Review Round 23, 2019 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing richmond do pretty well is draw opposition players into tackle and then squirt a handball out to their runners. They line up and off they go.
I thought we tackled well at times today but not for long enough. Some of the missed tackles cost us goals.

We cut the marks they took in our 50 in half and I think we are right in it next time.

Totally agree so many tackles that just didnt stick, and not just on Dusty. Im not sure if we have a tackling coach, if dont we should get one.
Answerth had unfortunately his worst game today, Hopefully he bounces back for next match cause he has come so vital to our defensive unit.

Luke Hodge was probably a tangible example of what finals experience does for you yesterday.

Was clean, made the right decisions and got us out of trouble. One of the only players consistently not overawed by the occasion.

This finals series is going to be such a good learning experience for the team and Hodgey is the perfect player to guide us through it

Had a pretty s**t experience with Tigers fans at the bar I watched the game at. Absolutely disgusting bunch. They all laughed at Hodge as he limped off the ground. Gross fan base.
Sorry to hear that Nunez. Unfortunately the clubs with large fan bases tend to have an undesirable element included. You guys were pretty good today and will have learnt a lot, I also follow Brisbane. Charlie being held by Grimes was important as Charlie can inspire the forward line like no other. I know it has been questioned about Grimes's tactics but Brisbane will need to have a plan in place to counter this if the Tigers repeat the tactic in 2 weeks. Neale was immense today. Brisbane need to come out of the blocks a bit better, great at running teams down but that won't always work against the better teams that they will meet in finals.

My money is on Brisbane at the Gabba. I'll just sit back and enjoy the game like i did yesterday.

Sorry to hear that Nunez. Unfortunately the clubs with large fan bases tend to have an undesirable element included. You guys were pretty good today and will have learnt a lot, I also follow Brisbane. Charlie being held by Grimes was important as Charlie can inspire the forward line like no other. I know it has been questioned about Grimes's tactics but Brisbane will need to have a plan in place to counter this if the Tigers repeat the tactic in 2 weeks. Neale was immense today. Brisbane need to come out of the blocks a bit better, great at running teams down but that won't always work against the better teams that they will meet in finals.

My money is on Brisbane at the Gabba. I'll just sit back and enjoy the game like i did yesterday.

Will be a great game. Hopefully the w***ers at the bar can't afford tickets and the genuine, good fans can enjoy another great game of footy.

It’s just the mob mentality. On their own they are just your standard good-natured alcoholics.

I’ve noticed recently it seems to be Charlie looking to engage with opponents just as much as his opponents look to engage with him. He doesn’t need to. I’d be telling him to try and stand side by side as much as possible. If those chaos balls come in and they have to pull the jumper he’ll get the free kick. When both players appear to be wrestling it’s likely they’ll just call play on.

Like most have commented, I feel we put up a reasonable show, we held our own in most areas. Need work on stopping their run out of our forward line and a plan B to having our small forwards kick opportunist goals. What a difference a leading, marking forward made.

What a long flight home. And lost the cricket.

I’ve noticed recently it seems to be Charlie looking to engage with opponents just as much as his opponents look to engage with him. He doesn’t need to. I’d be telling him to try and stand side by side as much as possible. If those chaos balls come in and they have to pull the jumper he’ll get the free kick. When both players appear to be wrestling it’s likely they’ll just call play on.
Tend to agree.

Amazing day at the G yesterday, surreal to leave the ground feeling genuinely excited/confident after being genuinely beaten by the better side on the day

Unsure how it was on telly, but at the ground, particularly in the third quarter, you could FEEL the boys rise to the occasion. I really believe that we lifted to the next level yesterday and it was absolutely the prep we needed

We ended up out-richmonding richmond! Smashed them in most key areas, but ultimately it was a few school boy errors in the first quarter and a half that cost us. That and unfortunately our chaos balls inside 50 weren’t executed well at all, often rushed and not giving the forwards a chance, easy picking for grimes and co.

The tigs transition from defence to offence was a delight to watch and proved how truly unfair it is that they get to play the G every week.

Gotta give the tiger army credit though, I’ve never experienced crowd noise like that before, genuinely haunting.

Agree with what others have said, mightn’t be a bad idea to throw walker in for McStay, but doubt the coaches will do it. Loved rayners game, looked seriously dangerous in the air and was ferocious defensively.

Harro, hodgey and richy were absolutely brilliant, as were our superstar mids.

Hopefully fages and co can get our forwards to be more switched on, too many times did I see linc, Charlie etc just stand and wave their arms around rather than lead up at the ball. It’s like Charlie doesn’t realise that no one can catch him on the lead, he doesn’t need to wrestle and get it over the back every single i50.

Also on that, why oh why was grimes allowed to just bear hug Charlie the whole game?!

Anyways,

kudos to all the lions fans there yesterday, genuinely felt like we had 20000 there, we made a lot of noise!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentators giving Robbo credit for Answerth's hit when he was second to it annoyed me a little bit. It's good that he's flying under the radar for his hardness at the moment though cos he will be a player made for finals I think, now that all the Yong blokes have got a couple of blockbusters in their experience bank the only way is up.

