players who have shown us glimpses of their talents over the last 3-4 years will be so much better in 2020...how exciting is that going to be? You cant buy experience, especially the finals campaign they are about to embark on. How good has Answerth been for us this season. I also expect some of the talls from the NEAFL squad to elevate in senior footy next year. Guys like Ballenden, Payne and hopefully Skinner. Future looks bright.:sunglasses:

I often catch myself comparing Berry’s progress to Clug. Fact is, they’re 3rd year players, with the extent of the latter’s development a pretty huge outlier.

Pretty much along the lines of my thinking too. Clug is the exception to the rule. Not many players have his skill set or are AA type level players in their third season of AFL level footy.

Back