Was there - Tiger supporters really turn up. Over 100,000 members - amazing. Couple of things. Holding off the ball. Imagine if we did that to Dusty. Hmm. Steph was immense. Hodge - why is he retiring ? And Charlie's uber bold centering kick off half back in the 3rd that got us a goal. So brave. Get him up the ground occasionally ? Tiger ball movement is elite. How we stopped their flow was most instructive.

That's what I have seen as well .
He has sometimes been ball side of a contest but tries to hold them back then turns around and the defender then holds him, it's like both players have just engaged in a wrestle .
He just needs to go for the ball when he is ball side of the contest and hopefully gets the free when they try and hold him.
I suspect he has done this because they haven't been paying him frees when he has been blatently been held.

Have been a fan of Mcstay all year but he was terrible yesterday. His man came off him consistently to impact the contest and when he did get hands on it he spilled it. Confidence looks shot.

our key forwards are a issue at this level , hippy is too light framed and gets rag dolled by the monster defenders , Mcstay just doesn't quite impact the play like a key forward does , we need these boys to be kicking 4 or five between them to win big games. We need to squeal loud and long about charlies treatment or grimes will do it from the start next week , tigers plan to restrict our scoring worked so we need to do something to counter their defence

Have been a fan of Mcstay all year but he was terrible yesterday. His man came off him consistently to impact the contest and when he did get hands on it he spilled it. Confidence looks shot.
I don't disagree with your comments regarding McStay at all; and I think you could almost say the same for all of our forwards. McCarthy went missing for most of the game (not uncommon either for Linc this year), Hipwood, whilst getting on the scoreboard, also allowed his opponent to run off, Rayner was quiet, but competed all day and was the pick of the forwards for mine and Cameron and the tactics of Grimes has been discussed ad nauseum, but the point I wanted to make is that the Coaching team have a lot to work with over the next two weeks in order to exploit Richmond's defence.

Dan has showed enough this year that he has a strong set of mits and can bounce back and I expect he will.

I honestly think that the beauty of our team this year, particularly our forwards and forward set up, is that we can mix things up and I genuinely believe the Coaches deliberately didn't show too many hands yesterday.

Great contest yesterday and fully reflected the respective positions of both Clubs on the ladder. When the season ends with the top three teams equal on points separated only by percentage and the fourth only one game behind you'd have to say finals will be delicious. I thought Robinson and Hodge were critical to you in terms of their hardness, smarts and leadership. Robinson is simply another example of Carlton's long line of poor decisions in discarding players who went on to perform very well at their new Clubs - like Waite at North and Betts at Adelaide.

I suspect both coaches will tweak their personnel and game strategies for next fortnight's game at the Gabba. No doubt our boys will receive a similar ferocious crowd reception than yours did yesterday. Finals bring a whole new meaning to intensity and I fully expect both teams to lift accordingly. Good luck but I hope we win.

we got run out of backline to easily .. Vlasustin marked it off to Baker/Houli and gone. Too many intercepts.
We play 3 talls in the forward line someone needed to make sure ball was not marked and brought to ground.
Missed Bundy's pressure on the way out.

Agree with above Charlie likes to hand on jumpers as well.. So umps just go your both hanging on I pay nothing.
if Charlie did not grab back it be easier to see.

I do wonder if Fagan as come from the Clarko universe.
Went lets try a few things not show a few things.
If we beat them in 2 weeks time we be saying he did.

I'm disappointed but not upset. This is quite honestly still a great outcome - short of winning of course, but how often do you get a 'dress rehearsal' for finals against one of the other top 4 sides of the competition... and then get to play them at home in the next round? We've had a great chance to see what works, what doesn't, what we need to adapt and whatnot.

The 'chaos ball' thing into our forward 50 was pretty easily found out sadly - Richmond were fantastic at the intercept mark and then the lightning fast switch to the fat side of the ground, which they had plenty of runners waiting on. We've been able to avoid that so far because our forwards have done a great job of dragging all their opponents down the field out of our 50, so when the ball comes in we can outrun them in to goal. This is where Charlie has been shining - and he just didn't get that opportunity. This, Chris Scott, is how you nullify Cameron. Not just denying his 5 goal impact was influential in the post-match presser, you nuff.

Neale was immense, I suspect Hardwick is going to do something about that the next time we play - so we will need to see more from the other supporting mids if he does cop a tag. Dusty needs a harder tag from us too, he just runs so hard at everything and still manages to create so much space with his fend offs.

Overall, it was that lapse in the first quarter that ruined the game. Playing in front of a 76,000 large mostly hostile crowd before the games "really matter" would have been such a huge experience for the boys.

What's this though? I honestly don't recall.

What's this though? I honestly don't recall.
I was about to ask this. I don't remember hearing the commentators talk about it. Surely if Bont and co. can get off with a fine, Lachie is safe...

Back